Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

vCash

HGTV Design Star: Ace Hardware, Fuscia, Cottonballs, Rnd 4

Tis the season for competition reality TV! Early poll set--which will be more of the Ultimate Talent Competition Trainwreck: this, FN, or SYTYCD.

Looking at the fashion shenanigans alone, I have HIGH HOPES for some epically bad four walls this season.

Let the mixed print wars begin!
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Who got auf'ed? I missed the ending. Or the frightening orange wall scared me out of the room. One or the other.

vCash
    I've already forgotten her name; the one who had the stupid tea lights stapled to the walls and the badly executed wallpaper in the frames IIRC.

vCash
    I'm shocked--Design Star might be going for the unthinkable...legitimacy. They actually had the worst two as the bottom two, and kicked off the youngest, most attractive, most boring contestant.

There doesn't seem as yet to be a villain a la Penny.

My world is askew. If they kick off the right person and focus on design rather than good TV, I don't know if I can watch. I'll give it a few more chances, but if someone doesn't throw some cottonballs, I might have to give this season up.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post

There doesn't seem as yet to be a villain a la Penny.
    I thought Ms. I Used to be in TV and have 3 Emmys might be the villain candidate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    I've already forgotten her name; the one who had the stupid tea lights stapled to the walls and the badly executed wallpaper in the frames IIRC.
    Au revoir, Blanche!

The second she put those fakakta tealights on the wall, I knew she was toast.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    And that wallpaper art with the bubbles and rips -- yikes.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    BUMP! I love the white box challenge, and I like that they're doing it early so you can see the designers' individual styles. Much better than that stupid team concept they had last season.

Though I'm not OK with cheese ball abuse. That's just WRONG.

vCash
    ^ LOVED Mark's Air Force mural!

I've been begging my better-half for ages to let me do a really bold and dramatic mural on our apt's big wall (which we affectionately call "The Bulkhead" ). Everytime he comes home after one his late nights, he worries about what I paint mischief I've been up to!

I liked Cathy's idea of the spice mosiac...but I'm sort of not loving Cathy herself.

I thought Bret would have done something with the bomb motif, other than just tracing them on the wall. Maybe he could have filled them in with some kind of camoflage pattern or maybe even a metallic paint?

Cheese Puff gal with the Lucky Strikes voice? Ugh. Shmearing the coffee didn't help!

following Eden around to the place where we're the only ones who think what we think
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    I thought Ms. I Used to be in TV and have 3 Emmys might be the villain candidate.
    Ahem! FIVE Emmys thankyouverymuch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyGray View Post
    Ahem! FIVE Emmys thankyouverymuch

So sorry! That shows you how much credence I give to an Emmy win.

vCash
    I think Cathy is getting the villain edit. Not only is she being portrayed as arrogant because of her Emmys, but she's also <gasp> somewhat conservative in her designs. I always like the white-box challenge, but I also find it a bit unfair that a designer has to "go crazy" to win. I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with a designer that creates a functional room out of unusual supples if that is who the designer is. And, frankly, I think a lot of viewers would get more out of Cathy showing them how to make a pseudo-mosaic coffee table using broken plates than they would out of a giant wall mural that most of us don't have the skill to do. (And I personally loved the mural and the boldness of the room.)

I also think it's a bit unfair to Cathy to label her as arrogant, when she only mentioned her Emmys during a confessional. I'm sure she was asked about her experience in front of the camera and responded. I actually like that it was presented up-front since the alternative would be to pretend she was some random designer who was surprisingly natural in front of a camera and then have people accuse her of being a ringer.

What surprises me is that Ms. Former Dallas Cowboy chearleader is not getting the villain edit.

vCash
    I didn't find Cathy's room boring or conservative, either.
    Duplicating Keith Haring wasn't "creative".
    I admired Haring greatly; but, copying him makes me question what Doug's design style is.

vCash
    I actually think it would be a more difficult challenge to create a functional room out of non-traditional items than to just go crazy. Seeing a crazy room doesn't really give me a sense of what I can do in my own home--I'm sure as hell not going to be turning a futon into a plane with bowls for representational wings anytime soon. The camera challenge was at odds with the design challenge--you can't tell the designers, go insane, make a non-functional room...and then tell the designers they have to give a practical tip.

My two favorite rooms didn't make it to the top--the guy that did the lighting fixture out of plastic to-go boxes and the girl that dipped her feet in the paint and walked across. I found that room so intriguing--occasionally, I go to a writer's group and we do these odd little writing activities. I would love to bring a picture of that room as a ten-minute create-the-story exercise.

vCash
    *BUMP!*

Ooooh, Uncle Fester vs. Claire Huxtable!

I'm surprised Miss Lucky Strikes pulled it off so well, but she did! Well deserved win.

I'll miss the little hipster dude.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    *BUMP!*

I'm surprised Miss Lucky Strikes pulled it off so well, but she did! Well deserved win.

I'll miss the little hipster dude.
    I loved the room that Karl, Mark, and Meg did. I wouldn't mind having something like that in my own house.

I'll miss Brett too. I think he's really cute, but he never did any interesting design at all.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    I knew Brett was a goner. He maybe should have been a goner last week--I'd rather have bad than boring.

I didn't think any of the rooms were that bad. The losing room I think on a lot of other challenges would have been middle-of-the-back, though I agree it was the worst room in that challenge. My main problem with the room is that it was too modern in feel; people don't stay at a country inn on the beach because they want new and beige. I feel like the headboard could have worked if tweaked and in a different atmosphere. Totally agreed with the winner; that whole room was fantastic, and Meg's was particularly Loved the patterned headboard. I don't normally like stuff like that, but it was perfect.

I think HGTV must need an actual designer to do an actual show, so they went for people with talent. I've noticed there's not the usual bag of self-taught morons, hairdressers, expressionist artists, etc. I noticed they went back to the second-place finisher to Kim the Stylist and gave him a show. Unlike FN (who I think just runs FN Star because the competition gets ratings and have no intention of churning out a new show ), I think FN might be taking this a bit more seriously than normal. Genevieve is almost tolerable, and her highlights are excellent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    *BUMP!*

Luv it! Definitely Claire physically, but not as nice and motherly. Cathy is unbearable. All the other teams seem to get along pretty well, and then Cathy and poor Uncle Fester. He could be annoying, but he means well, and not as arrogant as Cathy. I was bummed she did not get the boot.

I do enjoy every week with the on air challenge Cathy is given advice, and seems similar to the others and she has 5 emmys!

interesting with Meg, she really annoyed me a few weeks ago, but the judges (I think it was Genieve in particular) was still nice to her then.

Karl and his painting or tile - so cool. But will they reference the winner Jen and her one-note painting.

I am glad they ditched last years format. So far much better challenges this year. getting a better fell for the individuals.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I can't believe he thought he could paint over a varnished floor and it would work. Uncle Fester screwed that room's floor. I hope HGTV paid to have it stripped and refinished. I'd have sent him home just for being stupid.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I can't believe he thought he could paint over a varnished floor and it would work. Uncle Fester screwed that room's floor. I hope HGTV paid to have it stripped and refinished. I'd have sent him home just for being stupid.
    Candice's episode summary said the bad thing about it was that it scrapes off easily and the good thing about it is that it scrapes off easily so it is easy to fix.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast