Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

vCash
    I figured it out after looking on a map. I'll just take a bus from Russell Square to the Paddington Train Station and then from there it's onto Windsor Castle! Thanks FSUers for helping me manouvre through this!
    Kyle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    Stupid Question but where is Paddington?
    32, Windsor Gardens.

vCash
    Paddington Bear! ZOMG! I had completely forgotten he existed Trip to and From Windsor Castle all planned out! lol.
    Kyle

vCash
    I found Paddington in the lost luggage section at Paddington Station this past Saturday! He used to be in a big glass case in the centre of the station but I guess this is appropriate as he was a lost bear.

Back from a fortnight in England, worn out but happy

vCash
    I collect Christmas ornaments--the shop I've seen mentioned in magazines is Tobias and the Angel? Any other shops that feature beautiful ornaments whether current or vintage? (I love shopping, antiquing, flea markets etc...)

vCash
    Well folks, I figure I should update! I did get to London and Paris with Contiki and I saw about 99% of what I wanted to see The only thing I really didn't get to see was the cemetery in Paris where Jim Morrison and Oscar Wilde are buried. That's because my last day in Paris I came down with a nasty sinus infection that confined me to my bed in the hotel. Flying 12.5 hours without any antibiotics nearly killed me .

So I will try to summarize as briefly as possible though it may not work too well .

Heathrow while very large and twisty/turny was actually fairly easy. No issues through customs or getting my luggage while I did find it a little bit creepy that my large suitcase was on the ground in a pile with many others already waiting... I got to see Hyde Park, Kensington Palace Harrods, Harvey Nichols, Trafalgar Square and Picadilly Circus all in my first day. It was all very walkable and easy. Thank god for the tube! Easy and simple. Second day consisted of the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace and Kate's wedding dress (stunning by the way! So much intricate detail but DAYUMN that girl is tiny), I went on a tour of Westminster Abbey, The Houses of Parliament, and rode the London Eye (ended up going twice... but not in a row, on two different days! haha) Next day was Windsor Castle and doing the top of the round tower. Walked around the town and did the long walk about a quarter of the way before I got lazy and turned around The night I met up with all in my tour and went out to SoHo to party. We tried to get into GAY bar at Soho and there was waaay too much of a line so we hung out at a place called "Village" instead. At the end of the night being stuck in SoHo so we had NO way of getting back. Instead we took one of those bicycle cabs and the little guy with his legs got FOUR of us back in 15 minutes. So we tipped him well. Next day was Bath and Stonehenge and well... The English countryside is lovely but both were not my favorite places ever. Stonehenge was boring and Bath was a bit too comercialized for me. Final day in London was The Tower of London. I had to walk around twice for the Crown Jewels. Stunning! Loved it all! Friends and I hung out at a London Pub and I had Fruli Strawberry which was my favorite beer ever! The last night was a music at the Savoy... it was Legally Blonde. A lot of my friends and I walked out after the first act. Thoroughly not impressed. We walked around the Savoy for about 15 minutes just experiencing the stunningness of it. We almost got booted but what the hell, you only live once! The place was unreal for the beauty. We found a Canadian Bar called The Maple Leaf and had fun for the rest of the night. It was so Canadian Cliche but it felt like home for one night

Next day over, The Ferry from Dover to France was rather nauseating... I had to take a half a perkeset to settle the seasickness. Thank god for friends who were on hand to provide the good stuff. France was very nice but I much preferred England. That being said it was beautiful and I saw some amazing things. First night in Paris, we went on a bus tour and saw some of the main sights, we pulled up to the military school and were told to look real close in one of the windows, could have seen Napoleon's teddy bear... much as we looked, and if we look to our right, there is the flashing Eiffel Tower in all it's glory! We got up to the third level and had some great night views Next day I got dizzy, climbed to the top of the Arc de Triomphe, bought several items at Gucci and the famous Champs Elysees, did the walk-through at the Notre Dame Cathedral. Me and two other girls grabbed a baguette, I had this ridonculously good strawberry dessert tart thing and a great bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon and had a picnic on Champ Du Mars under the Eiffel Tower though one of my group members got us lost and we ended up in a gross train station before getting there (not the metro as a nice Frenchmen so pointed out!) Later on was getting snazzy and getting ready for the Moulin Rouge... food was good but unfortunately the show was a bit too Las Vegas for me. Partied the night away at O'Sullivans next door. Kilkenny by Guinness... lol. Next day up early (by this point I was getting used to 4-5 hours of sleep a night when normally I get double...) for the Louvre, went down by the secret entrance that no one uses and boom no lines! I was only in for about an hour though. I saw the main highlights and got out of dodge. I walked along Rue du Rivoli and found D&G! I spent more huge amounts of money and had a BEAUTIFUL salesman. Seriously, if ever in Paris go in to D&G on Rue Du Rivoli just for the gorgeous salesman... Found a tourmate, we walked four feet into Hotel Crillion and got booted because of Paris Fashion Week. We weren't welcome. Hung out at the Devil Wears Prada fountain and then headed for Palace of Versailles. The Palace and Gardens were amazing! I could have spent an entire day in the gardens themselves but time didn't permit. Last night with the group was a Night up in Montmatre and The Sacre Couer. Beautiful building and the hill. I walked up the steps. Who needs finculars? We had a nice dinner and then found a hill and shared a bottle of wine... Bad idea! haha next day I woke up with a scratch throat but still managed to tour the unbelievable opera house. Amazing architecture. Got down to Hotel Des Villes to take some pictures and Pont Des Arts. Bought a lock for someone very special and then went to dinner with two friends. Next day I woke up feeling like absolute death. I found myself confined to my bed at the hotel. I didn't do a darn thing except get some throat stuff which didn't help. Charles De Gaulle was a nightmare plain and simple. The security was rude, had me go back in a stupid line just to end up in the exact same spot and then questioned me when I attempted to get my carry-on... Needless to say was not impressed. Air Canada didn't help matters when they were late, oversold the flight and we were late taking off. I was supposed to have a two and a half hour layover, After being one of the last to get my bags on a fully sold huge plane, going back through customs, rechecking my back and going back through security... They were boarding. I seem to have a habit with barely making my flight home I was dead by the end of it. Thankfully though I am better now! Though unfortunately I lost my job about a week ago (boss had daddy call me to tell me, even though it was something boss man gave full approval to). Here's hoping something good comes soon!

So that's the extent of my Europe trip. Got everything in!
    Kyle

vCash
    Sounds like a great trip!

I'm glad someone else didn't like Bath. On my trip to England nine years ago, my friend and I spent a day and a half there and we hated it. I fully understood Jane Austen's quote about the oppression of the "white glare of Bath" (which you are likely to be charged for looking at!).

vCash
    I found the Roman Bath's to be rather boring, the Abbey was absolutely charming with it's architecture, and of course I had to get my picture on Gay Street There were some lovely sites and what have you, but Bath was definitely not my type of town. Glad we were only there a couple hours!
    Kyle

vCash
    I loved Bath, usually I go on a tour bus and have so little time to look around. This time we went for a full day and explored the town and spent a few hours in the spa. Even did a sit down lunch at Sally Lunn!

vCash
    Glad you had a fun trip. Would you do Contiki again? I would, but as the time goes by I would be one of the older ones on the trip.

vCash
    I would Contiki just for the people that I met and I think it depends on the time of season that you go. There were plenty of people in their late 20's to mid 30's so it was nice that way. The youngest I think was 20-21ish. It was also nice because we got to bypass most lines and such but if you're worried just about your age, just don't go at the beginning of summer when all the 18 year olds are likely to go, other than that age I don't really think is a factor.
    Kyle

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345