Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Click me with your mouse
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acraven View Post
    ETA: Traffic between DC and Fredericksburg VA can be truly dreadful. Heading south in the morning, you're at least going against the flow of traffic on workdays. I'd try for Monday-Friday for this trip (Monday-Thursday if you think you might get a late start). Lots of people tend to head south on I-95 on Saturdays and traffic can be very bad. I'd also be worried about traffic conditions driving back late on Sunday, though I don't think I've ever done that.
    Definitely echo the sentiment - I was driving south last Friday afternoon and it took me 2 hours to get from Fairfax to Fredericksburg. On the other hand, I drove back north on Sunday and it was absolutely fine - but I would imagine that later in the afternoon it was probably worse. Unfortunately, the traffic in this area is an absolute nightmare, but good luck planning your travel around rush hour.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Also, the thing about driving the Beltway is it's confusing as all get out if you aren't familiar with the area. And drivers are NOT forgiving of your errors.

vCash
    Okay then. We're definitely going to do a driving tour and not stay based at National Harbor. We fly into Reagan National at 1230pm or so, so I think we'll get our rental and high-tail it out of the city before the traffic hits.

Thanks again for all the help and advice!

vCash
    Just wanted to add that WTOP is invaluable. It is a radio station on 103.5 FM. They do traffic and weather on the eights : 1208, 1218, etc. If there is major badness on the road, they will warn you about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12