Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash

LA/SoCal folks - what are you going to do this weekend with the 405 closed?

One thing I don't miss about Los Angeles and Southern California is the traffic - hopeless at worst, stressful at best, and possibly manageable if you have a driving companion with you who can 1) enable access to freeway carpool lanes and 2) make use of a GPS or iPhone and figure out alternate routes on the fly, should your preferred route be congested.

But it was still a surprise for me, 300 miles away here in the Bay Area, to see traffic alert signs warning of massive delays this coming weekend because the 405 in Los Angeles will be closed at its most critical section, where it links the San Fernando Valley to the rest of LA and Southern California.

Already, businesses are being creative and JetBlue is offering discounts and special flights between Burbank and Long Beach.

For those of you who live in the Westside or in the San Fernando Valley, how are you going to cope with the road closure? Lounge at the beach? Watch skating vids/Youtubes at home? Have some quality time with your other?

Or - horrors! - take public transit?

ETA: here's an LA official's list of ways to cope.
    Last edited by UMBS Go Blue; 07-14-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Clueless American
    vCash
    Well, I'll probably do what I do most weekends and that's stay home. LOL.

I'm so sick of hearing about "Carmageddon" on the news - like it's the apocalypse or something! I think we'll live.

vCash
    How did LA manage the aftermath of the 94 Northridge quake when some of the freeways collapsed?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
    How did LA manage the aftermath of the 94 Northridge quake when some of the freeways collapsed?
    The two major collapses were on I-5/Rte 14 on the border of the San Fernando and Santa Clarita Valleys and on I-10 in West L.A. The I-10 collapse resulted in heavy traffic on surface streets for about 3 months after the quake, but there were a lot of ways to circumvent that stretch of freeway.

The other collapse was a huge traffic headache, because there really was only one major alternate route to I-5. A significatn people telecommuted. Others became reliant on trains if they worked downtown.

As for me this weekend, I'm just going to stay in the San Fernando Valley. I have work to do, but most of it can be done via my home computer.

vCash
    I saw a couple on tv who are getting married this weekend, and the closure means that their guests' commutes have gone from a few minutes to a few hours to get there.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    I saw a couple on tv who are getting married this weekend, and the closure means that their guests' commutes have gone from a few minutes to a few hours to get there.
    That sucks!

I'm totally gonna stay home. This is when I show off the fact I live in a walkable neighborhood.

One of my former SoCal friends (now in Kansas City) says she's gonna watch the carnage unfold this weekend on SigAlert.

vCash
    Google Maps show EVERYTHING in green right now. Carmaggedon, thou hast disappointed me!

But officials warn not to get complacent. Bf wants to go get breakfast and a haircut in Eagle Rock anyway.

vCash
    I lived in LA in the 80s for over 8 years and everyone predicted the worst for the 84 Olympics. The time during the Olys was the least amount of traffic I ever experienced out there.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Google Maps show EVERYTHING in green right now. Carmaggedon, thou hast disappointed me!
    Sounds like a good night to drive out to Santa Monica, Manhattan/Hermosa, or Hollywood and - surprise! - find free street parking?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    I lived in LA in the 80s for over 8 years and everyone predicted the worst for the 84 Olympics. The time during the Olys was the least amount of traffic I ever experienced out there.
    Oh, so THAT'S what one of my Facebook friends was talking about. He wrote that he predicted smooth sailing for the weekend with the hashtag "84 Olympics." The only guy who didn't expect carnage.

My friend who was gonna watch the carnage on SigAlert is my age and we were barely alive (and not even near LA at that) for the 84 Olympics.

This is fun though: Race between Jetblue $4 Burbank-to-Long-Beach flight and a bunch of cyclists. Cyclists won. Though to be fair, the race began when the guys flying still had to get to the airport an hour earlier than their flight.

vCash
    I think we should all go somewhere cool in DTLA with the lack of traffic.

vCash
    The worst thing so far about Carmageddon has been the news helicopters. I live just a couple of blocks from the 405/101 interchange and the damn helicopters circled over my house all last night and this morning so they could get shots of empty freeway.

Clueless American
    vCash
    It's definitely like the Olympics - all the doom and gloom and then easy traffic. The newsfolks are so disappointed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love skating View Post
    It's definitely like the Olympics - all the doom and gloom and then easy traffic. The newsfolks are so disappointed.
    It will be interesting to see what happens when we do this again next summer as they can tear down the other half of the bridge. I wonder if a lot of people will assume that, because the nightmares did not materialize this year, they can assume the same thing will happen next time.

vCash
    I have friends who are coming up from Orange County and the 5 is still nice and clear according to SigAlert! I kind of want to take a drive on the empty freeway just to do so. Haha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I have friends who are coming up from Orange County and the 5 is still nice and clear according to SigAlert! I kind of want to take a drive on the empty freeway just to do so. Haha.
    SigAlert is showing the 405 not moving, but the 405 reopened a few hours ago and by all accounts is moving freely. So I wonder how accurate it's data is.

And 15 minutes after I posted, they updated SigAlert and the 405 is smooth sailing.
    Last edited by reckless; 07-18-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Clueless American
    vCash
    Can't believe they reopened so much earlier than scheduled! Kudos to the workers on the project!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love skating View Post
    Can't believe they reopened so much earlier than scheduled! Kudos to the workers on the project!
    It's similar to what happened in 1994 with the I-10. The company doing the work was offered major financial incentives to get the freeway open earlier than scheduled. It reopened after three months, when about five months was the estimate. The contractor got about a $15 million bonus.

vCash
    They scared everyone into thinking the roads would be chaotic, and I've had an easier time getting around this weekend than most weekends!!

O-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast