Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Okay: Kathy, get a life. The costume thing was just bitchy.

And you know, that "Where Have All the Children Gone" routine? I'm not an avant garde fan, but it worked. Nicely kind of unsettling and creepy.

Chloe's Mom: Much more humanized, but the Maddy thing? LET IT GO, WOMAN.

vCash
    Kathy came across as mean....

The Where Have All the Children Gone number was weird and the little girls pretending to choke themselves, stab themselves, and jump off the stage were

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Kathy came across as mean....

The Where Have All the Children Gone number was weird and the little girls pretending to choke themselves, stab themselves, and jump off the stage were
    This must be the latest episode. I'll catch it on Hulu once it gets posted there. That number sounds like it is in very poor taste.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    This must be the latest episode. I'll catch it on Hulu once it gets posted there. That number sounds like it is in very poor taste.
    See, I liked it. It was nicely weird and creepy, and much more sophisticated than I'd have expected. (The choking only looked odd because Mia made a ridiculous face doing it. She was too literal.) WAY better than watching either another prostitot or cutesy number.

Kathy MUST have been recruited to be on this show to cause drama, I'm starting to think. Does she ever do squat with her other studio? Yanking the costume at the last minute wasn't just being a beyotch to the other moms, which, okay, they're adults (allegedly), they can fight back, that was jerking Brooke around, which is a low blow.

vCash
    Kathy was a total witch with a "B" for doing that to Brooke at the last minute. Sometimes the moms are so wrapped up in their own crap that they forget the dancing is about the girls and not them! Whenever they have those arguments they shouldn't do it in front of those girls.

Maddie's a very talented girl but I do feel sorry for the others at times, particularly Chloe b/c she's always coming in 2nd...but that's not Maddie's fault. Both of them are very talented. I personally prefer Chole's lines to Maddie's, but Maddie does have a sparkle about her when she dances that the others can't really match. She's a really good performer in addition to being a good technical dancer, so she tends to have a leg up on everyone.

Vivianne needs to be pulled from that school. The child said she hated the costumes, the makeup, all of it...she's only doing it b/c of her crazy mom.

Nia's mom needs to stop complaining. She's upset that Nia's not being called for solos like Maddie, Chloe and Brooke are, but the point is Nia isn't as good as any of those girls. She needs a lot more work before she reaches their level and her mom needs to recognize that.

I thought the Where Have All the Children Gone routine was a risk, but it was worth it. It wasn't like the skimpy prosti-tots routine where it was just completely inappropriate and risque; this routine was a bitter deeper than the average dance competition stuff for that age group. I think it was a good call by Abbey and I did agree with everything she said about trying to get them to convey the story to the audience. That's what dancers are supposed to do and IMO it's never to early to start learning to become a better artist, especially if these girls have plans to pursue dancing as a career. It was a powerful piece that they pulled off well enough, so kudos to Abbey for stepping out of the box on that one.

Next week is going to be interesting too. I told my mom the other night when we watched it that it would be cool if producers can find an ice rink with competitive skaters to follow; they could call it Ice Moms! Competitive figure skating is as cutthroat as cutthroat sports go, so it'd be full of drama...I'd love to see that!

vCash
    I only watched a little of it last night, and I'd never seen this before. I have to say that I thought the "where have all the children gone" theme was ! Those kids were far too young to do something that dark. I also do not think something as horrible and serious as missing children should be a dance theme for competition, it seems inappropriate.

That said, some of the little girls are quite talented.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I have to say that I thought the "where have all the children gone" theme was ! Those kids were far too young to do something that dark. I also do not think something as horrible and serious as missing children should be a dance theme for competition, it seems inappropriate.
    This (in bold). That was the last thing on my mind when I was their age.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post

Maddie's a very talented girl but I do feel sorry for the others at times, particularly Chloe b/c she's always coming in 2nd...but that's not Maddie's fault. Both of them are very talented. I personally prefer Chole's lines to Maddie's, but Maddie does have a sparkle about her when she dances that the others can't really match. She's a really good performer in addition to being a good technical dancer, so she tends to have a leg up on everyone.
    This. I do like Chloe's look a bit better, but her mother needs to step off a bit. There is no grand conspiracy to make Chloe lose. If anything Abby tossed Maddie off the deep end by moving her from oldest in her group to youngest. AND SHE STILL WON. That's not "OMG Abby is trying to set Chloe up to fail", that's "Apparently the judges like something about Maddie a LOT." Unless Chloe's mom thinks Abby is going around politicking and bribing judges.

Vivianne needs to be pulled from that school. The child said she hated the costumes, the makeup, all of it...she's only doing it b/c of her crazy mom.
    Not to sound like evil speculator, but does Vivi even look like she's Kathy's biological daughter? Kathy's lunatic attitude makes me wonder if she went out and adopted a girl specifically to play out her dance issues. In any case Vivianne looks miserable, and painfully outclassed by the other girls in that group. The only one who looks less thrilled to be there is Brooke.

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    The thing that bothered me the most was the blatant cheating. That dance was in the 11 and under division because they use the average age of the group. She put the two 6 year olds to lower the age and they did nothing but swing/push the swing and did no dancing. The star of this routine was Brooke who is 13(!).
    Last edited by Mozart; 08-19-2011 at 06:03 PM.
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    The thing is that Maddie and Chloe were in different categories for their solo. Maddie won 1st with her solo and Chloe won 1st with her solo as well. Maddie won the overall high score but they weren't directly competing against each other.

A few episodes ago they showed Maddie winning and Chloe looking upset, well what they didn't show was that they were in different age divisions and they both came 1st. The producers are manipulating and causing drama! (ETA: look on page 2 of this link to see the proof http://www.starquestdance.com/result...%20Results.pdf)
    Last edited by Mozart; 08-19-2011 at 06:32 PM.
    ~James Galway

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    The thing is that Maddie and Chloe were in different categories for their solo. Maddie won 1st with her solo and Chloe won 1st with her solo as well. Maddie won the overall high score but they weren't directly competing against each other.
    This last one? Didn't they say straight out "Maddie is being moved up into the 9-11 year olds" and Chloe's mom was so upset because they weren't in the same category originally, and that she beat Chloe by half a point?

vCash
    Yes, Maddie won high point overall each of them won 1st for their solo in their style. How it works is that they have categories for all the different dance styles (like lyrical, tap, theatre, jazz, etc) and than they rank everyone according to their scores. I guess if you compare it to skating it would be like having say 6 flights of the same level but different styles like solo dance or improv ,etc and giving medals for each flight and at the end ranking them according to who has the highest score from all of the flights. The fact that they were 1/2 a point apart is really, really close considering they were in different "flights".
    Last edited by Mozart; 08-19-2011 at 06:00 PM.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post

Not to sound like evil speculator, but does Vivi even look like she's Kathy's biological daughter? Kathy's lunatic attitude makes me wonder if she went out and adopted a girl specifically to play out her dance issues. In any case Vivianne looks miserable, and painfully outclassed by the other girls in that group. The only one who looks less thrilled to be there is Brooke.
    Vivi-Anne was adopted from Guatemala
    ~James Galway

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Vivi-Anne was adopted from Guatemala
    What do you want to bet she wanted a girl to use as a dance doll? (And I still think Kathy was specifically recruited to do the TV show to cause drama. That, or she's making up her other studio--who's running it while she's busy trying to mess with people at ALDC?)

vCash
    Kathy posted somewhere (lost the link) several months ago that she was going to audition for the show. She's definitely been cast.

ETA: They actually did do the prostitot number again in the recital. There was a really quick shot of 2-3 of the girls in their slut costumes standing backstage at one point. It was a "blink and you'll miss it" moment.

So much for the moms feeling so strongly about that disgusting dreck.

vCash
    One thing I'm confused about is the age thing. How can you qualify for nationals "skating up" - or is there no such thing in dance? In skating, you can't skate junior at regionals and then skate novice at sectionals/nationals. I assume they go by age, not level? The kids are really good, but the scripting of the moms is driving me loco.

vCash
    God I feel sorry for Kathy's daughter. Once she is older and able to stand up to her mother I wonder if Kathy will even treat her as one of her own. Then having a fit over another girls costume and snickering when she didn't place in the top five---awful, wicked witch. And her snippy comments about who needed Botox---sorry Kath you can have all the injections in the world and it will not help as you are ugly from the inside out. I think I dislike her even more than Abby.

vCash
    I dont understand how Brooke's mum could have been taught by Abbey, they look about the same age.

Kathy is ridiculous. Who is looking after her studio in Ohio? Does she commute from Ohio to Pittsburg daily? (im terrible at US geography... are they very far away?) The situation with her daughter is sad, she is a terrible dancer and has no interest in it either. It is not a good advertisement for her studio when her own daughter is below par. Also, what she said regarding divorces a few episodes back was weird, something like "i know people that get divorces, but im happy with my life thank you" or something along those lines.

Maddie appears to be technically better, from my non dance knowledge point of view, and she does have that extra spark. Chloe is a good dancer also, with nice lines. I feel for Brooke, let her cheer and go to the mall.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    It would depend where in Ohio they are--I would assume close to the PA state line, so it's possible.

I don't know it's fair to say Vivi's "terrible" (and kind of mean.) She's about as good as 99% of kids out there, including most who take lessons--average at best and REALLY disinterested. No one ever wants to say it but most kids doing anything aren't any good at it and are awful to watch--the only two in this class who might really have something are Maddie and Chloe (Maddie's got bravura, Chloe has lyrical qualities), and MAYBE Brooke if she still actually wanted to do it. Seriously, their mother needs to let go of her hangups about her own dance "career". Maybe someone should make her watch "Center Stage" a few times and explain "See Maureen's mother? That's you. See Maureen? That's your kid in five years if you don't knock it off."

As for Vivi, she's about what you'd expect from the majority of any kiddie studios, but I think (especially given the "mom" dance and how that went) it's pretty clear Kathy really doesn't care and wants to be the star herself.

vCash
    ja, i meant "terrible" as in for someone who is being trained to be a professional dancer. If she were a regular little kid who loved dancing, i would never say such a thing, but, its a show about training future "stars". It bad enough she is being forced to dance, but she is also in this trainwreck of a show. She is a very pretty little girl, perhaps he would prefer to try modeling..

its nearly 230 am, my choice of words are becoming not so good!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast