Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The what the feck was he doing there that was supposed to be so different than what she was doing there?
    He wasn't the one running and frantically bashing the button to close the elevator door. I've been there and done that. If somebody told me that I looked like a man on a mission, I'd have replied "You bet I am."

In fact, I remember one time I was in a shop just as they opened and a sales assistant said something similar to me. I didn't realise I should have been offended.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I'm even more bothered when women do it because they are usually repeating viewpoints that are used to belittle and diminish women.

I remember when a female cousin told me that our mutual male cousin was pussy*******. This was deeply offensive to me because it one of the most misogynistic words going.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1wl5FcZkkv...-Mentality.jpg

Fearless Musher
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post

On the wall in my office, I have a version where the small dog tells the huge one "f..k you"
    "I missed the view and viewed the mist..." ©

vCash

vCash
    All these comments and stories reminds me of one.....

I was in the local beauty supply shop in the mall, getting some Nexxus. It was a particularly hot day. And I had to stop in the middle of writing the check to wipe my brow so I could see what I was writing. I made some sort of comment about the heat. One of the two young girls at the register quipped, "maybe it's hot flashes!" The other girl was horrified, elbowed her workmate and exclaime, Kelly!" They both started to apologize, and I said, "gee, I hope so! I can't wait to be done with all that monthly mess!"

The girls both got a look on their faces like they'd just gotten a profound life lesson. You know, stereotypically women are supposed to be devestated when they are going through menopause cause it means an end to their child bearing years. Since I never intended to have children, that "monthly mess" was more of a nuisance than anything else. Of course, the one girl was horrified also cause it meant the other girl assumed I was old enough for hot flashes (which is funny, cause most people guess my age at around 10 years less than it really is).

They both got very thoughtful looks on their faces, and one said, "you know, I never thought of it that way." I think I gave them both something to look forward to!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I haven't, either. If a man said either of those things to me, I'd probably be too startled to reply.
    "Smile" and "don't eat that" are, ime, more likely to be something women say. With intent to be barbed, not a misguided attempt to be cheerful.

I don't mind "honey", "dear", etc. but there is maybe one person allowed to get away calling me "Jenny" (one of my dance teachers, and I have no idea why he started doing it to boot) without an annoyed look at minimum. Pet names are fine, a nickname I don't like is not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    "Smile" and "don't eat that" are, ime, more likely to be something women say. With intent to be barbed, not a misguided attempt to be cheerful.
    My mother-in-law said "don't eat that" to one of my bridesmaids at dinner the night before my wedding... Par for the course, really.
    Classy (and skinny) bridesmaid didn't say anything and instead took an extra cookie off the plate.

Just me
    vCash
    I don't really understand the need some people have to make personal comments to random strangers, but I usually just either smile or ignore them. If anyone says something to me that I think crosses a line, I respond with, "Excuse me, do I know you?"
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Unless I think they're purposefully trying to be an ass, I just laugh it off and roll my eyes. It's not worth wasting too much time or energy over.

vCash
    Speaking of "what would you do?", I was a witness this morning to this disgusting I-wouldn't-have-believe-it-if-I-didn't-see it incident in the gym's locker room:

This naked person (about 50 ish or higher) walked out of the stall and headed toward the shower area, and the person was .... dripping . I honestly couldn't believe what I saw. A little kid I can understand, but a full grown person? Ugh. Thank God I was alreay dressed and was on my way out. Should I have said, "Hey! [point to the floor] ... please clean up after yourself." How could the person not felt what was happening on the way to the shower? I'm never going to walk around the locker area without flip flop.

vCash
    Actually, urine is pretty sterile. Not that anyone wants to walk in someone's urine, but as far as the germ factor, not as much of a worry. Still gross, though

vCash
    It wasn't urine. It was the other end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    It wasn't urine. It was the other end.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    wow orbitz, did you need therapy after that? i might still be in a fetal position.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Grooving!
    vCash
    AW, I would've been offended too. Elevator Man's comments were definitely based on gender stereotyping. I can't stand the whole "women are spenders and shoppers who can't handle money" stereotype. What if his comment had been a racial stereotype instead of a gender one? What if he'd have said to a black man, "You look like you're in a big rush to get some watermelon?" or said to an overweight person, "You look like someone in a hurry to get to the food court?" NONE of those things are acceptable, and I think your response was justified.

Being from the Southern US states, I'm a big fan of the The Freeze, but I don't think it's effective in a situation like this. The problem is that the offender doesn't necessarily understand WHY they're getting the treatment. They might erroneously assume that I just don't want a stranger to talk to me. I want them to know that I don't appreciate their gender stereotyping. The best way to communicate that is to let them know. Being silent when an offensive joke is made is not an option for me.

vCash
    I'm traumatized. Haven't been able to get the visual out of my head all day today.

vCash
    It sounds as though the naked person has significant psychological or physical issues. I think reporting this incident to the management of gym might be in order.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    He wasn't the one running and frantically bashing the button to close the elevator door. I've been there and done that. If somebody told me that I looked like a man on a mission, I'd have replied "You bet I am."

In fact, I remember one time I was in a shop just as they opened and a sales assistant said something similar to me. I didn't realise I should have been offended.
    That is because different people do find different things offensive or people have a different level of awareness about it. What is offensive to one may not probably be offensive to another. But people should then never assume that everyone is the same. That is why you should be careful what you say, particularly when it is making an assumption about someone based on gender or race.

I have heard a number of times both men and women who say to single people "Oh that is a shame" inferring that they should be in a relationship. As a perfectly happy single person I definately do not tolerate having that said to me. But others may go and hide in a closet and think there is something majorly wrong with themself.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I have heard a number of times both men and women who say to single people "Oh that is a shame" inferring that they should be in a relationship. ……. others may go and hide in a closet and think there is something majorly wrong with themself.
    And other “others” may think that something “majorly” wrong with “thoseself”….

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    That is because different people do find different things offensive or people have a different level of awareness about it.
    Please don’t mention the “war”…..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xnNhzgcWTk

vCash
    Please don’t mention the “war”…..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xnNhzgcWTk

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast