Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    I'm glad the investigation was done quickly and that the family seem to be content with not suing. And I really hope the park retrains their employees... because I can guarantee that man passed at least 2 workers before even getting on the ride, and more may have even watched him get on. Handicapped people take longer to load in, so the other workers would have gotten their jobs finished by the time he entered his seat. So massive fail as a whole team.

You're welcome WindSpirit.

Seat belts are a relatively new thing to roller coasters, and not all may have them, depending on what type of coaster it is and whether the coaster is in an amusement park or a county/state fair. But about 10 years ago there was a big hub-bub about adding additional safety measures along with the ones already in place, so most coasters had them added and new coasters were built with them already in place.

But yes, coasters can take a lot out of you physically. Especially the wooden coasters, which give a bumpier ride. The steel coasters have a smoother ride, but they usually go faster since they can be built taller. The one I worked at (Wild Thing at Valleyfair), tops out at 74mph, and that was tough for my neck to take sometimes. And it's not even close to being the fastest coaster... there's one in Abu Dahbi that goes 150mph! I cannot even begin to imagine that ride.
    Last edited by nerdycool; 07-14-2011 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Adding comments for the investigation

vCash
    According to Maha, park policy is spelled out on signs at the entrance and exit of the "Ride of Steel" saying: "For the restraint devices on this ride to fully and safely engage, guests must have two legs and be within a certain range of size and physical dimension."

However he said there was no reckless behavior or criminal negligence on the part of the attendants.

"There is no criminal liability associated with this incident," he said, calling Hackemer's death an "unfortunate accident."
    I wonder why there is no criminal liability?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post
    The one I worked at (Wild Thing at Valleyfair), tops out at 74mph, and that was tough for my neck to take sometimes. And it's not even close to being the fastest coaster... there's one in Abu Dahbi that goes 150mph! I cannot even begin to imagine that ride.
    A tear came to my eye when you mention Wild Thing, don't even get me started about the High Roller I miss them both.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I wonder why there is no criminal liability?
    Because having both legs was a park rule, not a government-imposed requirement. That doesn't stop the family from suing the park, it just means that the park didn't violate any goverment-imposed safety rules.

Many moons ago, Great Adventure in NJ had a walk-through haunted castle attraction. Behind the facade, it was just a bunch trailers linked together with black lights and live "spooks" that jumped out at you as you walked past horror scenes. One spring day, there was a fire (suspected arson) and eight kids died inside because they couldn't find their way out. The park/company was charged with manslaughter because they hadn't set up sufficient emergency plans. (Poor emergency lights, exit signs, insufficient exits and no smoke/fire detectors.) The park was found not guilty, but it was still a horrible loss that led to improvements in the process overall. The families settled out of court for the most part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haunted...reat_Adventure)

I always hated that attraction, and one of my nieces would freak out when we would wait outside. The ghouls really scared her badly. (She was very young)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12