Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    Not at all. Kulik's Krew is full of folks who loved it and love it still. It was a marvelous SP for the 6.0 system and done flawlessly in Nagano. The choice music (so interesting) was Ilia's father's notion. Good input Dad!
    Oh, excellent! It just seems sometimes like whenever people talk about Nagano they only mention RiB!

Ilia's Dad made an AWESOME suggestion. I love it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Here's another summer-fun trash-can topic. I was watching some of my old tapes/DVDs from the 1980s 'Landover' World Pros competitions this past weekend. The 1985 edition included two superb 'classics' from Robin Cousins: 'Horizon' (tech program) and the tap-dancing carefree 'Satan Takes a Holiday' (artistic). As I watched Robin I thought "Gee, I'd love to see Evan Lysacek skating to 'Satan Takes a Holiday' someday!" Both Olympic champs have similar tall, long body types.

Just as ballet dancers reprise famous dances...why can't great figure skaters occasionally try to perform some of the wonderful routines of the past? So here's my question: Which great routine(s) of the past would you like to see performed by a current eligible (or recently-retired) skater and who would that skater be?
    I've always liked the idea of "repertory skating". Even if it wasn't performed publicly, I think most skaters would benefit from learning classic, groundbreaking programs. If nothing else, learning the performing aspects of those programs would help young skaters learn to project to the audience and portray emotion on ice.

For example - Dance teams learning some of Torvill and Dean's OSP's and even Bolero would be a great learning experience.

I also agree with you about ballet. I love watching great ballets - Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake etc. The analogy could be made that great skating programs could be interpreted over and over again and enjoyed every time.

vCash
    This is a great idea for a tribute show, to have skaters recreate iconic programs that their mentors skated. Sure, it kind of seems like sacrilege, but it’s also a beautiful way of connecting the past and present. It happens all the time in ballet that a piece is created for one dancer, and it lives on in repertory. The original dancer isn’t forgotten; if anything it helps the dancer’s legacy live on.

Here are my picks:

Janet Lynn’s ‘Afternoon of a Faun’ performed by Michelle Kwan
    John Curry’s 1976 long program performed by Daisuke Takahashi
    Ekaterina Gordeeva’s ‘Fragile’ show program in 1999 performed by Alissa Czisny
    Dorothy Hamill’s 1976 LP performed by Rachael Flatt
    Brian Boitano 1988 LP performed by Evan Lysacek
    Katarina Witt's Carmen 1988 LP performed by Carolina Kostner
    Kurt Browning 1994 Casablanca LP performed by Jeremy Abbott
    Michelle Kwan’s 1998 Rachmaninoff SP performed by Mao Asada
    Sasha Cohen’s 2006 SP performed by Mirai Nagasu

If nothing else, trying out another skater’s style would be an amazing learning experience for these skaters. Sasha Cohen’s sass fits Mirai, Michelle’s lyrical style and connection to the audience would be great for Mao, and Ekaterina Gordeeva’s show program ‘Fragile’ has a sense of inner and growing strength that’s just right for where Alissa is right now.

vCash
    Patrick Chan dong Ulrich Salchow
    Ryan Bradley doing Gillis Grafström
    Maxim Trankov and Tatiana Volosozhar doing Maribel Owen and Dudley Richards
    Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy doing Maxie Herber and Ernst Baier
    Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir doing Diane Towler and Bernard Ford
    Mao Asada doing Beatrix Schuba
    Yuna Kim doing Cecilia Colledge

vCash
    I like the idea of a tribute show with the full blessing of the original performer / choreographer ... but generally I prefer nothing great ever get the 'remake' treatment.

I just don't see how it can end well generally, without a bit disparaging to either parties at the end of the day. The good taste line is so fine, it would take an amazing artist to realize it.

vCash
    I would love to see Mao doing a rendition of Lu Chen's "Spring Breeze" SP. The quiet and lyrical quality of that program fits her well.

vCash
    I agree that it would be tough to actually do this in the context of a show or competition...but I'd pay A MINT to see Alena Leonova tackle 'Satan Takes a Holiday'...can't you just PICTURE it? Even more so than my original thought about Evan trying it.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    This!

I wouldn't mind seeing someone else try "Revolutions" (Kulik's Olympic SP), just because the music is so unusual, but I'd rather see him do it again! (And the scary part is, he could probably just about complete it at the same technical level!) I fear, however, that I'm the only one who really loved Revolutions...
    i loved it.

vCash
    I don't think I'd like to see today's skaters imitating skaters of the past, but it would be interesting to see some of them work together. For example, I wonder what kind of choreography Stephane Lambiel and Robin Cousins would come up with if they put their heads together.

vCash
    I don't see this as "skaters imitating skaters of the past" at all. Pavlova's "The Swan" and Nijinsky's "Spectre de la Rose" have been danced by countless interpreters since the originators. Truly first-class skating numbers, like ballets, can become great numbers via different interpretations by subsequent performers.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I'd love to see someone do Sonja Hennie's life story in a movie, including reenacting her most famous numbers. I don't think any of our skaters have the acting talent. Can you imagine Rachael Flatt portraying Sonja?

Ok, seriously, I would love to see some skater, any skater, attempt to do Katarina Witt's showgirl number from Calgary 1988 complete with the high cut g-string. The sport has gone in a serious direction thanks to the influence of heavy Russian choreographers, and perhaps it's time for some lighter fare with sex appeal.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by edonice View Post
    This is a great idea for a tribute show, to have skaters recreate iconic programs that their mentors skated. Sure, it kind of seems like sacrilege, but it’s also a beautiful way of connecting the past and present. It happens all the time in ballet that a piece is created for one dancer, and it lives on in repertory. The original dancer isn’t forgotten; if anything it helps the dancer’s legacy live on.

Here are my picks:

Katarina Witt's Carmen 1988 LP performed by Carolina Kostner
    The irony of having Kostner skate to Witt's free, is that Katarina has more technical merit in that performance than Caroline did this year at Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    The irony of having Kostner skate to Witt's free, is that Katarina has more technical merit in that performance than Caroline did this year at Worlds.
    Caroline Zhang maybe. Carolina had a 3F, so I cannot take your statement seriously.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Caroline Zhang maybe. Carolina had a 3F, so I cannot take your statement seriously.
    I can't take Kostner's podium result at Worlds seriously.

Sad to think this is a skater who used to have a 3lutz/3toe and a 3flip/3toe.

Her landings were all over the place in Moscow.

Witt's jumps were rock solid.

vCash
    I think a huge part of what makes those great routines of the past so special is that the skaters performing them added their own styles and personalities to them. Making them skated by someone else would destroy them. I think 90% of what was so amazing about those programs was the given skaters' unique skating styles, on-ice charm, emotional engagement.

For example, let's take Yu-na and Michelle Kwan. Both amazing, graceful skaters with lots of charm and yet I cannot imagine Yu-Na pulling off any of Michelle's greatest routines, simple because those were her routines and a huge part of their greatness was her interpretation and style.

I mean, many people don't even like the skaters of today using music of the masterpieces of the past, let alone the entire programs!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    For example, let's take Yu-na and Michelle Kwan. Both amazing, graceful skaters with lots of charm and yet I cannot imagine Yu-Na pulling off any of Michelle's greatest routines, simple because those were her routines and a huge part of their greatness was her interpretation and style.

I mean, many people don't even like the skaters of today using music of the masterpieces of the past, let alone the entire programs!
    Interesting. Maybe that's the reason why I couldn't warm up to Yuna's Scheherazade program, which was a clear tribute to Kwan's (the red costume, ending pose).

vCash
    Just as ballet dancers reprise famous dances...why can't great figure skaters occasionally try to perform some of the wonderful routines of the past?
    I have long thought it sad that skating choreography is not valued enough to preserve and recreate. I thought this would have made a good premise for one of SOI's anniversary shows - a new cast recreating classic numbers from the past (well, new except Kurt, who could still skate his same parts).

Obviously, they would not really work as competitive programs today, but they could still be exhibitions done as tributes the the original choreographers. I have often thought it would make a great TV special to have more recent skaters recreate great programs of the past, perhaps even work with the original choreographers/skaters if possible.

Matching skaters to programs would be tricky. I honestly do not think any of today's pairs could do justice to any G/G or Mish/Dm choreo. Beresnaya/Sikharulidze were the last pair to get close to the G/G standard of pair-ness/elegance and Artur remains totally unique. Sui/Han ??? Volosozhar and Trankov ??? Not remotely credible, IMO.

I was also trying to think who could handle Chris Dean's paso doble OSP and drew a blank. Gwendal P was the only guy I could even begin to see carrying it off. (Yes, I know there's a girl involved, but this dance is all about the man.

I have long thought Weir could to justice to John Curry's Don Quixote free skate.

As I watched Robin I thought "Gee, I'd love to see Evan Lysacek skating to 'Satan Takes a Holiday' someday!"
    I think Kulik would be an even better candidate for this program. I'm not sure Evan can move as loosely and lightly as this number requires.
    Last edited by Susan M; 07-20-2011 at 02:02 AM.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    I'd like to see Alissa Czisny skate to Katarina Witt's "Robin Hood" SP. Tights and all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y94l4FauvHc
    Last edited by AliasJohnDoe; 07-20-2011 at 08:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    I'd like to see Alissa Czisny skate to Katarina Witt's "Robin Hood" SP. Tights and all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y94l4FauvHc
    Me too! It would be wonderful and give Alissa something unexpected to do.

vCash
    Here's an example of why this idea rarely works:

John Curry - Tilt-A-Whirl with Peggy Fleming
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qRyOzq_ofQ

Tilt-A-Whirl - Ice Theatre of New York
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJoj03W-iPw

There's no comparison.
    I say that, aware that John Curry believed in "Repertory", and a Company of Skating.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast