vCash

Thumbs up Alphas (TV Series)

Is anybody watching this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1183865/

I just watched the pilot and I am intrigued. A new version of Heroes. (Well, sort of).

And does anybody think that actor Warren Christie looks like a younger version of Christian Bale?

ETA: Especially with David Strathairn in it.

vCash
    Too late for me, but I did DVR it. Will watch this weekend!

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash
    I watched and enjoyed it. Not as campy as HEROES because of the procedural feel to it. Which is OK by me. They've set up the roque alpha team plot to arc over the whole season while likely doing a "case of the week" plot. The only issue I had with it is that it lacks a bit of humor which will hopefully develop in future episodes. It's not a new concept, but I was entertained.

And I love seeing David Strathairn on my screen!

vCash
    It reminds me more of The 4400 - people with special powers using them in everyday life. The crime team handles out-of-control situations.
    The Red Whatever sounds ominous ... very much like The 4400's last season or two. Ditto for Heroes.

Heroes was a little cartoonish, but also provided a lot of "YES!" moments when you rooted for the good guys to subdue the evil doers. Alphas doesn't have many of those moments, although I did like the strong man's solution to someone blocking him in, lol.

ITA - they could use a little more humor in the series. I loved the interaction between Gary and Bill. "I changed my name to Gary, so now I can eat your sandwich." LOL If he wasn't such a bully, that would have been funnier. I can't wait for the romances to develop. NOT! That's usually what kills Syfy shows - the seasons are too short, so romances come and go in a heartbeat.

So, was it good that the technogeek couldn't "see" Nokia's streams? I guess that was a vote of confidence for the security of their wireless calling network.
    Love product placement - these shows will be so dated 10 years from now.

The website is cute: http://www.syfy.com/alphas/
    Interesting: the guy who plays Gary has a Liverpool-ish accent in real life!
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 07-13-2011 at 02:41 PM.

vCash
    Well, I don't like to talk about series I haven't watched but it seems to me that the level of eye candy was dropped considerably if we compare this to Heroes, that show was packed! Hopefully they won't drop the script quality as well...

Alissa Fan Forever
    vCash
    I enjoyed it. It's like Heroes meets CSI. But I basically like all sci-fi shows and give them all a chance. So far so good for me.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I actually thought it was more like a series version of X-Men than anything else -- particularly the David Strathairn character. (And yay to see David Strathairn!) I think I read that one of the X-Men movie writers was involved in this.

Anyway, I liked it. Of course I had zero expectations, so that helps.

I wonder how long until we see Gary driving.

And it's always great to see Callum Keith Rennie -- he's only listed for 2 episodes at imdb right now, I hope that doesn't mean we won't see more of him.

They also don't have any filming locations listed yet, but I could have sworn I recognized some Toronto.

vCash
    I never watched X-Men, so you'd be a better judge of that connection.

vCash
    I wanted to watch this but didn't get to.I will definitely watch it next time.

Alissa Fan Forever
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrushka View Post
    I wanted to watch this but didn't get to.I will definitely watch it next time.
    The premiere episode is on SYFY again tonight at 1:00am-2:30am est. SYFY will probably play it a few times late at night this week since they usually repeat premieres a lot. Check on the weekends also.

vCash
    I honestly can't decide if I liked it or not. Just sorta so so to me.
    But I do love David. I will watch it again to see if I want to continue with it, give it a second chance.

vCash
    Well I enjoyed the second episode.