Thread: Ina/Zimmerman

vCash

Ina/Zimmerman

I'm very curious how I/Z would have fared after the 2002 Olympic season had they continued competing. I understand that due to a problem with Kyoko Ina's doping test, she was sanctioned from competition for awhile, and the two did not compete on the amateur level again. Although it's true this happened awhile back and they did leave competition, I am still interested in how competition would have differed if they continued to skate.

During most of the 2001-2002 season, I/Z seemed well-positioned to place 4th at SLC, provided they skated cleanly. At the Olympics they finished 5th, with Totmianina/Marinin finishing 4th instead. At the 2002 Worlds, they finished 3rd with several major mistakes, ahead of an almost clean Petrova/Tikhonov.

Considering they were pretty close to T/M at the end of the 2002 season, it seems they have a good shot at reaching the top rankings and contending for Olympic gold in 2006. If they added a second set of triples and a more polished 'flair' to their skating, I think it could have been possible.

I'm also curious about how much potential Abitbol/Bernadis would have if they continued until 2006. I know they skipped the 2002 Olympics and Worlds due to an injury and performed poorly at the 2003 Worlds, before retiring. Do you think that their results would have changed if they were able to skate at the 2002 Olympics, and whether they have the potential for an Olympic gold or medal? They probably would have finished 7th in 2002 if they skated.

vCash
    I loved both teams mentioned.

I think I/Z would have won more medals at future Worlds. I think they should have won the bronze at SLC and the judges gave them the bronze at Worlds to make up for it! I am still upset that they retired, I think they had more potential, but it seemed like they were only ever going to skate for those 4 seasons no matter what happened.

Not sure about A/B... her injury seemed so bad and seemed to ruin her jumps. They had a fabulous FS that season though and were such a likeable team.
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    . I think I/Z would have won more medals at future Worlds. I think they should have won the bronze at SLC and the judges gave them the bronze at Worlds to make up for it! I am still upset that they retired, I think they had more potential, but it seemed like they were only ever going to skate for those 4 seasons no matter what happened.
    I don't think so as the up and coming Chinese teams and T/M were consistent and had the tricks, thereby easily bypassing I/Z who were never that consistent and their programs weren't as difficult.

vCash
    It's interesting that some people thought Ina/Zimmerman should have won bronze at SLC. I actually thought Petrova/Tikhonov were the most robbed - they skated a completely clean program with two sets of triples. Shen/Zhao did fall, but it was on a throw quad, and Hongbo had a band landing but it shouldn't be considered a major error. This is how I would have the results:

3. Shen/Zhao
    4. Petrova/Tikhonov
    5. Ina/Zimmerman
    6. Totmianina/Marinin (their freeskate presentation was way too mediocre)

I/Z may not have had the difficulty in 2002, but they would have had four years to progress. If P/T managed to stay competitive up until 2006, I'm sure I/Z could have as well.

vCash
    I think what clouds my judgment is that I/Z had my favorite choreography/performance that night.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shady82 View Post
    It's interesting that some people thought Ina/Zimmerman should have won bronze at SLC. I actually thought Petrova/Tikhonov were the most robbed - they skated a completely clean program with two sets of triples. Shen/Zhao did fall, but it was on a throw quad, and Hongbo had a band landing but it shouldn't be considered a major error. This is how I would have the results:

3. Shen/Zhao
    4. Petrova/Tikhonov
    5. Ina/Zimmerman

I/Z may not have had the difficulty in 2002, but they would have had four years to progress. If P/T managed to stay competitive up until 2006, I'm sure I/Z could have as well.
    I often thought P/T and the Siudeks were robbed because they skated clean performances and others did not (and ended up being placed ahead of them), but I guess those two teams were missing the excitement factor..

vCash
    The problem was, I thought T/M were lacking the most excitement flavor of all the top teams. I would still put the Siudeks 7th, since the overall quality of their skating was pretty inferior to the teams above them, and they were a bit overmarked in the short. Their program was also easier - they only did a throw double axel, for example.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shady82 View Post

3. Shen/Zhao
    4. Petrova/Tikhonov
    5. Ina/Zimmerman

The problem with P&T was that they only had a throw 3toe and a throw 3 salchow which IMHO put them at a deficit compared to the other teams who were doing the throw 3 loop. They were also very slow and had very plain choreography compared to the other teams. Some judges actually had them below the Suideks .