Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kindle or Nook?

vCash
    He says he was at Books a Million. There was no Kindle there, just the Nook.

When the Nook "didn't work", he bought a Kindle at amazon.com.

There is no Best Buy in the area.

Why he had a problem with the Nook, I can't tell you, but he detests the Motorola Flip phone he has and likes I phones and has no problems with them.

Myself, I really don't like anything with a touch screen. The ones that are heat sensing refuse to admit I'm alive. The ones that are pressure sensing don't work well with long fingernails for me, but they are better than the heat sensing ones.

I'm sorry to hear the new Kindle is going to be a touch screen.

Ubering Max Aaron, Bobrova/Soloviev,Sotnikova, Gordi Pots!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    You can still buy the Kindle w/ keyboard. There's not that much of a difference besides the obvious. Went to target and saw some Kobo and Nooks w/ no keyboard that nearly convinced me I needed the Kindle w/o the keyboard. But that touch screen totally ruins it for me.

Like the Kobo the best b/t it and the Nook, though.

vCash
    He says he was at Books a Million. There was no Kindle there, just the Nook.

When the Nook "didn't work", he bought a Kindle at amazon.com.
    I wonder if it wasn't charged or if it was on demo mode. I went to Office Max today with my husband and a friend and while we were waiting for something else, I played with the new Nook Touch. It was in demo mode so I couldn't actually play with it. The screen kept switching telling me all of the wonderful things it could do. I hate when e-readers are in demo mode. Just leave it in a normal mode so people can actually use it and see if they like it.

Myself, I really don't like anything with a touch screen. The ones that are heat sensing refuse to admit I'm alive. The ones that are pressure sensing don't work well with long fingernails for me, but they are better than the heat sensing ones.

The new batch of touch e-readers should work because they're infrared touchscreen. They're sensitive to just about anything. The Sony Reader I have responds to the touch of my fingers, to the touch of the stylus included with it or the touch of just about anything else.

However, as Jemestone mentioned, Amazon is still selling Kindles with keyboards. A lot of people still prefer keyboards so it's good they're keeping that option.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    The new batch of touch e-readers should work because they're infrared touchscreen. They're sensitive to just about anything. The Sony Reader I have responds to the touch of my fingers, to the touch of the stylus included with it or the touch of just about anything else.
    I've had my Nook turn the page when my finger was hovering closely over the screen.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

Title-less
    vCash
    Just to continue the discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by Wiery View Post
    My husband wants an e-reader, our 8 year-old wants to play angry birds on it, so I suggested either Nook Tablet or Kindle Fire.

I've got the first generation Nook and a 3rd generation Kindle, and I generally prefer the Kindle as it seems to be easier to navigate-However, the Nook Tablet and Kindle Fire are quite different, and I'd like to hear from peoplle who own one of them.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Neither is out yet; there's already a thread on e-reader:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...highlight=nook

Interestingly, Kindle Touch is due out 11/15 (Fire probably about the same time) and Nook Tablet is out on 11/18. They're going head to head!
    Last edited by jlai; 11-08-2011 at 12:53 AM.

vCash
    I think the the Nook Touch is pretty cool. I always play with it whenever I'm in B&N. But I read in Consumer Report that the new Kindle Touch is lighter than the Nook.

I think the Kindle Fire is what I might get. IPad is too expensive for me, and I don't don't need to play games or any of the extraneous stuffs that you can do on an ipad. So the KF seems right for what I need.

The problem with B&N and Amazon trying to constantly outdo one another with their e-readers is that it makes it so hard for consumers to decide . I mean competition is obviously good, but can't they wait 2-3 few years before coming out with new models .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I think the the Nook Touch is pretty cool. I always play with it whenever I'm in B&N. But I read in Consumer Report that the new Kindle Touch is lighter than the Nook.

I think the Kindle Fire is what I might get. IPad is too expensive for me, and I don't don't need to play games or any of the extraneous stuffs that you can do on an ipad. So the KF seems right for what I need.

The problem with B&N and Amazon trying to constantly outdo one another with their e-readers is that it makes it so hard for consumers to decide . I mean competition is obviously good, but can't they wait 2-3 few years before coming out with new models .
    Haha. That's mobile technology for you. Once you buy it, it's already outdated.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Haha. That's mobile technology for you. Once you buy it, it's already outdated.
    Ha, you got that right! If only Amazon offers "upgrades" every 2 years...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post

There are already talks about rooting the Nook Tablet in comments.

Also, even though it does not have bluetooth, having the extra internal storage 16GB to Nook Color and Kindle Fire's 8GB is excellent news. Also, I love they kept the sd card slot, you can expand the storage up to 48GB.

That is huge, you can take with you your movies, audiobooks, music and files w/o worrying about have a wifi connection to the "cloud".

The head to head will happen when both are compared together. Also, I love how B&N will give current nook color owner the software upgrade next month.

For those considering the Nook Color or Nook Tablet, I discovered over the weekend that B&N has its Read-In-Store feature. You can read any available ebook free for an hour in the store. The ebook does not have to be free ebook either. Now, someone told me you can read up to two hours if you don't change apps and if you go back to the store to access the book you can start reading from where you left off.
    Last edited by topaz; 11-08-2011 at 05:30 AM.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Ah...but can it play icenetwork? If so, I'm getting one

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Ah...but can it play icenetwork? If so, I'm getting one

Actually, yea it will. I can watch IN now with my nook color but the picture quality is chopping due to the version of flash on the unit.

With the Nook Tablet it will have the most updated android system, either honeycomb or ice cream sandwich.

vCash
    I'm hoping once someone gets the Nook tablet it can be confirmed if Ice Network plays smoothly. I suspected that might not be the case with the Color but it's hard to tell in store whether it's the hardware or the wifi being too weak.

Can't get it now but would make a nice employment treat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    I'm hoping once someone gets the Nook tablet it can be confirmed if Ice Network plays smoothly. I suspected that might not be the case with the Color but it's hard to tell in store whether it's the hardware or the wifi being too weak.

Can't get it now but would make a nice employment treat.
    I have a Nook Color, the reason the streaming is chopping is because of the version of flash player with the operating system. Nook Color, right now is using flash player version 8 or 9. With flash play 10, the stream will be smooth.

Nook Tablet will have the most recent flash player, google OS and a faster processor. I'm sure it will run it. The demo I watched showed the Nook Tablet running Hulu Plus and Netflix which both use flash player.

Also remember, you can go the B&N store and actually use the product before it. Therefore, you can sign on to your IN account and try it out

I'm not sure when I'll get the Nook Tablet. I would love for them to release a 10 in version soon, then I'll upgrade. But, I'm sure that B&N will offer a trade up option or a coupon towards any new Nook.

Title-less
    vCash
    kindle fire is out today. So far the review is mixed it seems

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I read a rave review of the Kindle Fire on a blog yesterday, but I think Wired reviews carry more weight, and Wired is unimpressed: http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/11/kindle-fire/

CNET is equally lukewarm about the Nook Tablet; there is a comparison of the Fire and NT at the end of the review: http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/barn...-35059751.html

I really wanted a tablet when they first came out, but I've been able to play with several versions for a few days at a time since and I am kind of meh about them now. I find that I use my Nook Color as a reader nearly all the time and rarely as a tablet. If I'm out and need something quickly, it just isn't as fast as my cell phone and it's sometimes more annoying to use. Someone on another discussion board I belong to described tablets as "passive entertainment delivery systems" and for me, at least, I think that's true. And that's just not something I really use except for reading; I'm not into watching video on small screens or playing a lot of games. If I have a choice between a computer and a tablet, I'll take the computer for the higher functionality, and there is nearly always a computer somewhere nearby.

This is not to say that I won't be happy to get one for Christmas, mind you, but I think that tablets, like e-readers, might be still be something of a niche market item.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    My husband got a Kindle Fire for himself. It arrived today. It plays youtube very well indeed, and icenetwork acceptably.

vCash
    My husband got a Kindle Fire for himself. It arrived today. It plays youtube very well indeed, and icenetwork acceptably.
    Sounds like what my Nook Color, which I bought in Feb does now.

vCash
    Probably. I have never used the Nook color-I can't say.

However, the sound quality is good with the Kindlefire, and now that I am a little better with the sizing, I'd give it a better than acceptable on icenework.

If I were to criticize something about it, I dislike the cloud computing direction that amazon is trying to take the Kindle Fire in-that's why it has a relatively small sized storage-Amazon wants you to buy cloud space for your extra stuff.

However, you can still off load stuff to your computer-so you really don't need to buy cloud space for it. I just don't like where I see this going.

Heck, TV used to be free. Now I pay more a month for it than I do for electricity.

Title-less
    vCash
    I just got a Kindle Fire (because I aaaabbbbbsolluuutely need to watch GP in France while I go to sectional championship )! And I can't wait until Nook Tablet comes out because I won't be near a Barnes and Nobles during my travel.

Just tried Icenetwork. It plays just fine. Not great but not bad

ETA: But I reserve the right to return my Kindle Fire in exchange for a Nook Tablet. :eville:

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast