Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Beach Bum
    vCash
    I am not a farmhouse kitchen person, but I liked that kitchen the best. It was inviting. I agreed the backsplash should be the same, but I really liked the wood backsplash that Mark did better than the tile. I love those circle tiles, and it was a nice contemporary accent in a farmhouse room, but I thought the wood looked great. I really liked the table with the bench/chairs.

I cannot believe Cathy thought that was good styling. Nearly every surface cluttered and eggs on the counter? She is not getting the likeable edit.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Cathy, Carl and Uncle Fester can go home anytime. I wouldn't watch any of their shows. I like Mark and Kelly the best and would watch either of them. And Cathy goes. Good call.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    No more Cathy I'm sorry, but if she is so fabulous and has been in so many magazines, she wouldn't need to be competing for a spot on HGTV.

Mark is my favorite by far right now.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    No more Cathy I'm sorry, but if she is so fabulous and has been in so many magazines, she wouldn't need to be competing for a spot on HGTV.

Mark is my favorite by far right now.
    I so agree. Cathy...What an arrogant person, and not a team player.
    Mark and kellie continue to impress and seem like team players.
    Meg is a bit annoying, but the judges like her.
    Karl has great ideas, but seems crazy and hard to work with.

vCash
    According to the preview for next week, there is going to be a "shocking elimination." I just hope it isn't Mark or Kellie.

vCash
    Kathy's gone. About time, especially since she set herself up to be closely scrutinized.

I liked Karl but he's letting himself get way too stressed out. I hope he can relax (especially on camera) and rebound next week.

I don't think Kevin is consistent enough designwise to make it several more tasks without a major misstep, but we'll see.

I agree Mark and Kellie seem shoe-ins for the finals at this point.

vCash
    I'm so happy Cathy got the boot! I didn't think it would happen for a few more weeks, and thought that Karl would be the one going home this week.

Overall though, I can't say I really liked much of anything they did for that reception. The bar area was best, IMO. But to me, the reception didn't really have as much of a Victorian theme as I would expect. They needed more flowers and linens for it to work better. But as long as the bride and groom were happy, that's all that matters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post

Overall though, I can't say I really liked much of anything they did for that reception. The bar area was best, IMO. But to me, the reception didn't really have as much of a Victorian theme as I would expect. They needed more flowers and linens for it to work better. But as long as the bride and groom were happy, that's all that matters.
    I didn't think the reception was Victorian at all. Maybe Victorian if the Victorian Era took place in Miami. Cathy's linen choice was dreadful. I wanted her to go home last week when she put 4000 accessories in that kitchen.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I wanted her to go home last week when she put 4000 accessories in that kitchen.
    Exactly, the kitchen island she styled looked like mine before I clean it up when guests are coming.

vCash
    Oh the kitchen accessories...

There was waaay too much going on, but the part that had me cringing the most, was the eggs in a vase/urn/whatever. Who does that? If I went over to her house for dinner and saw eggs just sitting out like that, I would be hoping that nothing she served used non-refrigerated eggs.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post
    Oh the kitchen accessories...

There was waaay too much going on, but the part that had me cringing the most, was the eggs in a vase/urn/whatever. Who does that? If I went over to her house for dinner and saw eggs just sitting out like that, I would be hoping that nothing she served used non-refrigerated eggs.
    Same here. We were watching with a doctor friend and he said "um, salmonella anyone?"

The table linens looked so cheap. Victorian -- isn't that rich patterned silks or crepes with some lace going on somewhere? And some table/chair bustles might have worked. Not sure Victorian screams orange and yellow so I am not sure the client knew what she was asking for, but still.....

vCash
    Cathy can design kitchens for NFNS's Penny. A match made in heaven.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The table linens looked so cheap. Victorian -- isn't that rich patterned silks or crepes with some lace going on somewhere? And some table/chair bustles might have worked. Not sure Victorian screams orange and yellow so I am not sure the client knew what she was asking for, but still.....
    I realize the client probably didn't want a faithful recreation of a Victorian reception, but there wasn't much about it that ended up Victorian.

To me, the only thing that was Victorian-esque was the color purple that they chose for the linens and flowers. Otherwise, the pinks, oranges & yellows they chose were too bright. As for the fabrics, yes, lots layers of richly patterned damasks, maybe edged in fringe, tassels or topped with lace. The flowers were right, but they needed a lot more to do it justice, but I suspect they didn't have more because of the budget. And using candelabras with taper candles on the guest tables would have made a world of difference.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Mark is my pick to win this season. He better not be the *shocking* elimination. However, I think he's taking a big risk for that living/dining room. If he nails those vintage records to the wall, I'm betting he totally pisses the homeowner off.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Mark and Carl nailed their rooms. Either of the other 4 can go. Leslie's room was way too busy for a 3 yo and Kellie didn't do what the kid wanted. Kevin's living room is totally laid out wrong. What was he thinking? Meg blew it with the lantern board. Has she not heard of using a freaking level?

vCash
    I just started watching. I don't believe Uncle Fester couldn't find a mantle in any of those stores. Leslie is on design crack. I understand why Kellie doesn't want to do bunk beds, but the kid specifically asked for them and the parents didn't say no. If she doesn't want to do sports, she should at least give him the damn bed.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Double elimination! Leslie and Uncle Fester. He totally bulldozed those homeowners. I'd never watch his show. Carl is a good designer, but I don't think he has the personality for TV. Kellie, Mark and Meg are all better on camera.

vCash
    I like Leslie and was sorry to see her go, but her camera challenges have been horrible. She's also IMO more of a stylist than a designer. Not sorry to see Uncle Fester go either as I find him annoying and don't care for his design aesthetic.

BUUUUT...

Based on this challenge alone, if I were seeing it for the first time, I'd be really confused as to why Meg and Kellie are still there. When you look at what Mark accomplished in that huge space, essentially completely redoing floor-to-ceiling two rooms, it's sort of mind boggling how one designer can do so much so well while another did nothing, and did it badly. I cannot tell you my depth of loathing for that stupid lantern art piece. What part of that couple said "lantern art"? It would have been great in the country inn, but not in a home. The landing I think had even less purpose than it did before. After that room, is there a single pillow left in Jersey?

Kellie's room was just sad. I understand not wanting bunk beds because they can be dangerous, but I don't think using that loft bed was any safer. The soccer ball things were dumb--a locker would have been better looking, IMO. At least Leslie's had personality.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Carl is a good designer, but I don't think he has the personality for TV.
    ITA, this is why I think Mark will win. Mark needs to have a catastrophic failure to lose now. He has the talent and the looks.
    I notice Casey from last season got a show- or at least an episode. She was 3rd or 4th I think?

vCash
    I agree, it is Mark's to loses. He is very creative, and productive! What he and Karl did, compared to the ladies in this challenge in the same amount of time???
    Kellie disappointed me a lot in this challenge.
    I don't get how the judges seem to really like Meg. Personality wise, she seems a little annoying, and other than a couple nice things, has not impressed.
    Karl -impresses me with his results, but not sure how I would like him as a host. He is very creative.
    And I am so glad Uncle Fester is gone. Did he not listen to David's tips for the reveal. it is like he heard, this is what you do, not don't do this.

In general, this season has been very good and better than the last few. Seems like they took the challenges that worked in the past and knock them up a few notches. I feel I am getting a better sense of the competitors.
    I do enjoy David being their mentor.
    But I still miss the 2 lady judges from the beginning seasons (cynthia and ??). At least we have not seen too much of Candice and Gen has toned it down a bit after last season. Vern, whatever, also had toned it down.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast