Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    My cousins are more like brothers than my own brothers sometimes. It is just rrreally hard for me to imagine.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    IIRC, incest doesn't necessarily mean anything as far as genetic problems or illness goes. I read a study that debunked that a while back. It's still sort of creepy just due to social norms, but yeah, overall sort of eh.

I mean next thing you know, gays will be marrying or something

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I don't have a male first cousin worth looking at twice.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    IIRC, Eleanor and Franklin Roosevelt were fifth cousins....were they not?
    When does it affect genetics? How close do you have to be related before the risk of defects increase?
    When does it affect genetics? How close do you have to be related before the risk of defects increase?
    Okay, I'm not an expert at this, but in one generation, I believe the risks aren't large. However, when this happens over multiple generations, then the risks get larger. That's why some "small" populations have tendencies toward certain diseases or disorders...For example, Ohio Amish have a genetic tendency towards "Cohens syndrome," certain middle eastern tribes which intermarry have higher rates of certain genetic disorders than the general population, etc...

I usually like to quote scientific sources, but this 60 Minutes article gives a very good explanation of Cohen's syndrome in the Ohio Amish:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in700519.shtml

Here's one related to co-sanguinity and genetic disorders in Jordan: http://ncd.org.jo/index2.php?option=...=132&Itemid=79

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa
    I don't have a male first cousin worth looking at twice.
    One of my first cousins is very close to my brother in terms of both age and looks. So... never ever ever.... The other male first cousin I have is around 20 years old, I have not seen him since he was 8. I do not know where he lives or what he looks like now, so if I'm ever in a cougar phase I need to be careful of ever picking up any guy named Austin without looking at his birth certificate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiery View Post
    Okay, I'm not an expert at this, but in one generation, I believe the risks aren't large. However, when this happens over multiple generations, then the risks get larger. That's why some "small" populations have tendencies toward certain diseases or disorders...For example, Ohio Amish have a genetic tendency towards "Cohens syndrome," certain middle eastern tribes which intermarry have higher rates of certain genetic disorders than the general population, etc...

I usually like to quote scientific sources, but this 60 Minutes article gives a very good explanation of Cohen's syndrome in the Ohio Amish:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in700519.shtml

Here's one related to co-sanguinity and genetic disorders in Jordan: http://ncd.org.jo/index2.php?option=...=132&Itemid=79

From the Amish story:
    "I have a son that married a girl, they share the same great-great grandfather," says Iva Byler. "And when he called me to tell me that he was gonna get married, I said, 'Do you realize that you already stand a big chance to have a handicapped child since you have three siblings.' And he says, 'Yes, I know.' He got married anyway."
    Can't argue with that kind of logic. They sound so willing to accept the risk.

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    I have two first cousins who have been married to each other for about 35 years (their mothers and my mother are sisters). They have three children who are all fine. Their mothers were very upset when they eloped but got over it. We still make jokes about them being their own cousins by marriage. That, and other things, too (those two cousins always were a bit strange).
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

vCash
    It may be another of those instances where the celebrity makes the revelation (comes out, etc.) because the "reporter" has come to them saying that an article is being written on this. Do they have any statements that can be added? Chad Allen had this happen. He was told he was about to be outed by a tabloid, that had proof. Did he want to be interviewed to do this nicely, or should the tabloid put their spin on the whole thing.

vCash
    I don't get the ick factor. I get that if can complicate a child's genetical make-up, especially if repeated through generations, but do not emotionally feel that first cousins are automatically taboo. Who do you think people in small villages married 500 years ago? I think it depends much more on circumstances of upbringing- if you played your whole life with a first cousin, he/she will probably feel more like a brother/ sister; if you saw each other first at 18, it might feel differently.
    improving my ballad- like lines

Click me with your mouse
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    I don't get the ick factor. I get that if can complicate a child's genetical make-up, especially if repeated through generations, but do not emotionally feel that first cousins are automatically taboo. Who do you think people in small villages married 500 years ago? I think it depends much more on circumstances of upbringing- if you played your whole life with a first cousin, he/she will probably feel more like a brother/ sister; if you saw each other first at 18, it might feel differently.
    My mom's younger sister married their first cousin, who they did grow up with and were very close to as children. They've been married for 30 years and have two children and grandchildren, so I guess it worked out for them, but it was pretty awkward when I figured out as a 5 year-old that they were related and their own children didn't even know.

vCash
    Yes. That's probably the sekret reason why those two weren't having torrid, hot, animal sex all the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    My cousins are more like brothers than my own brothers sometimes. It is just rrreally hard for me to imagine.
    ITA. But my cousin, who is my age but went to a neighboring high school, apparently thought that first base wouldn't be too gross. Junior year she suggested to me that "we should 'practice' make out, so that we'll be better with the opposite sex." As I recall, she didn't notice my the first time she made that suggestion, but caught it clearly the second time, a few weeks later.

That said, I fear wonder what would've happened if it were her older brother who had made that suggestion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine M View Post
    Not sure what the fuss is either.

One set of great-grandparents on my mother's side were first cousins. It was quite common within their family, for first cousins to marry. I'd like to think I turned out ok!
    Mine, too -- maternal great-grandparents were first cousins. They came to America from Ireland, and married once they were here.

Reading as many historical books from England as I do, I see it all the time. don't see it as that big a deal.

-Bridget

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Common perhaps, but still icky. I mean, their parents are siblings! There are too many people in the world to date than someone who has the same grandparents as you.
    The world is smaller because of modern transportation. But it wasn't always so small. At least in rural communities it was difficult to find a larger dating/marriage pool.

If you and your next door neighbor grew up together, played together, fought each other and later married, is that an ick factor? You grew up together, practically lived with each other, your parents knew each other - probably having family dinners together, etc.

Personally my older male cousin was not someone, even if we were not cousins, that I would consider dating material. The other male cousins were younger than me and I found them to be too "childish".

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    My daughter's cousins on my side of the family are not blood-related, since they're my stepsiblings' kids. I once pointed out to her that she could marry her eldest cousin, a Prince-William-look-alike who's a very nice and smart guy. Ewwwwww, was her reaction; they've grown up as cousins from birth and the incest taboo kicked right in.

My ex-husband had a short fling with his first cousin, though. I thought it was icky at the time and still do.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    IIRC, incest doesn't necessarily mean anything as far as genetic problems or illness goes. I read a study that debunked that a while back.
    You're not any more likely to have genetic problems with first cousins than anyone else unless the family's already known to carry a nasty double recessive. Full siblings and parent/child, obviously, there's a much higher risk of passing those on.

The Westermarck effect would only apply if you actually were closely raised with cousins from an early age. I wouldn't know most of my first cousins if I tripped over them, so that varies by family.

I wouldn't suggest you keep doing it repeatedly, but we linebreed and inbreed animals all the time and don't get freaks and monsters.

vCash
    I have two first cousins who did'nt get married but they did live together and have a child about twenty years ago. Most of the family thought it was gross, especially since they had grown up together. Of course both those families did some stuff the rest of us considered less than normal. And in my dad's crazy family that is something. The kid is fine but I do think she has about five half-siblings between her parents other relationships.

What I was most surprised about from the OP was D'Onofrio. I knew he was off because I was a L&O:CI fan and I had read stuff about him that was ****!!! The way he treated his girlfriend and child was shocking though. He just up and left because he could'nt stand crying and did'nt want a family anymore? I had gotten the impression that his daughter lived with him and his current wife part of the time. Maybe I was wrong. But honestly what an ass****.

As for Greta I don't think its really bad. I am sure she saw stuff in Hollywood that would that story look tame.
    Last edited by Clytie; 07-12-2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Even though he is an ass I should spell his name right.

vCash
    Perhaps the fact that I don't have any cousins (my parents were only children) makes it hard for me to feel the "ick factor" that so many have expressed in this thread. A high school friend married her stepbrother (their parents married while my friend and her stepbrother were in 9th or 10th grade). Even though they were not related at all biologically, it did make me just a bit uncomfortable at the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    Yes. That's probably the sekret reason why those two weren't having torrid, hot, animal sex all the time.
    STOP IT!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    You're not any more likely to have genetic problems with first cousins than anyone else unless the family's already known to carry a nasty double recessive. Full siblings and parent/child, obviously, there's a much higher risk of passing those on.

The Westermarck effect would only apply if you actually were closely raised with cousins from an early age. I wouldn't know most of my first cousins if I tripped over them, so that varies by family.

I wouldn't suggest you keep doing it repeatedly, but we linebreed and inbreed animals all the time and don't get freaks and monsters.
    I disagree. For example, if you compare the chihuahua to the wolf. They're just freaks and monsters that we want.

Although first cousins are not likely to have any genetic issues. It took a long time for a wolf to become a chihuahua and we were breeding for it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast