Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Actress Greta Scacchi's Shocking Revelation: My Cousin Fathered My Son

She had an affair with her first cousin!
    Not a crime in her neck of the woods, but I cannot help but to find it unsettling...and now what will her son have to go through now that it's public knowledge? Before, only family members knew.

For several months, the secret relationship had been her own private illicit thrill. But having reached the first trimester of her pregnancy, Greta Scacchi knew she had to tell her family about the baby and who the father was. The explosion, especially from the Italian branch, was inevitable.
    More than a decade on and Greta says she still can’t believe some people continue to react negatively to the fact that she and Carlo, the father of her 12-year-old son Matteo, are first cousins (her father’s sister is Carlo’s mother).
    In her frankest interview ever, the Emmy-winning star reveals that falling in love with her cousin and best friend almost tore her family apart. She admits even she was initially horrified to have romantic feelings for Carlo, who is three years older and worked for the family’s import-export textile business.
    Between filming Presumed Innocence with Harrison Ford and Shattered, she met D’Onofrio on the set of a film called Fire Within, which never saw the light of day. ‘He was my first big love and it was a truly traumatic time. We filmed for ten weeks during which I fell completely. It was my first head-over-heels, stupid love where I handed over the key to my heart. ‘I have never been so lost before. I was overwhelmed by him. There were plenty of signs that it wasn’t going to work or last. But I didn’t want to see them. We were constantly rowing and breaking up.’ Greta was thrilled when she became pregnant. ‘He begged me to have his child and buy a house with him in New York. I thought we were going to be a family but he couldn’t even bear to hear the baby crying,’ she says. ‘One morning when Leila was six months old and we were staying in a rented flat in Leicester Square in London, he suddenly said, “I’m not ready for family life, I’m going back to New York.” ‘I was devastated. Early in our relationship he had been fiercely jealous over other men being attracted to me. But I was completely monogamous. Fidelity was his issue, not mine.’ Greta even turned down the role eventually taken in Basic Instinct by Sharon Stone in 1992 because of D’Onofrio’s possessiveness. She says: ‘I wanted my relationship with Vincent to work out and this kind of mega project would have been the death-knell. Sometimes I regret it because I can see how my passion influenced my decisions.
    D'Onofrio sounds like a twat though.

I always wondered what happened to her - she was white hot for a while and I loved her in Heat and Dust and White Mischief. She totally could have done a much better job than Sharon Stone did in Basic Instinct. I'm sure of it.

But the admission about the paternity of her son? Skeevy? Or not? Discuss.

vCash
    Ick... Such a close blood ties is not good for the child. I read that the world's oldest woman had married her first cousin and lived to see her only child die from illness. She also outlived her grandson. Best of luck to both her and the kid. Modern medicine can do wonderful things and hopefully her son has nothing to worry about too much.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Not sure what all the fuss is about. Yes, there can be medical problems if first cousins have a child, but it's not illegal in Europe so it's hardly a scandal.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Not sure what the fuss is either.

One set of great-grandparents on my mother's side were first cousins. It was quite common within their family, for first cousins to marry. I'd like to think I turned out ok!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Not sure what all the fuss is about. Yes, there can be medical problems if first cousins have a child, but it's not illegal in Europe so it's hardly a scandal.
    It's not illegal in half the states in the U.S. either, so I don't see why the huge fuss either.

vCash
    My brother in law is married to his first cousin. They have two kids intheir 20s and 30s. They are fine. It was hard for me as an outsider in the family because I was the first to join the family in years, but I barely think about it now.

vCash
    In many smaller farming communities, it was common because it was a small population base and not easy to travel to other communities. First cousins, second cousins, etc.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I remember hearing about this many years ago - that she had the relationship, and then later had a child. She even says in the article that it was public from almost the beginning.

vCash
    It was quite common for royalty in Europe to marry cousins.

vCash
    Penny still being on The Next Food Network Star is not illegal in Europe and at least 2/3 of the US, but people still can be upset about it.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Penny still being on The Next Food Network Star is not illegal in Europe and at least 2/3 of the US, but people still can be upset about it.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I'm not even sure why this is being treated as a big revelation, unless Greta is trying to get her name back in the public eye and/or is looking for work.

What the story doesn't mention is that prior to hooking up with her cousin, she was going out with Tim Finn (NZ musician, in Split Enz and Crowded House), and he so couldn't stand being away from her for any length of time that he basically sidelined his career and followed her around the world. And she dumped him (very bitterly and publicly) to be with her cousin, and the fact that he was her cousin was very well publicized at the time. So it's not like it's ever been a secret.

And yes, I am a Tim Finn fan, and recall that at the time she dumped him there were a couple of thousand fangirls who thought she must be the stupidest woman on Planet Earth
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I remember the relationship with D'Onofrio, including some paparazzi shots of them bickering in public, but not the relationship with her cousin that resulted in a child.

And yes, I am a Tim Finn fan, and recall that at the time she dumped him there were a couple of thousand fangirls who thought she must be the stupidest woman on Planet Earth
    I don't know about that, but maybe a little stupid for letting D'Onofrio keep her from choosing film roles, maybe.

vCash
    Common perhaps, but still icky. I mean, their parents are siblings! There are too many people in the world to date than someone who has the same grandparents as you.

vCash
    Was this in the last issue of News of the World?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Common perhaps, but still icky. I mean, their parents are siblings! There are too many people in the world to date than someone who has the same grandparents as you.
    Good point.

vCash
    I have a rule that if I share a common ancestor with someone within the last 4-5 generatons,it just isn't happening lol If someone else wants to,it's their business but it is something that doesn't interest me.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    There are too many people in the world to date than someone who has the same grandparents as you.
    What if cousins simply fall in love?
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    IIRC, Eleanor and Franklin Roosevelt were fifth cousins....were they not?
    When does it affect genetics? How close do you have to be related before the risk of defects increase?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    What if cousins simply fall in love?
    I guess it depends on when simply falling in love is enough. Is it ok if we're talking brother and sister? Uncle and niece? Father and daughter? Your son and your brother's daughter? IMO, icky all around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast