Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    ja, i meant "terrible" as in for someone who is being trained to be a professional dancer. If she were a regular little kid who loved dancing, i would never say such a thing, but, its a show about training future "stars". It bad enough she is being forced to dance, but she is also in this trainwreck of a show. She is a very pretty little girl, perhaps he would prefer to try modeling..

its nearly 230 am, my choice of words are becoming not so good!
    *snort* I'd bet money none of those kids makes any kind of living as a dancer. Maybe Maddie if she doesn't burn out, though anyone NOT involved with reality TV might take one look at this show and say "No thanks." (I'd be curious to know if anyone, even Maddie, actually got a call back from the casting agent.)

vCash
    I hereby vote for "Where Have All The Children Gone?" as someone's long program music for 2011-2012.

Time to wow those judges and make the Canadians drop their knitting.

4 More Years
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viennese View Post
    I hereby vote for "Where Have All The Children Gone?" as someone's long program music for 2011-2012.

Time to wow those judges and make the Canadians drop their knitting.
    Seems to me it is crying out for an uber dramatik dance team. Unfortunately, I can't think of a single team in this season that would do it justice.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    See, I liked it. It was nicely weird and creepy, and much more sophisticated than I'd have expected. (The choking only looked odd because Mia made a ridiculous face doing it. She was too literal.) WAY better than watching either another prostitot or cutesy number.

Kathy MUST have been recruited to be on this show to cause drama, I'm starting to think. Does she ever do squat with her other studio? Yanking the costume at the last minute wasn't just being a beyotch to the other moms, which, okay, they're adults (allegedly), they can fight back, that was jerking Brooke around, which is a low blow.
    I think Kathy is a plant - I think she is an actress who is being paid for this.. i've been trying to watch the episodes on youtube but most have been yanked as we don't get the show here.. any links would be appreciated
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

4 More Years
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    I think Kathy is a plant - I think she is an actress who is being paid for this.. i've been trying to watch the episodes on youtube but most have been yanked as we don't get the show here.. any links would be appreciated
    you can watch full episodes on the lifetime website. lifetime

I think Kathy is a plant too, she is too utterly ridiculous.

vCash
    Kathy is way too OTT to be real. The whole mom's dance where she just started doing a solo and then in the interview said that they should have expected her to do something like that is just bizarre!

vCash
    I know that this is soooo wrong, but I am sick of Maddie and even more her mom Melissa. I watch this show now just hoping Maddie will lose. Someone tell me I am not the only one who feels this way.

I am so glad Nia finally got a win. Abby Lee does talk to her and treats her badly.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I don't find Abby overly rough, compared to some riding instructors I've had. I actually find it a little fake some of the moms are NOW going "OMG, you are so cruel" once the cameras are on. And it was a Bollywood routine, Holly, sheesh. Just be glad it wasn't LaQueefa and move on. (It was a cute routine and I'll take it over Yet Another Maddie Lyrical Number.)

And I call BS on Chloe's mom being all "Oh, I wasn't the one upset about fourth." She is ALWAYS upset when her daughter doesn't place first.

I did find the whole thing with Brooke and whatshisname rather silly--Abby and the moms should have zipped it about chemistry, Brooke should have sucked it up and sold the dance and stop worrying about OMG BOY HOW EMBARASSING. The boy was the only professional one of the lot. And I can't blame him and his mom booking it--he WOULD take the blame for it flopping and it wasn't his fault the whole routine was a mess.

And I feel so, so sorry for Vivi-anne. That poor child was a pawn in her mom's weird famewhoring. I say was, but I have a feeling we have not seen the last of Kathy.

vCash
    All of these moms are too much to be believed. Until this past week, I thought Holly was the most reasonable of all of the moms. Being an Afr Amer woman who took dance class, I think that she's being a little melodramatic about the cheetah print. I don't know that I would have wanted my child parading in a wig, but it's a costume and a dance....whatever. I was glad to hear that Holly had a husband and other children. I didn't realize....I thought she was a single parent. Not a bad thing, we just didn't know anything about her.

One other thing on Holly....I can't imagine that she's pulled Nia out of school to participate on this whirlwind tour of Abby's. My mother, like Holly, was a school principal, and there's no way in hell that she would have allowed me to miss a day of school to go dance. Does anyone know if this was over summer break or something? How much school do these kids miss for this?

I do agree that there is a definite difference between she treats all of the girls and Maddie. I get where the other moms are coming from with that accusation, but they would probably deal with that to some extent in any school. Teachers have pets, granted, but it shouldn't be so obvious who they are.

I don't understand why Kathy is part of the school. Both she and her daughter are resisting the entire process. Kathy wants to do things on her terms; she should have kept Vivi at her dance studio. Vivi doesn't want to dance at all. The poor kid. She's the worst kind of stage mom--when the kid says, "I don't wanna," it should be the end of the line. And you're right....she'll be back. I'm waiting to see her kids in direct competition with Abby Lee's.
    Last edited by FiveRinger; 09-01-2011 at 06:20 PM.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    I know that this is soooo wrong, but I am sick of Maddie and even more her mom Melissa. I watch this show now just hoping Maddie will lose. Someone tell me I am not the only one who feels this way.

I am so glad Nia finally got a win. Abby Lee does talk to her and treats her badly.
    You are not alone. Melissa reminds me of every "everyone is so jealous of my daughter" stage mother you see on T and T. I don't dislike Maddie but sometimes you learn more from a loss than a win. That said I do enjoy her dances although they all look the same. But that is Abby's problem. It kills me that Abby thinks so highly of herself. Brooke is who I feel badly for: She wants to be a cheerleader...she wants to be with her friends and her own mother admitted that Abby only sees her as an acrobat. Why force her to continue? And don't these kids have school?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    How much school do these kids miss for this?
    My niece usually missed about 6 days a year doing "away" comps. Most are scheduled around school breaks, but not every school has the same schedule.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Someone else must be teaching these kids how to dance/acro. Abby Lee is morbidly obese and cannot demonstrate anything.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemomaz View Post

I think Kathy is a plant too, she is too utterly ridiculous.
    I'm wondering if she auditioned to be the star, the one whose dance school was featured, and then when she lost out to Abby she found another way to get in the spotlight. I think she's there to promote herself and her school and this is a way to get her foot in the door. You know, no publicity is bad publicity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    I'm wondering if she auditioned to be the star, the one whose dance school was featured, and then when she lost out to Abby she found another way to get in the spotlight. I think she's there to promote herself and her school and this is a way to get her foot in the door. You know, no publicity is bad publicity.
    I'm wondering if she wanted to check out the competition from the inside to see how Abby runs her studio. I would hate to see her using her daughter but I don't much care for her anyway.

vCash
    Just saw this for the first time yesterday while in my hotel room (I don't get Lifetime at home) and it is my new guilty pleasure! I'll check out the other episodes on Lifetime.

Not hating here, but has there been any reason given why Abby became so overweight? Seems very odd for a former dancer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    Someone else must be teaching these kids how to dance/acro. Abby Lee is morbidly obese and cannot demonstrate anything.
    Maybe, but somehow I can't imagine Bela or Marta Karolyi demonstrating anything either.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Just saw this for the first time yesterday while in my hotel room (I don't get Lifetime at home) and it is my new guilty pleasure! I'll check out the other episodes on Lifetime.

Not hating here, but has there been any reason given why Abby became so overweight? Seems very odd for a former dancer.
    From everything I've read on her, I'd guess she was never "dancer thin". I'd also guess she was never a good technical dancer. Her focus has always been choreography. I don't think she teaches dance at all, just choreographs and does 1-on-1s that are probably about critique, not realy teaching.

But there are plenty of former dancers who were "dancer thin" who become overweight.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Maybe, but somehow I can't imagine Bela or Marta Karolyi demonstrating anything either.
    I do think the Karolyi's could actually stand on one foot or jump in the air
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    My skating coach is far from morbidly obese (she's quite fit) and has never demonstrated anything to me except edge-type stuff. Not sure how it works with dance, but in skating I mostly see verbal instruction except for very low level stuff for the tiny tots (i.e., a one-foot spin is shown vs. a camel). Even the younger skating coaches I see aren't showing triple toes, etc., including some who are still competing. Maybe it's just my rink?

You can teach without showing as long as the kid is not a visual learner. Maybe that's Nia's problem, except she could learn by watching the other kids.

Kathy is not an actress but an actual dance studio owner who appears to be a reality whore. Like people said, better bad publicity than none. She may be a good teacher, I have no idea, but I feel for her daughter. It's like she adopted a mini me, and the kid just doesn't love it. The kid might love it if there was actually some team playing/interaction with the other girls, who would definitely feel no threat from a six-year-old with limited skills. I've seen kids who never got past axel who didn't really want to skate but ended up liking skating just because of the great friendships at the rink and stuck with it recreationally.

Abby yells so much her voice is hoarse. Um...warning sign, lady? One of my mom's friends was a substitute teacher and lost her voice for six months from yelling too much. She thought it made her more of an authority figure. Weirdly, in real life, she's the nicest lady.

Maddie is really talented, but I fear this show (as well as the crazy dance world) will give her warped perceptions of her talent and/or she'll injure herself and end any career prematurely.

The preview for next week looked like the scripted reality show, let's show bitches getting drunk. I have no problem with getting drunk, but honestly if I was on one of these shows I'd do sober living for the season. These shows exploit that stuff and Cliff note the worst moments to make these people look like total asses. Not good for them or their daughers. Even though I'm enjoying this train wreck, I don't get why Abby Lee is so up for this. At best, she's coming across as too strict and mean with some talented kids. At worst, she's coming across as a control freak dealing with psycho mothers with kids who'll be extremely mentally damaged up the road.

All I can say for the kids is that the fact that they know they are on national television during these competitions and aren't totally falling apart (with a couple of exceptions, though not terrible), it's amazing they are doing so well. Kudos for that.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I don't actually find Abby that strict with the kids, but all my family are Eastern European (parents are first-generation, raised by Polish and Ukrainian immigrants.) My standards may be blown, between that and starting out in hunter/jumper. I find skating coaches and dance teachers amazingly nice.

As for any demonstrations as-needed, anyone noticed the brunette girl who sometimes appears and seems to be helping or directing things? I'm sure there are younger teachers and assistants around, they just don't get camera time.

I don't get why the moms who drink are such giggling idiots about it, unless they're doing it for the cameras and think it's cute or something. They act more like drunk college girls, 'tee-hee, alcohol.' They can only edit from footage that actually occurs.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast