Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Beach Bum
    vCash
    Do you like any particular musical groups? I ask because I recently joined our local Parrothead club (Jimmy Buffett fans) not because I am a huge Buffett fan, but because I am going to my first Buffett concert and I wanted to buy a seat on their bus (instead of driving). As soon as I joined, I got inundated with emails about all their group social events -- meet ups at bars, beach trips, trips to other concerts, dinners, charity events, picnics, sporting events etc. They seem to get together 2-3 times a week. Parrotheads are pretty social Margaritaville types, but there are probably other similar groups for any type of music.

Similarly, our local ballet company has a "Jete Society" - a young professionals group - and a Women's Committee. Both of them meet up for social events, ballets, concerts, opera, and fundraisers. Maybe something like that could exist in your location?
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

DoneIt
    vCash

Update

Thanks to whomever suggested Meetup.com. I did find a support group. They meet up at the same restuarant each month. I've gone twice now. I've met a few people in my area. I was hesitate about showing up, but I did and so far so good.

A few of us afterwards headed to a local bar that was supposed to have a band afterwards. It was loud but we did step outside to chat from time to time (they smoked, I did not). So far a couple guys have given me their phone number or email. I haven't contacted them yet.

I asked one of the woman if this was sort of a dating group, and she said it wasn't supposed to be, but people do end up meeting people to go out with.

is silently judging you
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Hmm, slim pickings indeed. Perhaps, if you are game, you could start your own meetup group, and select an interest that appeals to you?
    This might not be a bad idea, actually. There are probably other people in the same boat as you nearby who just want to find some friends with mutual interests. If you want, you'd be able to use the group to define the age range, gender, interests, or any other characteristic of the people you'd want to mingle with because it's your group.
    The audience I am trying to reach are champion figure skaters. I think they need me the most. -- Morrissey

vCash
    A friend I skate with met her fiance on Craigslist. He has a stable union job, he's handsome and he cleans and cooks. So Craigslist isn't all bad!

I have a lot of friends, but I feel like I never see any of them because we have such different schedules. I often feel friendless just because of that.

I skate two days a week and do yoga two days a week. I meet a lot of nice people that way. We don't really do anything outside of the rink/yoga studio, but I have a lot of nice conversations and it fills the void.

One of my friends does Meetup and likes it. I'm not good with strangers, so I've never tried it.

vCash
    It seems logical that some social meetups end up feeling like dating groups, as you pick a common interest or activity to begin with!
    I am actually an assistant organizer for one of the Boston Meetup groups and I am thrilled the site is popular with FSUers! Something that I didn't know until I started helping out with events is that to have a meetup group costs around $15/month. Therefore, unless you have a large enough active membership base willing to contribute per meetup or out of good will, you may be disappointed in running your own group.
    lurking and delurking

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12