Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    [QUOTE=Iceman;3239878]Are there no other women in her country who skate and compete against her to represent
    that country? You would think after 5 years on the scene she would have some competition.QUOTE]

Kevin van der Perren.

vCash
    Mr. or Mrs? McCorkell certainly doesn't have much competition either. Julia Sebestyn is another.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Does she come from a wealthy family, because I don´t think that her results pay for coaches, etc.?
    She's fully funded by the Georgian Federation.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Are there no other women in her country who skate and compete against her to represent
    that country? You would think after 5 years on the scene she would have some competition.
    Georgia doesn't have any other skaters at present.

There's no proper training conditions and no coaches either.

Vakhtang Murvanidze and Elene both lived and trained in Russia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    She's fully funded by the Georgian Federation.

Georgia doesn't have any other skaters at present.

There's no proper training conditions and no coaches either.

Vakhtang Murvanidze and Elene both lived and trained in Russia.
    Well, it seems Georgia has no senior skaters other than Elene. There was, however, a junior man named Armen Agaian who was sent to junior worlds and finished in last place. I wonder what his training situation is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayana_mnk View Post
    Well, it seems Georgia has no senior skaters other than Elene. There was, however, a junior man named Armen Agaian who was sent to junior worlds and finished in last place. I wonder what his training situation is.
    Ah, I totally forgot about him.

I didn't count Ani Lominadze and Nino Abashidze, who competed at 2010 Junior Worlds because it was their first and only competition.

Hopefully that won't be the case with Agaian (2011 Junior Worlds was his first event).

As for skating conditions, when Elene got expelled from Russia and arrived in Georgia, she was only doing off-ice training because there wasn't a working ice rink. :/

Hopefully that's not the case any more.

vCash
    As for skating conditions, when Elene got expelled from Russia and arrived in Georgia, she was only doing off-ice training because there wasn't a working ice rink. :/

Hopefully that's not the case any more.
    Doesn't this situation violate the ISU rule which says that a country has to have an ice rink in order to qualify for ISU membership? This was a big sticking point in the Puerto Rico membership bid.

vCash
    As for skating conditions, when Elene got expelled from Russia and arrived in Georgia.....
    But you do know the real story..... (I am sorry, in advance, that Russia is bigger than Poland, and visited your lands on few historic occasions, but that's no reason to twist facts)....

Elene was not “expelled from Russia”….

Russia and Georgia, as many know, are now separate countries. Elene had a Residence Permit to live and train in Russia, but her mother did not, yet she, her mother wanted to stay with Elene.

The Mother frowned on the proper Russia immigration procedures, claiming they are too long and too complex, and obtained an illegal (fake) residence permit. Later she claimed she was cheated by a company who guaranteed her legitimate paperwork, which is a complete B.S…. Nobody who spends 1 day in Russia believes that a “private company” can issue a Legal Residence permit…. And if they can…. It’s still through illegal methods of bribery…

The Mother was asked to leave Russia due to lack of proper papers and residence document fraud, and Elene threw a hissey fit about “evil Russia” and left with her Mother….

vCash
    How old was Elene at the time? 16, right? I really wouldn't blame her for having a "hissy fit" over her mother getting thrown out of the country, regardless of circumstance.

vCash

vCash
    Wow, how sweet she is !
    Nune

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    But you do know the real story..... (I am sorry, in advance, that Russia is bigger than Poland, and visited your lands on few historic occasions, but that's no reason to twist facts)....

Elene was not “expelled from Russia”….

Russia and Georgia, as many know, are now separate countries. Elene had a Residence Permit to live and train in Russia, but her mother did not, yet she, her mother wanted to stay with Elene.

The Mother frowned on the proper Russia immigration procedures, claiming they are too long and too complex, and obtained an illegal (fake) residence permit. Later she claimed she was cheated by a company who guaranteed her legitimate paperwork, which is a complete B.S…. Nobody who spends 1 day in Russia believes that a “private company” can issue a Legal Residence permit…. And if they can…. It’s still through illegal methods of bribery…

The Mother was asked to leave Russia due to lack of proper papers and residence document fraud, and Elene threw a hissey fit about “evil Russia” and left with her Mother….

This occured in the aftermath of Georgia's "Rose Revolutions," which caused backlash from Russia-- all the way through to the Ruso-Georgian War of 2008. I am not surprised Russian officials targeted Elene and her mother in these years, and I believe her Russian coach Elena Vodorezova acknowledged the events had a political tenor. It was not a teenager having a hissyfit and an irresponsible mother. They were targeted on a technicality for being Georgians in Russia, a country where law is based on who you are rather than what laws say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olifaunt View Post
    How old was Elene at the time? 16, right? I really wouldn't blame her for having a "hissy fit" over her mother getting thrown out of the country, regardless of circumstance.
    Evgeniy Plushenko was less than 10 years old (I think) when his parents left him in Leningrad (St. Petersburg) with Mishin, and later to live in a dormitory. Plushenko mentioned in his earlier notes that he was very intimidated and bullied by older boys, both at the rink and the sleeping quarters, but he bit his lip and endured.

Oksana Bayoul was slightly over 10 years old (I think) when her mother died, while she was at the rink practicing. She slept on benches at the rink because no-one came to pick her up, until her coach took her in.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    This occured in the aftermath of Georgia's "Rose Revolutions," which caused backlash from Russia-- all the way through to the Ruso-Georgian War of 2008. I am not surprised Russian officials targeted Elene and her mother in these years, and I believe her Russian coach Elena Vodorezova acknowledged the events had a political tenor. It was not a teenager having a hissyfit and an irresponsible mother. They were targeted on a technicality for being Georgians in Russia, a country where law is based on who you are rather than what laws say.
    You are correct about the political atmosphere between Russia and Georgia at the time. Elene’s mother situation however is very generic to any country which has immigration/residence requirements and procedures.

If her Mother tried and tried and tried to legitimately obtain legal residence, and was discriminated against for political reasons, I can see her giving up and Elene in support of her, leaving the country.

But Elene was “somebody” apparently …. …. and being that “somebody” was enough to get her legal residence status officially, in-spite of her being Georgian.

Her mother was not facing “discrimination” with her papers, she never bothered to apply legally; she just did not want to go through a lengthy process, and took an illegal short cut, in congruence with so many people from former USSR, who are used to taking “short cuts” and a by-pass the laws.

When you live in a system for 30-40 years, or even less, like Elene’s mother, and is used to certain ways of solving problems, just because some draws a line called “border” in that geographic region, does not suddenly make you a law abiding citizen…… . Elene’s mother is VERY much a product of Soviet System.. and she got caught at doing things “the old ways”.

Elene and Mother were not “targeted”. If they were specifically targeted then Elene would not get her papers officially. They were randomly stopped on the street for immigration check, and Mother had fake papers. Weather one agrees with Russian immigration checks or not is another story. The point is – Elene and Mother were not singled out and invited to the local MID office for special paper-check…. They were subject to a random documents street check many foreigners are subjected to, including Europeans and North Americans.

And the most important point. Let's say they were "singled out". But if Mother had legal papers, she would not have been asked to leave. The logic "everyone breaks these laws, so why pick on me for breaking them" does not work in courts of law.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Doesn't this situation violate the ISU rule which says that a country has to have an ice rink in order to qualify for ISU membership? This was a big sticking point in the Puerto Rico membership bid.
    MAybe they were grandfathered in as a former Soviet republic?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I think that once you are a member, you can't get your membership taken away just because the rink isn't there any more?

vCash
    I think that once you are a member, you can't get your membership taken away just because the rink isn't there any more?
    That's amazing, but it would also explain how AZE has remained in the ISU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    That's amazing, but it would also explain how AZE has remained in the ISU.
    Well but that's only if a member is active, ie. has skaters training elsewhere and competing.

Just to clarify, I am just guessing here but this appears to be the case.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Ah, yes, the old way, like in the Moskvina interview where she got Berezhnaia registered at her address, when she was really living with Sikharulidze's family.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Happy she's still competing. She's fun to watch and is always a highlight of competition - I love a skater who *loves* her audience)

(But I hope she goes back to natural brunette. Blonde, not right for her)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12