Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

Bryce Davison's plans

Skate Canada has issued a press release today (link not available yet) -- here is the full text:
    OTTAWA, ON: Two-time Olympian and 2008 world bronze medalist Bryce Davison is looking forward to the next phase of his figure skating life. The pair skater, who won three national championships and the world bronze medal with partner Jessica Dubé, has completed his Level I Coaching Certification, and is looking to begin coaching young athletes.

While not completely ruling out competing again, Davison, 25, from Huntsville, Ont., is realistic about recovering from the injury that kept him out of the 2010-2011 season. He underwent knee surgery in October 2010 to re-attach a bone fragment. “Since I’m not actively competing this year, we’ve been a little more conservative with the recovery. There’s no need to push it, so for the next six to twelve months, I’m not doing any jumps on a consistent basis.”

Davison has returned to his roots in Hamilton, and has already started to coach at the club he represented since the age of seven, the Hamilton Skating Club. He’s excited about encouraging more boys to take up the sport. “Figure skating has been such a big part of my life, and it has offered me so many opportunities. I combined figure skating and hockey until I was 15, playing rep hockey up to bantam. But I really love figure skating, and would like to help more boys see it as a sport they want to pursue. It’s my opportunity to give something back to the sport I love.”

Davison is going to continue with his online university studies through Athabasca University, working towards a degree that would take him into the medical or scientific field. He’s also looking forward to volunteering with Skate Canada, perhaps as a future team leader, travelling with young competitors to events.

Mike Slipchuk, Skate Canada’s High Performance Director, would welcome Davison’s experience in that area. “Bryce was a member of our national team for many years, and is a terrific ambassador for the sport. As an Olympian and world medalist, he will be a wonderful addition to the roster of former athletes who help inspire our up and coming skaters.”
    ETA link: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-18-2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: to add link

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Good for him. One of the great things about Canadians each year is seeing all the former competitors at the boards, passing their experience, skills and encouragement to the next generation.

vCash
    Wish Bryce all the best as he begins the next stage of his skating career. Looks like he has settled in at the rink in Hamilton. And it would be great if he can bring more young boys to the sport!

vCash
    Best of luck to him in his coaching career!

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Good luck to him!!
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    Best of luck to Bryce! I'm sure the younger skaters will learn a lot from him.

vCash
    Very smart choice. He's going to be a great coach. Looking forward to seeing him on the other side of the boards.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Bring more boys to the sport, Bryce!! We sure need them.. Best of luck in your future.

Not summer :(
    vCash
    Best wishes, Bryce! You are a wonderful role model for young male skaters!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Great move, I think! I have a feeling he'll make a great coach.
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    I wish him good luck with his coaching career. If he was living here, I would take him as my coach for sure lol!

vCash
    To be honest, personally I think Jessica was the person to drag them down, although she was also the person who shone. I really hope Bryce having a happier career as a coach.

vCash
    I am so glad to see that Bryce is coaching here in Hamilton!! Hmm, might be time to put my daughter in CanSkate ...

vCash
    Good luck, Bryce!!

vCash
    For anyone in the Hamilton area who might be interested:

@HamiltonSkating HamiltonSkatingClub
    Watch CHCH News at 6pm for interview with Bryce Davison recorded this morning.
    This made me :
    @LoriLiveCHCH Lori De Angelis
    @ Hamilton skating Club & talking to 2xolympian & world medalist Bryce Davison. Omg he's so cute! Focus Lori focus http://t.co/VKYS7ad
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Cambridge Times article (August 4, 2011): Davison not quite ready to retire
    While Davison hasn’t set a firm deadline about how long he can stay out of competitive skating before he has to hand up his blades, he has a rough idea.

“I imagine if I don’t (compete) next year I’ll probably never really go,” he said.
    “I’ve already kind of moved on with starting to coach and figuring out where I want to be. I have a pretty fun gig going on right now in Hamilton.”

Besides continuing the online courses at Athabasca University in Alberta, Davison earned his level I coaching certificate and has been working with young skaters in Hamilton for a month. He’s in the process of moving to Hamilton from his parents’ home in Huntsville, where he recovered from surgery.
    “If something comes along in the winter and spring next year. We’ll see.”

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Thanks for the link Sylvia and the quote from it.

Just from watching Bryce interact w/the little ones at SC a couple of years ago, I had a feeling he'd be a great coach some day. I really hope this new direction in his skating life is a very successful one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfanfun View Post
    To be honest, personally I think Jessica was the person to drag them down, although she was also the person who shone.
    To me it was Bryce who shone. They both have greater posture, but IMO Bryce's stands among garden variety male pairs skaters in terms of both posture and grace.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    To me it was Bryce who shone. They both have greater posture, but IMO Bryce's stands among garden variety male pairs skaters in terms of both posture and grace.
    Yeah, to me there was nothing that thrilling about Jessica Dube.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Yeah, to me there was nothing that thrilling about Jessica Dube.
    ITA with both of you I will miss Bryce's skating but wish him all the best as a coach. Lucky little skaters in Hamilton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast