Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Ladies 3/3 firsts

I've often wondered why certain records in figure skating get honored and remembered while others seem to go unnoticed. On that note, would anyone care to help me fill in some blanks on who were the first women to complete each type of 3/3 jump?

3toe/3toe: Midori Ito (first PERSON to land any 3/3)

3sal/3toe: Not sure, possibly Surya Bonaly?

3loop/3toe: I've heard that Tonya Harding landed this at 88 US nationals, but have no video to go on. If not her, I think it would have to be Elena Sokolova in 97/98.

3flip/3toe: Again, unsure. Midori was supposed to have this in her 1992 lp, but did she ever land it? Surya landed a few cheated ones in the 90's...

3lutz/3toe: Midori and Kristi both landed this at the 1991 French GP, but Midori skated before Kristi, IIRC.

3toe/3loop: Sarah Hughes in SLC 02? She also attempted it at Worlds in 2000. The only other person I can think of who lands this combo is Miki, in her Giselle LP in 2008 that she dumped.

3sal/3loop: Irina Slutskaya and Tara Lipinski were both trying this combo in 1995/96 and I believe Tara landed it first either on the junior GP or at junior worlds. Slutskaya had a messy attempt at a GP that year but I can't recall her landing it cleanly until 97.

3loop/3loop: Tara Lipinski at the 96/97 US Postal Service cheesefest.

3flip/3loop: Miki landed this once on the GP in 04, around the time that Map was landing it in her jr sp...I can't recall any other attempts prior to that...I'm thinking Mao landed it first.

3lutz/3loop: Irina Slutskaya at the 99/00 GPF. It was cheated, but did get ratified by the ISU.

No woman has ever combined a 3A with another triple in competition (though there is video of Midori doing it in practice!)

Not a 3/3, but I'm pretty sure Debi Thomas was the first woman to land a 2axel/3toe sometime in 85.

All info/corrections appreciated!

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Cool list! I also think the first 3sal-3toe is Surya's in 1993 (The earliest clean one I've seen from her)

Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post

Not a 3/3, but I'm pretty sure Debi Thomas was the first woman to land a 2axel/3toe sometime in 85.
    Midori did a gorgeous one at worlds in 84 (and 1984 Junior Worlds)

vCash
    3toe/3toe: Midori Ito (first PERSON to land any 3/3)
    The first person to land a 3/3 was Grzegorz Filipowski, not Midori Ito.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash

3toe/3loop: Sarah Hughes in SLC 02? She also attempted it at Worlds in 2000. The only other person I can think of who lands this combo is Miki, in her Giselle LP in 2008 that she dumped.
    Hungary's Tamara Dorofejev landed this combo in the short program at the 2001 World Championships in Vancouver. She may have attempted it earlier in the season at the World Junior Championships and the European Championships as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    The first person to land a 3/3 was Grzegorz Filipowski, not Midori Ito.
    I've always heard it was Ito at the jr worlds! Is there video of GF? Thanks.

vCash
    The only sources I can find so far is on wikepedia-and that could mean the source is reliable-or not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grzegorz_Filipowski

Per wikepedia:
    He turned pro in 1992 and currently has been living in Canada where he has been working as a coach in short track.
    He was the very first skater ever to perform a triple-triple combination of jumps (3 toe/3 toe).

and shafersports.net - Fun facts
    http://shafersports.net/fun%20facts.html

Grzegorz Filipowski of Poland was the first skater to perform a triple-triple toe loop combination in competition - 1980

There doesn't seem to be any video footage of Grzegorz prior to 1988.

vCash
    I can't find any videos of him prior to 1986.

Like Ito, he was quite the prodigy. He landed that first triple-triple when he was only thirteen years old.

JacksonSkates List of Skating First (Jumps)
    Last edited by Vagabond; 07-10-2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: To reflect that he was 13 at 1980 Worlds, when he landed that combo

vCash
    I think Elaine was doing 2A-3t in the early 80s.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I think Elaine was doing 2A-3t in the early 80s.
    Yes, she was. Here she is at age 14 at 1980 Worlds completing both a 2A-3t and a 2lutz-3t.

vCash
    Over at FSVids, there is a video of Grzegorz Filipowski at 1982 Euros where he completes a beautiful 3t-3t. He was 15 years old at the time. I've never seen video of the 1980 3t-3t, but he has long been credited as the first to complete that combo.

Vacant
    vCash
    Sandra Stevenson in her BBC Book of Skating from 1983 states that Filipowski was awarded the 'unluckiest skater award' at the 1980 Worlds in Dortmund for being placed so low despite skating brilliantly and landing the worlds first 3/3 combination. I too have never seen any video of him doing this, but it's clear that he did considering the variety of references to this.

Midori did hers at the 1982 Junior Worlds in Oberstdorf which actually took place in late 1981 when she was 12. You can see it here.

Midori was also doing 2x/3t combo in late 1981 and landed a corker in exhibition at the NHK along with triple lutz, flip and loop again aged 12 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMy_oP2xmR0. Waaay better than Elaine's but Elaine was for sure the first at 1980 Worlds.

Regarding 3z/3t, Kristi was the first as she skated before Midori at 1991 Lalique. (Midori skated last.) I don't think Midori had done this before either as I remember a commentator saying this was her first appearance anywhere since those horrible crashes and injuries in Munich. Midori did do 3f/3t in practice at Albertville but not in her LP and of course the footage of her 3x/3t is very well known.

The other first for Midori was doing a triple loop on the back of ANY combination (1983 Jr Worlds IIRC). I don't even know if a man had attempted combo's ending with a triple loop back then.

vCash
    was there someone other than Carolina Kostner practicing or doing 3-3-3
    (Carolina practiced 3F3T3L), but I think with the current rooles there is no reason to do them anyway

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by npavel View Post
    was there someone other than Carolina Kostner practicing or doing 3-3-3
    (Carolina practiced 3F3T3L), but I think with the current rooles there is no reason to do them anyway
    Mao landed a 3f/3t/3r at Japanese nationals in 02/03 but it was loaded with under-rotation. Shizuka practiced 3/3/3s, most notably 3s/3t/3r at the 06 Olympics official practices. I also remember Peter Carruthers saying that Slutskaya was landing 3s/3r/3r during practice on the 05 GP circuit. There is little incentive to do one now.

vCash
    Mao landed a 3f/3t/3r at Japanese nationals in 02/03 but it was loaded with under-rotation. Shizuka practiced 3/3/3s, most notably 3s/3t/3r at the 06 Olympics official practices. I also remember Peter Carruthers saying that Slutskaya was landing 3s/3r/3r during practice on the 05 GP circuit. There is little incentive to do one now.
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is an "r"?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    3r = 3lo.

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    A Rittberger, also known as a loop.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    The loop jump is know as the 'Rittberger' in Europe, after Germany's Werner Rittberger: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Rittberger

vCash
    No woman has ever combined a 3A with another triple in competition (though there is video of Midori doing it in practice!)
    1992 Albertville Olympics practice, right before the 1:00 minute mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKs7NFGnkOk

vCash
    rittenberger (aka loop) jump
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    3lutz/3toe: Midori and Kristi both landed this at the 1991 French GP, but Midori skated before Kristi, IIRC.
    What about Surya Bonaly in 1989 ?

Surya's 3Lutz/3Toe at 1989 Euros

Surya's 3Lutz/3Toe at 1989 Worlds

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast