Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    I think maybe I was just in the right mood for what they had to offer, cause I was not at all bored, although part of that could just be that I was intrigued by them and just excited to see how she'd do with someone new- but they did skate 1st and Donlan/Speroff came next and as nice as Dube/Wolfe were, D/S program was a thousand times better. Then CastShnaps skates and rocked my world too. But I can't say I didn't enjoy them...but who knows, maybe I will see them on tv and think they are a total snooze- wouldn't be the first time that happened!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    No, he has competed in more events than that. He competed in novice pairs with Justine Gosselin for a year, then spent two years as a junior with Tara Hancherow.

Absolutely, he needs more experience, but I see no reason to be negative at this point. He has very strong skating skills, is a good singles skater, and since he wants to continue his pairs career I'm glad that he has this opportunity.

Rome wasn't built in a day.
    I stand corrected. So it’s 8 or 10 competitions instead of 6. Still pretty inexperienced. I like Seb’s skating and think he has the potential to be a nice pair skater down the road. But he needs to be allowed to develop according to a schedule that’s appropriate for him. I’m not entirely confident this will happen.
    Last edited by shutterbug; 07-18-2011 at 10:37 PM.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    I'm sorry but my reaction at Liberty was

Jessica has the technique and she's certainly a quality skater. But there was no chemistry there and no magic in the program, it was snoozeworthy like most latter-day D/D stuff.
    I remember people calling V/T a disappointment when they saw the first clips with them. (Now obviously Wolfe isn't nearly as experienced as Trankov) But I think they DO need a bit of time before we can judge them. I'd think they first need to get comfortable with each other, and then we will see about chemistry.

vCash
    It all looked pretty ok to me for a new team. Give them time to gel. It just makes pairs more interesting here in Canada. I hope they do well and I wish them all the best.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    If it were up to me (which of course it isn't) I would love to see them try something jazzy and upbeat. Something with some energy and playing a bit to the audience. I would even be okay with the odd "oh" face if it meant there was some animation.

I don't know enough about pairs to judge, but stylistically it looked a lot like D&D with a triple flip and no Bryce. Did Sebastian actually land a triple or did he double it - I can't tell from the video.

I do wish them the best. I'm sure they just need more time together. Hopefully, like other have mentioned, there isn't too much pressure put on Sebastian.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    For a partnership that's a few months old, not that bad at all. They were never gonna be V/T, but they could be on their way to challenge for top 2 at Canadians and earn a spot at worlds. Will be interested to see how they do at the Quebec summer competition in a few weeks.

Crazy Russian Tundra
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I remember people calling V/T a disappointment when they saw the first clips with them.
    There really were people saying this?
    D/W definitely need more time anyway, regardless of everything that was said here, just because they have teamed up not so long ago, but I don't think it is really worth comparing D/W and V/T.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FarFarAway View Post
    D/W definitely need more time anyway, regardless of everything that was said here, just because they have teamed up not so long ago, but I don't think it is really worth comparing D/W and V/T.
    Dube had a world medal with her former partner before either Trankov or Volosozhar did, and even though she sounds like as big a head case as Trankov was before being coached by Moser and Morosov, she doesn't look as dire skating with Wolfe as she did for the last few years with Davison. Both Dube and Wolfe have excellent skating skills, but it's too soon for that to show, since they were relatively tentative.

When the first video of V/T came out, there were comments about how slow they looked and how simple their program was, which isn't surprising, given how short a time they had been skating together, not to mention the plan for them to not rush it all but to get the elements down one-by-one before they got fancy.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Crazy Russian Tundra
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Dube had a world medal with her former partner before either Trankov or Volosozhar did, and even though she sounds like as big a head case as Trankov was before being coached by Moser and Morosov, she doesn't look as dire skating with Wolfe as she did for the last few years with Davison. Both Dube and Wolfe have excellent skating skills, but it's too soon for that to show, since they were relatively tentative.

When the first video of V/T came out, there were comments about how slow they looked and how simple their program was, which isn't surprising, given how short a time they had been skating together, not to mention the plan for them to not rush it all but to get the elements down one-by-one before they got fancy.
    While I agree with the fact that it is too early to judge D/W and analyse their skating, but still I think that D/D lacked some stability and I am very much afraid this will happen here, although, of course, I hope for the best. I saw V/T at some Russian competitions, and even though they had been skating at the time just for some months - there were more emotions and energy than in D/W case.

In D/W skating I didn't see any emotions at all, the lifts were not very, well, stable and the death spiral was really surprising.

But, again, I agree with you on the point that they need more time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    If it were up to me (which of course it isn't) I would love to see them try something jazzy and upbeat. Something with some energy and playing a bit to the audience. I would even be okay with the odd "oh" face if it meant there was some animation.
    But all Jessica Dube can do is look either very uninterested or as if she's about to faint.

Crazy Russian Tundra
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    But all Jessica Dube can do is look either very uninterested or as if she's about to faint.
    She is very concentrated, probably?

vCash
    I'm of two minds on D/W. On the one hand they clearly show great potential with their skills. They could very conceivably develop into a fine and elegant pair that challenge internatioanlly once they gel together.

On the other hand, with dometic competition like Duhamel/Radford, MT/M and even Lawrence/Sweigers they have a huge curve to catch up to. All these teams are VERY hungry and set to prove themselves, especially D/R. I'm not sure D/W are nearly as hungry as the others.

In fact, I think D/R are so focussed and determined at this point, that if their development arc continues they could be crowding the world podium.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    If it were up to me (which of course it isn't) I would love to see them try something jazzy and upbeat. [/b]Something with some energy[/b] and playing a bit to the audience.
    The problem is, Jessica skates with no energy. Zero. She is extremely one-dimensional as a skater. She never shows any passion or artistic flare. I think Camerlengo tried to get some passion out of her with that Requiem For a Dream SP they had in the Olympic year but Jessica failed pretty badly at it.

Someone pointed out to me that she's not very musical either. She just skates through the music. Her musical range is really limited IMO.
    Last edited by Rafter; 07-19-2011 at 05:29 PM.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    The problem is, Jessica skates with no energy. Zero. She extremely one-dimensional as a skater. She never shows any passion or artistic flare. I think Camerlengo tried to get some passion out of her with that Requiem For a Dream SP they had in the Olympic year but Jessica failed pretty badly at it.

Someone pointed out to me that she's not very musical either. She just skates through the music. Her musical range is really limited IMO.
    ITA with this. When she first came on the scene she was so lovely, and I think we all thought she could be one of the greats. Turns out that was largely a result of Wilson's choreography, someone's smart music choices, and good costuming. Over the years, one began to see that what we saw in the beginning was all we were ever going to see, and even that became rather hollow.

I wonder if a different coach might have been able to bring out more personality and flair? Team Annie strikes me as so coddling and protective of their skaters that I wonder if they slot them into a box too much, and aren't open to fresh ideas?

vCash
    Annie didn't seem to push them (their elements rarely changed, they stuck to one approach musically). Unfortunate.

In the early days, Jessica sparkled. It would be wonderful if she could get that energy and zest back.

vCash
    I hate to dump all over Dube, but I'll add a "me too" about the lack of energy and passion in her skating. She has nice lines and positions, but that's all. The Phillip Glass music probably doesn't help in this particular program, but even where she has skated to dynamic music (Requiem For a Dream, that Galicia Flamenco SP from a few years ago, even Carmen), she's very flat. I agree with Jenny, it's especially sad considering the potential she showed at first.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Dube had a world medal with her former partner before either Trankov or Volosozhar did, and even though she sounds like as big a head case as Trankov was before being coached by Moser and Morosov
    I think the world medal was more luck for standing up better in that particular time frame than other top couples (other top couples who soundly kicked D/D's butts pretty much from that time on), and 95% of the time it was Mukhortova, not Trankov, who was the "head case" in competitions....
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

Crazy Russian Tundra
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    I think the world medal was more luck for standing up better in that particular time frame than other top couples (other top couples who soundly kicked D/D's butts pretty much from that time on), and 95% of the time it was Mukhortova, not Trankov, who was the "head case" in competitions....
    Yeah, definitely Maria was. I wonder how I missed this.

vCash
    The Liberty site has posted detailed protocol from the events. It's interesting to compare the breakdown in scores for each of the three teams (though I do hope video of C/S's skate will turn up sooner or later).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FarFarAway View Post
    I wasn't saying at all that D/W are the next V/T. I was just pointing out that people were early on calling the best new team we've seen since S/S a disappointment when they weren't looking like world beaters after 2 months of being paired.

While Dube has a world medal (and no I don't think she's as good as Tatiana) Wolfe isn't any where near as experienced a partner as Trankov is. So to expect them to be super wonderful right away is a bit ridiculous too. In someways they should have more time together to wait and see.

I'm just saying pairings shouldnt' be written off right away. It takes time.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast