vCash

Elizabeth Smart joins ABC News as commentator

LA Times - Kidnap survivor Elizabeth Smart joins ABC News as commentator

She will be a commentator focusing on missing-person and child-abduction cases. I am wondering if it will be full-time.

I am so excited for her! Congrats to Elizabeth!

vCash
    Indeed! Congratulations to her and best of luck! A hugh cheer for anyone who gets nice gig like that in this tough economic times. But for her it is a double for her courage. I will look for her on ABC!

vCash
    That's really amazing. I know a few women who have been the victims of horrific crimes, and thankfully were able to turn their situation into helping others. I can't ever imagine what any victim has gone through, and won't pretend to know, but I am in awe of those who are able to do something like this.

I feel my words are a bit clumsy right now, but hopefully I'm getting my point across. Major kudos to her!
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Good for her! She seems like a mature, intelligent and articulate person. I'm sure she'll be an asset to the program.

I'm so happy the sicko wasn't able to destroy her life. Hopefully other people who have been through similar experience will be able to look at her and believe that all that bad that happened to them doesn't have to define them.

Thanks for posting it.

vCash
    As much as I'd like to be happy about this news, I'm also worried. ABC hired her because they think she will improve ratings. That means they may compel her to report on cases or discuss topics she's not fully comfortable with. I hope her contract gives her autonomy and authority over her journalistic decisions and allows her to say no if ABC wants her to stick a microphone in a survivor's face or do an interview a la Nancy Grace .

vCash
    I doubt she would do anything she is not comfortable doing or saying. The contract negotiations and discussions took such a length of time that I feel that she is well prepared and not without the ability to say no or refuse to exploit herself and/or others.

She is a tough cookie and thankfully an educated and intelligent addition to the team at ABC. Congrats to her!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    Good for her! She seems like a mature, intelligent and articulate person. I'm sure she'll be an asset to the program.

I'm so happy the sicko wasn't able to destroy her life. Hopefully other people who have been through similar experience will be able to look at her and believe that all that bad that happened to them doesn't have to define them.

Thanks for posting it.
    Agree and I am happy for her, but I am wondering if she has any journalistic or broadcast qualifications, like a journalism degree or something. Not a slam... just wondering as I think broadcast journalism is probably harder than the pros make it look and I want her to be successful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    Agree and I am happy for her, but I am wondering if she has any journalistic or broadcast qualifications, like a journalism degree or something. Not a slam... just wondering as I think broadcast journalism is probably harder than the pros make it look and I want her to be successful.
    She attended BYU as a music major before doing her Mormon mission work (in Paris), from which she returned this spring. ABC has hired her as a commentator, not a reporter, so her lack of journalism background will be less of a problem. She has done a bit of public speaking and I think that she will do at least as well as some of the other commentators that the networks have. I'm very glad to see her continue so positively with her life after the nightmare she endured at 14.

vCash
    Happy for Elizabeth!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    She attended BYU as a music major before doing her Mormon mission work (in Paris), from which she returned this spring. ABC has hired her as a commentator, not a reporter, so her lack of journalism background will be less of a problem. She has done a bit of public speaking and I think that she will do at least as well as some of the other commentators that the networks have. I'm very glad to see her continue so positively with her life after the nightmare she endured at 14.
    She will also have professionally trained and seasoned producers and crew to work with her. It is not as though they will be throwing her out there with a microphone and asking her to come up with and research her own stories.

Having recently worked with a reporter from CNN on a story at my job, I was even surprised at how little the reporter actually did. That has changed over the years. The producer pre-interviewed all the subjects, wrote the questions and even helped write the intro and voice over pieces. The reporter merely showed up, complained about the weather and lack of air conditioning in an auto shop and memorized her lines.

vCash
    Good for her!

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    I have nothing but the utmost admiration and respect for Elizabeth Smart -- she went through a living hell and not only survived, she has thrived and has not let the trauma dictate or dominate her life in an unhealthy manner. Also, the way she classily yet in no uncertain terms served Nancy Grace a hot steaming cup of STFU on her own show was . I think Ms. Smart will be very successful in this endeavor - she is intelligent, eloquent, and determined without being zealous.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtisticFan View Post
    Having recently worked with a reporter from CNN on a story at my job, I was even surprised at how little the reporter actually did. That has changed over the years. The producer pre-interviewed all the subjects, wrote the questions and even helped write the intro and voice over pieces. The reporter merely showed up, complained about the weather and lack of air conditioning in an auto shop and memorized her lines.
    I have to at this - my Ex was a CNN bureau director, and he and the producer constantly referred to the majority of reporters in the media as nothing but "on-air talent," which was definitely not a compliment. Having spent a good bit of time around the reporter assigned to his crew, she definitely fit the description you listed above. To say that she was dumber than a sack of hair would be a gross understatement. When doing live shots during breaking news, more often than not she didn't know WTF she was talking about and never bothered to actually research anything to gain any insight or knowledge about the news at hand - that fell on the producer and director's shoulders all the time. When being questioned by the anchors, her lack of any ability to analyze, connect the dots, or explain in her reply was cringe-inducing and an embarrassment to watch.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Elizabeth Smart is an amazing young woman. I will look forward to hearing what she has to say.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.