Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    If Christopher Dean choreographed Crone/Poirier's FD of last season, I am sorry to say it but I was less than thrilled and it seems that program didn't have much of an impact on the judges either although Vaness and Paul are excellent skaters. With all due respect to legendary Dean.
    But do you think that has to do with Dean's choreography or the fact that the team didn't progress throughout the season due to personal difficulties? It did win them a gold, silver and bronze on the GP circut, after all, as well as a Canadian title.

vCash
    C/P FD was a really nice program but it seemed that it just couldn't convince the judges enough to mark it over 91-92 and that was the magic mark that most of the young teams were aiming this season.But I always thought it was more a Paul than a Vanessa type of program.
    I don't know if I want Dean to work with Tessa and Scott.It may have to do with the fact that I was never a T/D big fan in the first place.
    I'm not sure what the judges mean by "uplifting" and Ican't see every single team doing upbeat programs thinking that's what the judges want.Are Blues considered to be uplifting in this case.V/M and Blues would be really something to behold

vCash
    I presume uplifting means more of emotional upswing as opposed to actually "makes me happy." Not that that clarifies things much, but it does give a broader range than immediately assumed.

vCash
    For example - i think Mahler FD was uplifting, because brought positive feelings afterward.

Short Dance Debate.
    http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/...t-dance-debate

Look, like Igor and Marina didnt like SD a lot. An maybe Latin FD for T-S were Igor idea?
    Last edited by pani; 07-10-2011 at 08:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing something more theatrical from them.
    Would theatrical be the same as dramatic? Can you give examples of music that would fit into each category or both? Which category do you think this score by Shockwave Sound, Call For Heroes fits under http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8VooHLASoY

vCash
    Hmmm.....

I'd classify that piece as being dramatic without being theatrical. It doesn't really suggest character so much as action (see many scores by modern movie composers like Hans Zimmer). If the music mainly suggests action or motion, I'd classify it as dramatic. That's not to deride such music. How to Train Your Dragon is a textbook case of this being absolutely terrific music (I haven't seen the movie) and I think a skater (not necessarily V/M, but maybe Joubert??? Dunno) could do wonders with it.

Theatrical pieces, to me, suggest character just as much as action, if not moreso. Michael John LaChiusa (Broadway composer) is awesome at this ("Black is a Moocher" from The Wild Party) as are composers like Adam Guettel, Stephen Sondheim, Ahrens/Flaherty and Jason Robert Brown. I think "Masquerade Waltz" is definitely both - it suggest passion, drama, character, everything.

Theatrical without being dramatic? I'd guess the work of someone like Cy Coleman?

vCash
    Thank you. So theatrical is more character driven and I would love to see somebody use the How to Train Your Dragon soundtrack, I love it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    But do you think that has to do with Dean's choreography or the fact that the team didn't progress throughout the season due to personal difficulties? It did win them a gold, silver and bronze on the GP circut, after all, as well as a Canadian title.
    Although I liked Dean's choreography for C/P, I thought it was just too reminiscent of T/D. I had thought I would like him to work with V/M but after seeing C/P programs last season, I'm not so sure anymore.
    Perhaps for an exhibition.

vCash
    maggylyn, I agree. If they were to give Dean a try I would hope it would be an Ex.#, first. I love CD's choreography , but it's always looked best on T/D (followed by the Duschenays ).

Some other very fine skaters have used his choreo over the years , with only limited success, and I think that sometimes had more to do with Judges tastes than the skating.

I think Tessa and Scott have the inner fire and command required to carry it off, but why risk it when they can do so much else ? Risk,just for it's own sake, doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

vCash
    I hate this 'uplifting' rule. I get where they're coming from, they don't want to go back to 'theatre on ice', and for one season it was fine but I just feel like it's to restricting. I feel like the skaters will always worry 'is this uplifting?' and limit the possiblities. Not to mention I feel like it could be a cop out for the judges to mark you down and us it as an excuse. I feel like they could've done that with C&P's FD this year which I personally liked (and I'm not suggesting it happened nor has it ever been suggested). I just hate this 'shady' rule.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    I hate this 'uplifting' rule. I get where they're coming from, they don't want to go back to 'theatre on ice', and for one season it was fine but I just feel like it's to restricting. I feel like the skaters will always worry 'is this uplifting?' and limit the possiblities. Not to mention I feel like it could be a cop out for the judges to mark you down and us it as an excuse. I feel like they could've done that with C&P's FD this year which I personally liked (and I'm not suggesting it happened nor has it ever been suggested). I just hate this 'shady' rule.
    I agree and since they are to many restrictions now with the " Free dance" they should change the name for the "long dance"...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OlieRow View Post
    I feel like I say this every year, but I'd LOVE to see something bluesy.
    THIS. I think they could do really well with blues.

vCash
    Or if not "blues", then something like this http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1t...-of-lust_music. The vid is a bit much, but I love Enigma, and I can see exerpts from this.......pretty moody stuff.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    So D-W announce there music choice, any rumors about Tessa-Scott? How do you think, could they made some annoncment before Yu-Na show?

vCash
    I keep imagining them doing something different, like contemporary but I don't know anything lol. I can also see them doing another ballroom like dance though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    I keep imagining them doing something different, like contemporary but I don't know anything lol.
    As do I -- I would love to see something in a more modern dance vein and it would be different from what many others seem to be planning for the coming season. Actually, the problem is that I can most imagine some classic rock that could serve as the basis for a fabulous program, but then they'd be treading fairly close to the Pink Floyd waters and that might be iffy (not because the PF program wasn't great and loaded with further potential, but because of the appearance of repetition at the most generic level). There are certainly plenty of interesting current musical options as well, though...

That said, I'm trying to steel myself for a letdown if they don't go anywhere near this direction, which they very well may not. I do hope they take a somewhat different route than they have, though. I'm one who's loved their style and their programs, but I'm also ready to see something other than classical/lyrical or Latin/ballroom.

We are coming up on August, when they've leaked program info over the past few seasons. I wouldn't be surprised to learn something vague in whatever press they do for All That Skate Summer -- maybe a hint as to the FD's genre or specific song title(s) for the SD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderblue View Post
    We are coming up on August, when they've leaked program info over the past few seasons. I wouldn't be surprised to learn something vague in whatever press they do for All That Skate Summer -- maybe a hint as to the FD's genre or specific song title(s) for the SD.
    But even we didnt know yet - will they skate next season or no, because Tessa said in interview they will made dissigion after some summer shows. Hope she feel good now.
    I wish they will use something power i hope this will be rock), with passionate, mature love, very sexuall dance, if D-W will skate something playfull and funny.

vCash
    I think they will compete next reason and it would be nice to see something with power. I'm not sure what a rock routine would look like though since I don't really listen to that genre of music.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    If Christopher Dean choreographed Crone/Poirier's FD of last season, I am sorry to say it but I was less than thrilled and it seems that program didn't have much of an impact on the judges either although Vaness and Paul are excellent skaters. With all due respect to legendary Dean.
    I don't know how new you are to skating but you might want to have a look at Anissina/Peizerat's Carmina Burana. That's a Dean choreography and in my opinion, it's one of the most powerful ones.
    Whether Dean is right for V/M I don't know. Not everyone is suited for a Dean choreography; I think he's an excellent and challenging choreographer but whether the choreography works or not depends entirely on the skaters he choreographs for. From what I've seen I'd say D/W are better suited to work with Dean due to their style than V/M but who knows

vCash
    Well V and M are versatile, so maybe they would be good with him.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast