Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ponta1 View Post
    What a mean and rude thing to say! She may be a "thoroughly pedestrian and dull skater with zero performance qualities" to you, but SHE IS a two-time world champion.
    Outside of the ISU there is freedom of speech. That poster was just giving her opinion.

I think she is pretty and an excellent jumper, but her retirement to Japanese ice shows would be good for the sport. She does not advance the sport stylistically or otherwise. She was a great athlete who made an important mark from 2003-2007. Now would be the time to go out on top. It is important to leave when someone still wants you there.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 07-19-2011 at 07:36 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    She will make it in Japan because their audiences seem ready to embrace any Japanese skating champion (as well as the more appealing non-Japanese skaters).

IMG/SOI will perhaps continue to try to ram her down our collective throat for a while, but she will never be popular in the US because she is, let's be honest, and thoroughly pedestrian and dull skater with zero performance qualities.
    She might make a decent living off of it in Japan, but I doubt she will be a huge success there either.

For last several years, figure skating in Japan has been all about Mao Asada for whatever the reason. Even when Arakawa won OGM, she was overshadowed by Asada and IMO, Ando isn't going to fare much better.
    Chances are, Ando will likely have a less of a pro career than Arakawa, who has an OGM as well as a world title.
    Last edited by RumbleFish; 07-19-2011 at 08:42 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ponta1 View Post
    What a mean and rude thing to say! She may be a "thoroughly pedestrian and dull skater with zero performance qualities" to you, but SHE IS a two-time world champion.
    So are Trixi Schuba and Annett Poetzsch, and they are Olympic Champions too. Ando as a skater fits into their category, except they were amazing at figures.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Ando as a skater fits into their category, except they were amazing at figures.
    I bet they couldn't do this.

vCash
    Miki Ando's future as a pro skater: can she make it?

I think she already has.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    She might make a decent living off of it in Japan, but I doubt she will be a huge success there either.
    I think she'll be popular in her home country, but I don't think she'll be enormously popular overseas in the U.S., Canada, or Europe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12