Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Comansnala?
    vCash
    Extremely gifted by the judges:
    Lysacek, Chan. And Plushenko.

vCash
    Gifted : Kavaguti & Smirnov, in the Olympic season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Gifted : Kavaguti & Smirnov, in the Olympic season.
    agreed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    At least Plushy looked like he was having fun with the hip rolls. He was fun to watch. Lysacek looked like he was taking the self-touching extremely seriously. It was creepy.

Your definition of fun to watch, and mine are light years away from each other.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    I think, over the span of his career, that Johnny Weir was both PCS gifted and ungifted. In the early years of the system, Weir was about the only guy getting PCS marks close to Plushenko, then after about 06 or 07, he seemed to lose a point or two across the board.

I know they periodically rewrite the guidance for marking PCS, so that may have accounted for some of that, but it just always struck me as kind of odd the way the judges turned on him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Gifted: Bradley (at US Nats)
    you're just jealous

But in all seriousness...

I think Yu Na is always gifted. I heard she got Level 4s for her spiral once, I can't remember what competition. But when I heard that I was ?!. I know it's not a Sasha spiral and not all spirals have to be, but the position she hits to me looks awkward.

Personally, that's just me. I never got the Yu Na hype and I probably never will.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    you're just jealous

I think Yu Na is always gifted. I heard she got Level 4s for her spiral once, I can't remember what competition. But when I heard that I was ?!. I know it's not a Sasha spiral and not all spirals have to be, but the position she hits to me looks awkward.

Personally, that's just me. I never got the Yu Na hype and I probably never will.
    I'm gonna ignore the Bradley part because it's obvious from your name you like him so therefore would support him.

However your comments about YuNa confuse me. For the spiral, gaining levels has nothing to do with how pretty it looks. "I heard she got level 4s for her spiral once", almost EVERY top skater gets level 4s for their spirals (when that was the rule). Gaining levels for spirals involved how long they held the position and the positions they were in. Since you think her position is awkward compared to Sasha (which is legitimate, I suppose, her foot isn't too good) I wonder if you are ever ?! about Ryan's slow spins.. You never got the Yu Na hype? Well, considering that she never has been off the podium in any competition and won Olympic gold..I'd say the hype is pretty deserved..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    I'm gonna ignore the Bradley part because it's obvious from your name you like him so therefore would support him.

However your comments about YuNa confuse me. For the spiral, gaining levels has nothing to do with how pretty it looks. "I heard she got level 4s for her spiral once", almost EVERY top skater gets level 4s for their spirals (when that was the rule). Gaining levels for spirals involved how long they held the position and the positions they were in. You never got the Yu Na hype? Well, considering that she never has been off the podium in any competition and won Olympic gold..I'd say the hype is pretty deserved..
    The Bradley part was a joke.

And no, I'd say most of her medals were undeserved. I never got the appeal of her skating. It has nothing to do with medals. Bradley has like 5 medals to his name and I still love him. For me skating has nothing to do with the titles or the medals, it has everything to do with the skating.

vCash
    you're just jealous

I'm not jealous, and I'm not the one who should be. Richard Dornbush and Jeremy Abbott should be the jealous ones.

But anyway, yes, he was pretty gifted. I was really rooting for him, I wanted him to win, but as he kept skating (can you even call it that?) in his FS, I just kept thinking to myself, "this program is soo empty." He skated very slowly, with shallow edges, and with knees that were never bent, the transitions were close to nonexistent, and when they were, they were simple, and the choreography was bland and generic - never consisting of much more than a few flicks of the wrist and a flashy smile. The only component I can agree with going above a 7.00 on is performance/execution.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I'm not jealous, and I'm not the one who should be. Richard Dornbush and Jeremy Abbott should be the jealous ones.

But anyway, yes, he was pretty gifted. I was really rooting for him, I wanted him to win, but as he kept skating (can you even call it that?) in his FS, I just kept thinking to myself, "this program is soo empty." He skated very slowly, with shallow edges, and with knees that were never bent, the transitions were close to nonexistent, and when they were, they were simple, and the choreography was bland and generic - never consisting of much more than a few flicks of the wrist and a flashy smile. The only component I can agree with going above a 7.00 on is performance/execution.
    His Nats FS to me, was what he said later, basically just skating for the hell of it since he thought he lost the title. I didn't like it either. I felt the Spokane FS kicked it in the ass. Oh well. He has his title, and I can die happy now.

vCash
    I think Yu Na is always gifted. I heard she got Level 4s for her spiral once,

You do realize that this is a thread about Program Component Scores, don't you? You do understand the difference between Total Element Scores and Program Component Scores, don't you? You do realize that the level assigned to a spiral sequence goes into the Total Element Score and has nothing at all to do with the Program Component Score, right?

vCash
    you're just jealous

ITA
    Yuna is a great skater maybe one of the bests but I think that sometimes she's been gifted by judges both in the technical mark and the components score (World 2010 and 2011 come to my mind) and she deserved almost all her medals but not all of them IMO...I'm probably the black sheep here but that's what I think...

vCash
    but I think that sometimes she's been gifted by judges both in the technical mark and the components score
    The technical mark can involve gifting by judges (GOE) and/or by the callers (levels, edges, UR). I would agree that judges sometimes abuse the GOE marks as badly or even worse than the PCS to gift their preferred skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanja90 View Post
    ITA
    Yuna is a great skater maybe one of the bests but I think that sometimes she's been gifted by judges both in the technical mark and the components score (World 2010 and 2011 come to my mind) and she deserved almost all her medals but not all of them IMO...I'm probably the black sheep here but that's what I think...
    I'm the black sheep too, it's fine.

vCash
    ITA
    if we're thinking of someone gifted in the "technical mark", Miki of 2010-11 season should be on the list.
    Before Japanese nationals, her technical marks (GoEs) were given pretty much as last season's, and after her win the national title-which was over 200 points (I know it's national blah blah)- starting at 4cc, her goe marks went up insanely just as much as her points were at japanese nationals.

I admit Miki's been consistent and rock-solid on her jumps and all, but I'd never think of her better jumper than yuna is or better spinner than alissa is or someone with better skating skills than carolina is, and in worlds 2011 Miki's goe on each jump, spin, step sequence element was one of the highest marks received in the ladies event.

and just so you know, all this is about element marks, not component marks.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    ITA
    2011 Worlds was the worst display of favoritism towards Yu-Na for me. Generally, I am a fan of Yu-Na's skating, but she really did not deliver at this competition to warrant a silver medal, or any medal at all, IMO. If I had been on that judging panel, she would have finished off the podium on my scorecard. That she won the SP with the flawed performance she delivered is an unbelievable joke to me. My final podium would have been: 1.) Ando, 2.) Kostner, and 3.) Czisny. I would have had Kim in 4th.

vCash
    Last edited by Lookingood; 07-19-2011 at 01:14 AM. Reason: back to lurker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    if we're thinking of someone gifted in the "technical mark", Miki of 2010-11 season should be on the list.
    Before Japanese nationals, her technical marks (GoEs) were given pretty much as last season's, and after her win the national title-which was over 200 points (I know it's national blah blah)- starting at 4cc, her goe marks went up insanely just as much as her points were at japanese nationals.

I admit Miki's been consistent and rock-solid on her jumps and all, but I'd never think of her better jumper than yuna is or better spinner than alissa is or someone with better skating skills than carolina is, and in worlds 2011 Miki's goe on each jump, spin, step sequence element was one of the highest marks received in the ladies event.

and just so you know, all this is about element marks, not component marks.
    Well...if I'm not wrong Miki received high marks in each element you mention but not the highest...but I find completely wrong that yuna's spins were marked higher than alissa! expecially the layback...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123