Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kindle or Nook?

vCash

Kindle or Nook?

I'll be traveling around this fall enough that I might break down and buy one. I know people with both but way more kindle owners than nook owners.

I like the color aspect of the nook but that's about where my preferences begin and end.

Does anyone here have preferences and/or suggestions/advice. I am open to all opinions.

vCash
    I'm pretty sure there was a discussion about this a few months ago. You might try a forum search, there were some pretty good responses.

All I'll say is by getting a Nook you support a bookstore and in turn it can support you--in person--whenever you need it for your Nook needs/concerns.

vCash
    To sum up the Nook v. Kindle: as just an e-reader, Kindle is the best in terms of sheer book-reading. However, if you want any features, like playing games or internet or technical help, go with a Nook.

I love my Kindle, but I can tell you, technical support with it sucks. I got a new debit/credit card with a new number, and it was such a PITA to get everything squared away. It gave me all sorts of grief--three days of calls and emails for a simple update.

Like I said, I adore my Kindle. But my next ereader will be a Nook.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I would go to the closest Barnes and Noble (or Books-A-Million) around you and test drive all the different models of the nook that they have.

Keep in mind that the Nook Color is more in line with an iPad and all the other "smart" devices rather than a Kindle. The original and the new Black and White nook models are the ones that are in direct competition with Kindle. I have the original nook and I absolutely love it. I heard the new models are even better but I haven't had much experience with it. One great thing about nook over Kindle is that the nook reads more file formats (pdf, epub, etc.) so you have more choices when you want to sideload (as in transfer files from computer to device) content outside the BN shopping page and that also allows the nook to connect with local libraries who have electronic lending.

Since I no longer work at Barnes, I don't know if Barnes and Noble is answering the demands for international book buying as that is one major thing Amazon has over BN and is something I felt they should have worked on a long time ago. Of course, there is a way around that, but I would rather just have a direct way to purchase if I travel internationally.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I'm very happy with my kindle

vCash
    I have a Kindle. I love it. I've never had or used a Nook, so I have no idea.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    To sum up the Nook v. Kindle: as just an e-reader, Kindle is the best in terms of sheer book-reading.
    That used to be true, but the new Simple Touch reader has overtaken the Amazon in tech reviews. It's still a little early for consumer feedback yet.

Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Keep in mind that the Nook Color is more in line with an iPad and all the other "smart" devices rather than a Kindle. The original and the new Black and White nook models are the ones that are in direct competition with Kindle.
    Yes, an important distinction. The Nook Color is really an anomaly in the e-reader world. If e-ink and no backlighting is important to you, you don't want a Nook Color. OTOH, you can watch Ice Network and other streaming video on a Nook Color .

One great thing about nook over Kindle is that the nook reads more file formats (pdf, epub, etc.) so you have more choices when you want to sideload (as in transfer files from computer to device) content outside the BN shopping page and that also allows the nook to connect with local libraries who have electronic lending.
    Amazon is working with Overdrive (the company that makes the software that is used by most libraries) to make book borrowing possible. I suspect--but don't know--that Amazon will be using Mobipocket format for book borrowing. I don't know why they weren't allowing this to begin with, as the Kindle format is just Mobipocket with one symbol difference, but I don't think they planned on allowing library privileges.

Since I no longer work at Barnes, I don't know if Barnes and Noble is answering the demands for international book buying as that is one major thing Amazon has over BN and is something I felt they should have worked on a long time ago. Of course, there is a way around that, but I would rather just have a direct way to purchase if I travel internationally.
    Spinner can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe they have done anything about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    Some of the info in those threads is already out of date, believe it or not.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Daughter and daughter's boyfriend, both recently employed at B&N but now gone, got me to invest in a color Nook. I just traveled with it for the first time and it was terrific, gave me both Internet access and books, I don't really need an IPad now. I downloaded two books while in Israel, no problem.

Of course, wrestling it away from my Angry Birds-playing daughter is something of an issue.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Daughter and daughter's boyfriend, both recently employed at B&N but now gone, got me to invest in a color Nook. I just traveled with it for the first time and it was terrific, gave me both Internet access and books, I don't really need an IPad now. I downloaded two books while in Israel, no problem.
    But through WiFi, yes? Because the issue has always been that you can't use their 3G internationally.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    But through WiFi, yes? Because the issue has always been that you can't use their 3G internationally.
    Yes, through WiFi. But that's not much of an issue with every hotel and airport offering it these days, usually for free.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    I use an ipad. I have lots of books using both iBooks and the Kindle app. And lately I live in Overdrive, because I can check out ebooks from my local library through it; the app itself isn't great, it's not nearly as "book-like" as iBooks, but I'd rather not have to buy every single book I read.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I just bought the Nook Simple Touch Reader and it's about the best thing I've bought all year. I'm not a techwhore, though, so I can't vouch for its tech powerz. I love it because it's small and light and lets me read for hours without making my eyes tired. It doesn't have Angry Birds, but that's what I like about it. I just wanted a reader, I didn't want a full-blown gadget chock full of features that would distract me from reading. However, I showed it to tech friends and they were very impressed with the tech aspects of it.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I just got the new Color Nook this summer, and love it. I can even check out books from the library on it - a LOT of good, current books!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    That wouldn't matter with the color Nook since it doesn't offer 3G. That said, it's good to hear PRLady got some books abroad. Wasn't sure if it was available yet. I believe in the past you could buy the ebooks online then sideload them to your device.

Another bit of advice--buy a gift card and load it to your online account for ebook buying. Many people have reported they spent WAY more than they thought they would initially and a gift card will help you track your spending at first.

vCash
    Thank you everybody for your information and insights.

The idea of prepaying with a gift card is brilliant and I never would have thought of it!

vCash
    The new Nook seems pretty cool. It's smaller, lighter and touch-screen control. I want to see what what the next version of Kindle will do though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    All I'll say is by getting a Nook you support a bookstore and in turn it can support you--in person--whenever you need it for your Nook needs/concerns.
    I really think this is very important, especially if your e-reader breaks quickly. My first nook's (old B&W model) screen broke in less than 24 hours. It just died for no apparent reason. It was great to be able to take it to a store, have someone look at it and then give me a new one on the spot. No having to mail it in or be put on hold while waiting for someone to help me. That will always be a plus for B&N in my book.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    I really think this is very important, especially if your e-reader breaks quickly. My first nook's (old B&W model) screen broke in less than 24 hours. It just died for no apparent reason. It was great to be able to take it to a store, have someone look at it and then give me a new one on the spot. No having to mail it in or be put on hold while waiting for someone to help me. That will always be a plus for B&N in my book.
    ITA. I've never taken one, but they have Nook classes at my B&N for all new buyers, which is another nice thing. Technology makes a lot of people nervous. B&N also tempts you to take your Nook to the store for all kinds of reasons. I see people with Nooks buying print all the time; I do it myself. I have a reader, but my husband and kids don't, so I buy books for them, then head over to the cafe to check out the books you can read in the store and use the mighty eagle in Angry Birds to take out a level is driving me crazy and have whatever cafe special pops up when I walk in.

People think that buying a Nook means giving up the bookstore, but I go just as much as I used to. And while I don't buy as much in the store, I somehow end up giving B&N more money. I figure it all goes toward keeping the bookstores afloat and we still need bookstores.

vCash
    Another really nice thing about having a Nook is the in-store support. If you have any sort of problem with your Nook & don't feel like dealing with it on the phone, you can just take it to a B&N store, hand it over & have the problem diagnosed & resolved WHILE YOU WAIT. Pretty sweet.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast