Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Arrow Great routines of the past you'd like to see today's skaters doing

Here's another summer-fun trash-can topic. I was watching some of my old tapes/DVDs from the 1980s 'Landover' World Pros competitions this past weekend. The 1985 edition included two superb 'classics' from Robin Cousins: 'Horizon' (tech program) and the tap-dancing carefree 'Satan Takes a Holiday' (artistic). As I watched Robin I thought "Gee, I'd love to see Evan Lysacek skating to 'Satan Takes a Holiday' someday!" Both Olympic champs have similar tall, long body types.

Just as ballet dancers reprise famous dances...why can't great figure skaters occasionally try to perform some of the wonderful routines of the past? So here's my question: Which great routine(s) of the past would you like to see performed by a current eligible (or recently-retired) skater and who would that skater be?

Mine:

Robin Cousins' 'Satan Takes a Holiday' perfomed by Evan Lysacek...or a perky female version of the same choreography by Alena Leonova!

Scott Hamilton's "Walk this Way" performed by Keegan Messing (yeah, I see a lot of Scott in Keegan)

Gordeeva/Grinkov's 1988 classical LP (Mendelssohn Italian Symphony) performed by Sui/Han
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 07-12-2011 at 03:04 PM.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    LOL
    I want great routines of the past to be skated by the same skater, but today !
    For example, I'd love to watch John Curry performing live his Don Quixote LP !
    Or G&G's Reverie. Grishuk&Platov 1997 FD...and so on !

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I could see Nagasu doing Michelle's DoD SP.

vCash
    I'd settle for the great performances of the past, from the video archives!

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    I could see Nagasu doing Michelle's DoD SP.
    Mirai is nowhere close to being mature enough to handle that elegant program IMO based on what we've seen from her to this point.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Cousins' Horizon and Satan Takes a Holiday are my favourite men's pro skates ever. What a master.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Mirai is nowhere close to being mature enough to handle that elegant program IMO based on what we've seen from her to this point.
    No, she isn't, but I think it would be fun to watch her try.

It's not like I said Lyra, which probably only Janet Lynn or Laurance Owen could have pulled off.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 07-13-2011 at 04:58 AM.

Happily succumbing to the FSU productivity virus.
    vCash
    Canadian content edition:

Virtue & Moir doing Bourne & Kraatz's first version of Christopher Dean's Heart Attack from the 1998-1999 season.

I also want to see Patrick Chan or Jeffrey Buttle perform Kurt's Antares.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    ^^This

vCash
    volosozhar and trankov (sp) skating to M&D's liebestraum, or G&G's vocalise

i think mirai is ready for 'kissing you', if not DoD. i'm probably the only who considers it a masterpiece, though.

i want to see not just mirai but everybody skating to MK's rachmaninov program. that program is great enough that it should be like balachine's midsummer night's dream or macmillan's romeo and juliet--every ballet company (skater) should put on their own production of it

and all the men should skate kurt's casablanca. we've seen ross miner's attempt to rewrite the gospel--now let ross and all the other guys go back to the one 'true' version

vCash
    Mao--Michelle's East of Eden (short program--I don't think she could pull off the World Pro version)

Yu Na--Michelle's Lamente D'Ariane

Mirai-Sasha's Dark Eyes or Malaguena
    Last edited by giselle23; 07-14-2011 at 01:18 AM.

vCash
    I don't want anyone skating to recycled routines. I want to see the old skaters who made them masterpieces skating to them, and the new skaters skating to new but different masterpieces.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I don't want anyone skating to recycled routines. I want to see the old skaters who made them masterpieces skating to them, and the new skaters skating to new but different masterpieces.
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    This!

I wouldn't mind seeing someone else try "Revolutions" (Kulik's Olympic SP), just because the music is so unusual, but I'd rather see him do it again! (And the scary part is, he could probably just about complete it at the same technical level!) I fear, however, that I'm the only one who really loved Revolutions...

Adam Rippon has already done this - by attempting to recreate Alexander Abt's Rachimanoff LP from 2002. Sasha did it better, sorry2say.

Title-less
    vCash
    I'd like to see today's pairs skating doing pre-COP routines -- which were much more in unison!

vCash
    i absolutely respect that every skater has different talents and there is no program equally suitable to all skaters. in the ideal world it would be great if everybody created their own signature pieces. and every skater skated their signature piece perfectly at least once.

but in the not so ideal world great music cut + great choreography coincide rarely, IMHO, and i like the idea of a signature piece for a company that the new and ever changing crew of skaters can go back to--like a warhorse, except this war horse comes with its own patented musical cut and choreography maybe the next generation of toller cranstons will require that everyone wanting to join the toller tour (hypothetical name) audition using one of 'signature' pieces, wearing the designated costumes

vCash
    Got a couple more:

Kanako Murakami skating Dorothy Hamill's "Do the Bear-cat"

Johnny Weir skating Dorothy Hamill's "Take Back the Mink"

vCash
    Just one mo':

Ryan Bradley skating to xxxxxxx (fill-in any Classic Candeloro routine, e.g., "Rocky")

vCash
    I'd love to see any current pair try to emulate G&G's unison and gorgeous lines - pick any of their mature programs and reproduce it.

My point clearly is that it couldn't be done - no one has that training or control any more. But I'd love to see some pair try it and learn from it.

vCash
    Willowway, you are correct. The same philosophy could be applied to any of today's eligible single skaters who opt to skate any Scott Hamilton or Kurt Browning routines with the fast-changing footwork down a straight line. The reason why I mentioned Keegan Messing as my 'hope' for trying a Scott routine is because his footwork shows so many of Scott's traits. Keegan is a rarity...but I'm hardly saying that Keegan is anywhere close to Scott's perfection at this time. Keegan has the potential & the natural on-ice personality when he is 'on.'

vCash
    I fear, however, that I'm the only one who really loved Revolutions...
    Not at all. Kulik's Krew is full of folks who loved it and love it still. It was a marvelous SP for the 6.0 system and done flawlessly in Nagano. The choice music (so interesting) was Ilia's father's notion. Good input Dad!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast