Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Kindle or Nook?

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    If I were to criticize something about it, I dislike the cloud computing direction that amazon is trying to take the Kindle Fire in-that's why it has a relatively small sized storage-Amazon wants you to buy cloud space for your extra stuff.

However, you can still off load stuff to your computer-so you really don't need to buy cloud space for it. I just don't like where I see this going.
    Everything is cloud-oriented these days, which makes my computer programmer husband crazy. He thinks it's all a very bad idea to rely on cloud storage, but people do it all the time now.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    The new Nook tablet is really amazing so far. Overall improved usage compared to the Nook Color is quite noticeable. I've played with it much so far and am being VERRRRRRRRY tempted by it. Would be fantastic for traveling and the improved screen resolution (along with the special anti-glare glass) made for easy reading.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    The new Nook tablet is really amazing so far. Overall improved usage compared to the Nook Color is quite noticeable. I've played with it much so far and am being VERRRRRRRRY tempted by it. Would be fantastic for traveling and the improved screen resolution (along with the special anti-glare glass) made for easy reading.
    It's out already? I thought it's out on the 18th

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    It's out already? I thought it's out on the 18th
    Yup, most stores received them yesterday. B&N had them shipped early in response to Amazon doing the same.

It's really too bad most media is comparing only the Kindle Fire to the iPad. From what I've learned, the Fire is more like last year's Nook Color. The new Nook Tablet has more tech specs that are similar to the iPad than the Fire.

Title-less
    vCash
    Darn, I drove the opposite direction today and didn't go by B&N.

Anyway, I'm watching IN on Fire now, and it plays okay, but gosh I wish there were physical volume control.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Everything is cloud-oriented these days, which makes my computer programmer husband crazy. He thinks it's all a very bad idea to rely on cloud storage, but people do it all the time now.
    Yes, and I definitely agree with him.

It is clearly an attempt to make palatable and then monetize something that has been free. And it comes with attendant risks to your data.

It amuses me because it is a return to the 1980ish version of IBM's VM. You have a relatively dumb PC (these days Ipad lookalike) as a terminal, and your entire life is on a mainframe (these days server) somewhere off in cyberspace (in those days, Sterling Forest ). Indeed, you could go anywhere in the company, any state, any country, and sit down at a random desk and work like you were at home without any delay, loss or learning curve (except that overseas, you needed to use gml (very similar to html) to cope with the differences in printers set up for foreign languages). You could even do it at home. Needless to say, the PC concept won massively over this prototypical "cloud" concept, partially because IBM wasn't selling storage on their own big machines to PC buyers, but also because people liked having control of their own machine, software and data, and not being at the mercy of the corporate gods in the sky.

I do wonder why people are so interested in buying into a concept today that they so strongly rejected 30 years ago.

Title-less
    vCash
    Last week in Colorado i went to a radio shack and asked if they had a nook tablet
    The person said yes and went to the back and brought back a kindle fire
    i think b&n needs to do better at getting their products to stores

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Last week in Colorado i went to a radio shack and asked if they had a nook tablet
    The person said yes and went to the back and brought back a kindle fire
    i think b&n needs to do better at getting their products to stores
    It's at Best Buy, Walmart, Staples, Books-a-Million and Barnes & Noble stores. To be honest, I think those are the most important ones to hit for an electronic device that is also centered on being an e-reader as much as being an everything-in-one device. That said, it will also be available at Target, Radio Shack, and QVC for the holidays.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Title-less
    vCash
    Okay, I've played with both Nook tablet and fire at length and here're my comparisons:

First thing first: When it comes to playing icenetwork, I'll vote for Nook Tablet all the way. I have trouble getting the Fire to go to full screen and I also have trouble with the controls once it starts playing. Nook also plays Netflix beautifully.

The other thing about Nook is the SD storage. The Fire's cloud drove me nuts. The fire only accepts certain files in the first place, so if the files you email to kindle aren't the right format, it won't show up at all. Sure, it may send you a little email saying it rejects the file, but who wants to go through all that just to upload some personal stuff? On top of that, for some reason I have trouble seeing my cloud in Docs. (and the fire doesn't come with the cable that connects you to the computer so you can't do a USB file transfer) That to me is a deal breaker--I actually took it back to the store and get a nook tablet instead. The nook feels better in the hand for sure. It also seems to charge faster though I haven't really tested that one seriously.

But that doesn't mean Nook is perfect. The SD slot is kinda hard to get to; the 'n' button is harder to press than the Fire's button, and on top of that, Nook relies more on that little button than Fire, which relies more on the on-screen menu. Nook reads Epub (a big plus) but not in Asian fonts (a real bummer); the menus are slightly less intuitive than Fire (though not a deal breaker). Also, there seems to be less free apps (or apps in general) available. Nook also doesn't play DRM-Mp4 videos, but then neither does Fire (not without tweaking apps anyway) The Epub thing and the apps are a real bummer, but then I guess there's no perfect product for that price. (Or perhaps I can root that thing eventually and solve some of these problems, lol)

So my suggestion? If you're already buying things from Amazon regularly, Fire may be your thing. But since I'm not a regular Amazon user, half of the things they offer aren't useful, and I opted for the Nook. (Wait till someone finds a way to jailbreak this thing to make my Asian epubs work )
    Last edited by jlai; 11-25-2011 at 06:02 AM.

Title-less
    vCash
    I have also concluded my I-touch is the best thing ever
    it does everything except flash and certain video formats
    With these mini tablets you pay for irs handiness but with fewer functions
    Last edited by jlai; 11-25-2011 at 06:02 AM.

vCash
    Nook Touch on sale on Black Friday for $79 ! Ooh, I think I'll have to get one ... if there will be any left by the time I get to B&N.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Nook Touch on sale on Black Friday for $79 ! Ooh, I think I'll have to get one ... if there will be any left by the time I get to B&N.
    Not to worry. Stores were shipped a supply of special edition Nook Simple Touch devices (they're white) for this promotion, but they can sell their entire supply at this price. Trust me, the stores have LOTS on hand. But do remember, this price is good ONLY on Friday. Saturday morning they're back to $99.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Not to worry. Stores were shipped a supply of special edition Nook Simple Touch devices (they're white) for this promotion, but they can sell their entire supply at this price. Trust me, the stores have LOTS on hand. But do remember, this price is good ONLY on Friday. Saturday morning they're back to $99.
    Hmmm, interesting. Is it possible to have two e-readers and one account? My husband might like a Simple Touch, but I would prefer to have it registered to my Nook account. I would guess it would be fine, since I have the Nook app on my cell phone and everything syncs.

Hmmm.....
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Title-less
    vCash
    Bestbuy gives you an SD card with 2 gb with 30 free books when you get the Nook Touch, Tablet or Color. The card is in standard B&N packaging, so perhaps B&N sells the devices with the cards.

vCash
    Hmmm, interesting. Is it possible to have two e-readers and one account? My husband might like a Simple Touch, but I would prefer to have it registered to my Nook account. I would guess it would be fine, since I have the Nook app on my cell phone and everything syncs.

Hmmm.....
    Yup, go get one

vCash

Hmmm.....
    I can't tell you about B&N, but at Amazon, if you already had a Kindle and ordered a Kindle Fire, they assumed I was upgrading: all my books are available on my husbands Fire, so it's one account with 2 Kindles. By the way, I bought a capacitive pointer for him, and it has resolved any touchscreen issues he had. It cost $5. The screen is shinier than I like for reading--I understand there is an anti-glare cover available for it, but I'm not bothering.

As to IN, to get full screen, spreading your fingers out like you do with I-products works-I get to watch in a good aspect ratio and was able to leave up a scrap with the order of skate, which is my preference.

vCash
    Get this, I get employee discounts at different stores via my company's exclusive deal with Discounts 4 you and Corporate Perks.

Today, I missed a whopper of a deal; $125 off Nook Tablet. Needless to say it was sold out when I reviewed the offer via email just now.

The HUMANITY of me of all folks not seeing this deal.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    So...I...um....went to the...um...dark side...

I bought a Nook Simple Touch

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    So...I...um....went to the...um...dark side...

I bought a Nook Simple Touch
    Welcome.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Hehe, I got one first thing this morning also. It was the only piece of shopping I've done the whole day. Honestly, it's not something I need but for $80 why the heck not

It'd be interesting to find out how many Simple Touch B&N sold today.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast