vCash

removing velcro from a wall

Stupidly I hung some pictures in my son's room using velcro and now that we're moving, is there anyway to get the velcro off without removing the paint?

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Pretty much, no. Sorry.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Why not try Goo Gone? It's a solvent for adhesives. If that doesn't work, isopropyl alcohol, nail polish remover, and WD-40 also work on some adhesives. Baby oil may also work.

I make no promises that any of this stuff won't damage or stain the paint, so try it on one small area first, see what happens before you really go for it.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    If it's a small area, don't stress over it. I accidentally removed some paint when improperly pulling off some 3M picture hangers. I spackled over it and the otherwise-crazy landlady didn't charge me much. (I also put nail holes everywhere and spackled them too.) Live and learn.

FYI, 3M actually makes some picture-hanging adhesives that look/act like velcro. I find it useful for hanging light items that I might want to switch up. That one time I took paint off the wall, I pulled it straight off at 90 degrees, which is NOT the right way to do it! You slooowly pull the tab straight down and the glue will pull away from the wall, no paint damage.

vCash
    I second the Goo Gone, but I use it as a last resort. I try baby oil or WD50 first. Pull up the edge and put a drop of oil, wait a few minutes, pull a bit more, and reapply. Goo Gone will take care of any stubborn spots.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    First try heating it with a hair dryer and rubbing/scraping off what you can.

vCash
    Thanks for the suggestions