Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kindle or Nook?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimsoul View Post
    Another really nice thing about having a Nook is the in-store support. If you have any sort of problem with your Nook & don't feel like dealing with it on the phone, you can just take it to a B&N store, hand it over & have the problem diagnosed & resolved WHILE YOU WAIT. Pretty sweet.
    I've actually been impressed with Kindle's support, especially since you can ask them to call you back and so far, they've called me back exactly when I've asked them to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    The new Nook seems pretty cool. It's smaller, lighter and touch-screen control. I want to see what what the next version of Kindle will do though.
    Just wanted to add that true, the new Nook is smaller, but the screen size is exactly the same as the previous model (and Kindle's).

Title-less
    vCash
    Bumping up this thread as Amazon is announcing its new Kindle touch for $99 and the new

Kindle

ETA: Regular kindle is down to $79.
    Last edited by jlai; 10-01-2011 at 12:56 AM.

vCash
    I'm really interested in the Kindle Fire.

vCash
    I love my Kindle. I got one of the first to come out (hubby got it for me). It is my favorite thing. The new Kindle Fire looks fab. However, it does not have the 3G access.

We were just in Mendocino for a few days. Very sketchy phone service, no internet, not even my trusty Verizon Broadband............but my Kindle! Supreme. Downloaded a couple books.

I am going to wait for the 3G version of the Kindle Fire.

I take my Kindle everywhere. I love the fact that I can look up words, and that I can buy (really easily) other books by the same author. I have over 500 books in my archives (and Kindle hasn't been out that long).
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by myhoneyhoney View Post
    I'm really interested in the Kindle Fire.
    Me too. I haven't got an e-reader yet, but one with a web browser and cloud data storage for $200. I think they might be able to count me in.

The only thing I was wondering.....you don't need a service plan, like with a monthly bill, do you? I'm not interested in that.

vCash
    I don't think it requires a service plan but you would need access to wifi. I've been using the Kindle app on my droid incredible and I enjoy it. It might be time to "upgrade" but then there are the tablets.... so many choices!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahclear View Post
    Me too. I haven't got an e-reader yet, but one with a web browser and cloud data storage for $200. I think they might be able to count me in.

The only thing I was wondering.....you don't need a service plan, like with a monthly bill, do you? I'm not interested in that.
    The Fire is wifi only, no 3G. So no service plan, but you might be restricted in where you can use it. If they do release a 3G version someday I definitely would expect a monthly fee unlike the e-ink versions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    The Fire is wifi only, no 3G. So no service plan, but you might be restricted in where you can use it. If they do release a 3G version someday I definitely would expect a monthly fee unlike the e-ink versions.
    Kindle has always come with 3G. There is no service plan involved. And, it works everywhere. I don't know what their network actually is, but it is, in my book (pun intended) fabulous.

vCash
    I have a nook color and I love it.

I heard that Barnes & Noble will be having two Nook updates. Nook Encore and Nook Acclaim. The Nook Acclaim is suppose to be 10.1 in screen for approximately $349. We'll see when it is announced and what the price will be.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Kindle will be coming out with a 10.1 screen next year.

I have a tab.....Samsung Galaxy 10.1.........and I love it.....but it is a little to big (for me) to take everywhere. I had the Galaxy 7 inch..........about the size of the Kindle, and I loved the size (the new Tab has way better features)....my kindle though, goes everywhere.......

I watched a video demo about the Kindle Fire's browser, called Silk - a "cloud accelerated split browser". It sounds really like it could (if it works as advertised) be fabulous.

Frankly............there are just too many things. I used to try to keep up....but it is not possible. My brain just won't handle it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Bumping up this thread as Amazon is announcing its new Kindle touch for $99 and the new

Kindle

ETA: Regular kindle is down to $79.
    Amazon is working real hard to price other competitors out of the e-book market aren't they?

I really wonder what competitor (B&N, Sony, Kobo, etc.) can compete with $79 and $99 e-readers? I'm thinking none.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    I have a tab.....Samsung Galaxy 10.1.........and I love it.....but it is a little to big (for me) to take everywhere.
    I want a tablet, but that's my problem with them--they're too big to throw in my purse and haul around. My Nook Color is awfully heavy as it is.

I did find a small, light tablet that I liked a lot, but the reviews aren't very good and I think the particular technology they were focusing on isn't going to last .

But tablets make me droooooooooool. My Nook Color is very nice, but it's not really a tablet and it shows.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Title-less
    vCash
    What's the cheapest and user-friendly device I can get if I wanna watch Icenetwork on a WIFI-enabled bus (or some place like that?)

ETA: How does Nook Color work out when watching skating videos?

vCash
    You all should keep in mind too--all those low prices Amazon is now offering are for the ad-supported devices. You can get them without ads for an increased price, almost identical in most cases to all the Nook models.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    You all should keep in mind too--all those low prices Amazon is now offering are for the ad-supported devices. You can get them without ads for an increased price, almost identical in most cases to all the Nook models.
    From what I gather, the ads aren't intrusive - it's just the screensavers. But you can't buy special offers Kindles if you're not in the US, only the full-priced ones, and the Fire and the Kindle touch 3G are unavailable, period. So for international readers, this announcement doesn't change much. I do like my Kindle, though, so it's not like I was going to get one of the new ones.

modern_muslimah, I thought one can get a Kobo for under $100 in many places - am I wrong?

vCash
    Another note about the Nook--B&N just confirmed ability to purchase and download content directly over wifi anywhere in the world as long as you have a US or Canadian based credit card linked to your bn.com account. They also emailed out coupons to many customers for $25 off Nook Color and $10 off the other models.

vCash
    This probably is true for BN accounts also, but my amazon account was compromised by a hacker, forcing me to close it. I lost all my kindle books because of it! (since they are attached to your account, and for some reason they have not figured away to switch over purchases like that to new accounts made by the kindle owner) However, kindle support was really helpful in setting up my kindle to my new account with amazon. And they emailed me a list of all my kindle books and calculated the cost to re-purchase them, plus gave me a amazon credit for the cost to replace all my lost books. (BTW, it was really obvious my account was hacked and not my fault it had to be closed, so that may be why they were so generous). A big pain, yes. But I will say amazon customer service was top notch in fixing the problem as best a possible. They credited me around $200 to rebuy my books onto my new account. More than fair.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    modern_muslimah, I thought one can get a Kobo for under $100 in many places - am I wrong?
    The old wifi model was selling for $99.00 in some places (notably Borders). The new touch model is selling for $129.00.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    Amazon is working real hard to price other competitors out of the e-book market aren't they?

I really wonder what competitor (B&N, Sony, Kobo, etc.) can compete with $79 and $99 e-readers? I'm thinking none.
    Nook wi fi is $139 that's comparable to the Kindle Touch which is $99.

Nook Color is $249 now, but its a e reader tablet. It actually uses Android OS for the tablet portion, Amazon Kindle Fire is not. Also, Nook Color is currently "rootable". I know a few folks who have rooted their Nook Color which makes the Nook Color an actual 7 in Android Tablet for $249.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast