Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Not that I recommend it to everyone, after all I've spent 3 weeks in London and had time, and did visit the Royal Museum of Pathology.

If giant kidney stones are your thing, you have to make an appointment to go there.

Another highlight for me was Freud's museum. I just had to see THE COUCH. Oh and walking on Abbey Road.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    Not always, but now and then they make an exception. (for Big Ben/Clock Tower Tours)
    And those exceptions are pain the butt.... If you are not a citizen of UK, then a resident of UK has to formally apply on your behalf to the local MP, several months in advance, and wait until there is a space on this very limited tour which may not take place 7-8 months later….. I had to do it once, through an aircraft leasing company in UK, to take Aeroflot associates on this tour… took almost over half a year to arrange.

vCash
    OKay, I am going to give away my new-found favourite restaurant. We stumbled upon it by chance, and we allowed a table for 60 minutes only, because we didn't have reservations. Next time, I will make reservations.

This is the National Portrait Gallery's Portrait Restaurant. It is on the top floor of the NPG in Trafalgar Square. No matter where you sit you will be at roof top level with the buildings, up with the flags and gargoyles. Not quite at eye level with Nelson. The food is good, service good, view spectacular.
    http://www.npg.org.uk/visit/food/restaurant.php

vCash
    One caveat for the British Museum: it can be horrifically crowded. When we went a couple of years ago we gave up after about 90 minutes. It was HOT in London that week (90 degrees F), and between the crowds and the heat (it's not air-conditioned) I couldn't stand it.

Yet another recommendation to get to the Tower of London right at opening. I could have spent the entire day there but unfortunately we had plans to meet friends elsewhere in mid-afternoon.

I really enjoyed the Turner collection at the Tate.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Hello All!

So I have decided to officially take a couple of extra days in London so I can make sure I get in extra time to see everything that I want to. I will be arriving September 22 around 2 PM, so I'm thinking I can get to my hotel around 3:30ish? I hope so anyways... I'll be staying at the Imperial Hotel which I've been told and can see from is relatively in the central part of the city... The following is what I'd like to see and do... Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, Hyde Park, Tower of London, Big Ben (just to see not to go inside of course), Tower Bridge, Camden Markets, Picadilly Circus, SoHo(Gay Village of course! lol), Harrods, and Westminster Abbey. Now, I have NO idea how to plan for this, I plan to be up as early as I possibly can to get it all in, if anyone could help me plan an itinerary I'd HUGELY appreciate it. I arrive September 22 around 2 PM and departing the morning of the 27th for Paris. I'm wondering if I could get any shopping in? I have a bit of an expensive taste for things like D&G, Armani, Versace, Prada, Gucci and Burberry? Would I have time to get these in or I'm wondering if I shold wait until Paris to hit those ones... If anyone can help me plan this all, I know our brilliant FSUers know more than I could ever hope to begin so any help with planning would be HUGELY appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

Kyle
    Kyle

vCash
    Forgot to add, is it going to be at all possible to get out to Windsor Castle from where I am in the centre of London? It says from my hotel by public transit it will take THREE hours... is that right? Perhaps there's a bus tour or something that I could take? If its going to take three hours both ways obviously that's not something I can do... If anyone can advise of how I could get out there in much quicker time.. that can help me plan better to get out there. Thanks much!
    Kyle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    Forgot to add, is it going to be at all possible to get out to Windsor Castle from where I am in the centre of London? It says from my hotel by public transit it will take THREE hours... is that right? Perhaps there's a bus tour or something that I could take? If its going to take three hours both ways obviously that's not something I can do... If anyone can advise of how I could get out there in much quicker time.. that can help me plan better to get out there. Thanks much!
    There's no way it should take three hours in each direction.

It takes about 30-40 minutes by train from Paddington to Windsor & Eton Central. It might take about 20-30 minutes (give or take) by public transport from where you're staying to Paddington. So, if you have to wait for a bus or a train, it might take three hours traveling time round trip, but not one way.

Transport for London
    National Rail Enquiries

vCash
    I think it's Islington is the part of London I'm in? I think I'm at the Imperial Hotel in Russell Square... could be wrong though?
    Kyle

vCash
    I think it's Islington is the part of London I'm in? I think I'm at the Imperial Hotel in Russell Square... could be wrong though?
    If you're actually in Russell Square, you're in Bloomsbury. You are very near the U of London and the British Museum.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Either way if I have to wake up at 7:30 AM in the morning on a Sunday to get out to Windsor Castle I will.
    Kyle

vCash
    Definitely not 3 hours. I occasionally have to go to Windsor for work and from Waterloo or Vauxhall, it's 50 minutes. From Paddington, it's about 35 minutes but you have to change trains in Slough and walk a little bit further in Windsor. From Waterloo, you'll go to Eton and Windsor Riverside which is next to the Castle.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    If you're actually in Russell Square, you're in Bloomsbury. You are very near the U of London and the British Museum.
    Yep. Russell Square is near Islington, but not in it. It's a great location though!

If you really want to make the most of your time, do a hop on, hop off bus tour. They'll take you to most of the sites and you can get off if you want. It'd be the fastest, although you could easily do it yourself in 4 days
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    That's such a huge relief to know, I'm such an obsesseive Type A personality that I am am trying to lay out a schedule and itinerary for myself haha. Here's hoping I can get it all mapped out and lined up for myself! haha
    Kyle

vCash
    I have a spreadsheet itemizing each day for two weeks, with how much the train will cost and allocating funds for the day. Said spreadsheet is the cover page of a booklet with sleeves with each day broken down with the train schedules, event tickets, theater tickets, restaurant coupons and anything else I crammed in. I leave in a week and I have been ready for over a month. These next seven days will be PAINFUL.

And definitely take Waterloo to Windsor, it is far easier when you get there to just walk up the hill to the castle. Nice fish and chip place opposite the station too if you just missed a train and need something to eat

vCash
    Wow! I'm sticking with a word document, my credit cards and a bit of spending money and hopefully what my tour manager can help me. I'm going to work on it bit by bit and kinda wing it in Paris lol.
    Kyle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolineL View Post
    I have a spreadsheet itemizing each day for two weeks, with how much the train will cost and allocating funds for the day. Said spreadsheet is the cover page of a booklet with sleeves with each day broken down with the train schedules, event tickets, theater tickets, restaurant coupons and anything else I crammed in. I leave in a week and I have been ready for over a month.
    Wow! And I though I was a compulsive overplanner.

I do carry a booklet with travel documents, hotel printouts etc., organized chronologically . Having a piece of paper with the hotel's logo on it sometimes makes the difference between getting a room and being told "Sorry, no reservation".

Have fun

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I have a spreadsheet itemizing each day for two weeks, with how much the train will cost and allocating funds for the day. Said spreadsheet is the cover page of a booklet with sleeves with each day broken down with the train schedules, event tickets, theater tickets, restaurant coupons and anything else I crammed in. I leave in a week and I have been ready for over a month.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Hey my England trips are serious business. I should start a service planning them for people. The online deals and coupons I unearth are amazing.

vCash
    I'm starting my itinerary for myself, probably not to the detail of some on here but I have more and more confidence that I will be able to get everything in and even get into some of the stores I want to see too!
    Kyle

vCash
    I'm doing a few new things this time (I do go every year for a fortnight). I will give you a review when I return August 22nd. Can't wait now it is less than a week!

vCash
    I have a spreadsheet itemizing each day for two weeks, with how much the train will cost and allocating funds for the day. Said spreadsheet is the cover page of a booklet with sleeves with each day broken down with the train schedules, event tickets, theater tickets, restaurant coupons and anything else I crammed in. I leave in a week and I have been ready for over a month. These next seven days will be PAINFUL.

And definitely take Waterloo to Windsor, it is far easier when you get there to just walk up the hill to the castle. Nice fish and chip place opposite the station too if you just missed a train and need something to eat
    If, as it appears, you have been to the U.K. before, CarolineL, surely you know that British train schedules are merely aspirational.

Personally, I'm with Lao Tzu, who said, "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.”

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast