Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy L View Post
    Death Becomes Her! That movie is over 20 years old, and I think they still did the better effect...
    Yup! That is it!

vCash
    Saw Escape from L.A. tonight. Enjoyable. I am looking forward to next week epi, mostly because I want to see Owen kick some ass. (I was predicting Gwen father would be sent to the camps).

vCash
    Here's a fun interview from this morning with John Barrowman and Eve Myles talking about Torchwood, America and dougnuts
    http://www.itv.com/daybreak/entertai...and-eve-myles/

vCash
    Just saw last night's episode. Whoa. I had been getting kind of bored with this show, but they really stepped up their game last night. I had a good feeling when I saw that Jane Espenson was the writer.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicElle View Post
    Just saw last night's episode. Whoa. I had been getting kind of bored with this show, but they really stepped up their game last night. I had a good feeling when I saw that Jane Espenson was the writer.
    Well, there certainly was a lot more happening in Day 5 ... but unfortunately my lack of boredom stemmed more from me shouting "are you fracking kidding me?" at the TV than anything else.

So we're supposed to believe that a. Prior to Miracle Day, Gwen had to live in super secret seclusion in the middle of nowhere and never show her face, but now all she needs is a fake passport and she can waltz onto a flight back to Cardiff? Not to mention waltz into a top security facility with nothing more than a nurse's uniform?

And we're supposed to believe that b. The entire world not only agreed to the classification system for people, but had their facilities up and running in such a short period of time?? Originally this series was supposed to be one episode = 1 day, so this would be day 5; I think they've since backed away from that, but it's still a very, very short timeline.

If I didn't have the original 2 seasons to compare it to, I might be able to enjoy this more for goofy escapist fun. But it's impossible not to make the comparisons, and this new Starz version has steamrollered over all the subtlety, complexity, and wit that I loved about Torchwood Cardiff.

And while I'm ranting, can I just remind people that Jack is not homosexual, he's omnisexual. Not that there's anything wrong with that (apolgies to Jerry Seinfeld) if he is gay, but the beauty of how RTD treated his sexuality was that it was much more evolved than just a simple "gay" or "straight" -- Jack embraces the possibility of relationship and passion in every possible form, unrestricted by any convention, be it gender or species. They way the Starz writers have done it, he's barely more than a 2-dimensional stereotype. (Although to be fair, a bit of that is done to push Rex's buttons, and that's at least a little funny.)

So. I am still watching and will to the end of this series, but if the payoffs re: who's behind Phicorp and how exactly Jack fits into all of this are not really, really good, I will be seriously p!ssed off.

vCash
    Artemis, I hear you. That being said, I find more chemistry between Jack and Esther than I do Rex and Vera. I am actually hoping Jack screws her in the end. (Yikes, did I just type that?)

Actually, I think Jack is (inadvertently) behind this. He just does not know it yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Well, there certainly was a lot more happening in Day 5 ... but unfortunately my lack of boredom stemmed more from me shouting "are you fracking kidding me?" at the TV than anything else.

So we're supposed to believe that a. Prior to Miracle Day, Gwen had to live in super secret seclusion in the middle of nowhere and never show her face, but now all she needs is a fake passport and she can waltz onto a flight back to Cardiff? Not to mention waltz into a top security facility with nothing more than a nurse's uniform?
    Don't forget-she also made out with Rhys the MINUTE she saw him! C'mon!

And we're supposed to believe that b. The entire world not only agreed to the classification system for people, but had their facilities up and running in such a short period of time?? Originally this series was supposed to be one episode = 1 day, so this would be day 5; I think they've since backed away from that, but it's still a very, very short timeline.
    I took that as part of why things were so messed up at the overflow camp in CA. But yeah, that was still really quick turnaround.

If I didn't have the original 2 seasons to compare it to, I might be able to enjoy this more for goofy escapist fun. But it's impossible not to make the comparisons, and this new Starz version has steamrollered over all the subtlety, complexity, and wit that I loved about Torchwood Cardiff.
    Same! My friend and I had a long chat about this. It's not what I'd watch if I wanted to watch Torchwood. Apparently, if I want to watch Torchwood, I have 26 episodes from which to choose-the remaining 15 are a completely different show! Not saying that I have a problem with that-I just don't see this series as that series anymore.

And while I'm ranting, can I just remind people that Jack is not homosexual, he's omnisexual. Not that there's anything wrong with that (apolgies to Jerry Seinfeld) if he is gay, but the beauty of how RTD treated his sexuality was that it was much more evolved than just a simple "gay" or "straight" -- Jack embraces the possibility of relationship and passion in every possible form, unrestricted by any convention, be it gender or species. They way the Starz writers have done it, he's barely more than a 2-dimensional stereotype. (Although to be fair, a bit of that is done to push Rex's buttons, and that's at least a little funny.)

So. I am still watching and will to the end of this series, but if the payoffs re: who's behind Phicorp and how exactly Jack fits into all of this are not really, really good, I will be seriously p!ssed off.
    Amen. You've said everything I've felt about Jack this season.

Also, I read an article where John Barrowman said something like, "I don't think the fans are going to like the way Miracle Day ends..." Hearing quotes like that bugs me because a) what does that even mean? My mom took that to mean that

Spoiler

, but I don't think that's the case. I still don't know what that means and b) is that basically John Barrowman saying that Miracle Day is going to have a lousy payoff? Does he like the way the season goes? I'm beginning to think that the "new crew" (like Havins/Phifer/Pullman/Ambrose) probably sees this as an awesome new American series (to complement other shows we have here, like the CSIs and NCIS and Law and Order), but the old crew (Barrowman/Myles/Owen) may not be as thrilled with it.

Another side rant: WTF is with the lack of anything exciting for Rhys? He's always been a bit expendable, but they really managed to give him stuff to do during CoE. Why wasn't he deported with Gwen and Jack? Why is it that he was finally given an opportunity to kick some butt and Gwen had to fly back to Wales to join him in the butt-kicking? I was so excited for Rhys to get his moment, but it didn't materialize. If he doesn't go back to LA with Gwen (I haven't seen ep. 6 yet), I'm not sure when he'll have the chance.

vCash
    Have epi 6 aired yet?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missflick View Post
    Have epi 6 aired yet?
    Yup. Just watched it. I knew Jack had something to do with Miracle Day. (If not directly).

vCash
    Yup. Just watched it. I knew Jack had something to do with Miracle Day. (If not directly).
    I watched it, too. This was my favorite episode of the season (so far!).

vCash
    I enjoyed the latest episode even though everyone seemed to be taking turns passing around the Idiot Ball.

Spoiler

As to what Barrowman meant about people not liking the end of Miracle Day, I'm guessing it's one of two things: either the miracle's undone in the last episode and people who should have been dead will die (so long Rex and Oswald), or it's going to end on a cliffhanger with nothing really resolved. I'll bet it's the second one.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicElle View Post
    As to what Barrowman meant about people not liking the end of Miracle Day, I'm guessing it's one of two things: either the miracle's undone in the last episode and people who should have been dead will die (so long Rex and Oswald), or it's going to end on a cliffhanger with nothing really resolved. I'll bet it's the second one.
    I'm betting (hoping) that it will be more the 1st and less of the 2nd. I can't imagine them dragging this ridiculous plotline out past the 10 episodes (wishful thinkin? perhaps). A cliffhanger ending in some other way is possible I guess, but I do think there will be a resolution of the "miracle." I actually think that the "not liking the ending" will mean that the payoff is entirely unsatisfactory after the buildup.

Oswald's presence & role is already date-stamped, I don't see his usefulness extending beyond this run. As for Rex ... well, although he was starting to grow on me, his complete idiocy in episode 6 leaves me thinking that if he dies in the end, I won't shed a tear.

Honestly, I really hope Torchwood US ends with this 10 episode season. It's tarnishing the good name of Torchwood. As a separate, schlocky scifi-ish adventure, it's ok, and has its moments. But it doesn't belong in the Whoniverse.

Y'know, it hit me while watching episode 6 what this series reminds me of: FlashForward. Another series that had some interesting ideas about how quickly society changes in the face of something inexplicable -- but the "you have no idea how far this conspiracy extends" payoff was laugable and insulting to the audience. Tho in that show at least the writing was better and the characters' behaviours were believable.

vCash
    I'm betting (hoping) that it will be more the 1st and less of the 2nd. I can't imagine them dragging this ridiculous plotline out past the 10 episodes (wishful thinkin? perhaps). A cliffhanger ending in some other way is possible I guess, but I do think there will be a resolution of the "miracle." I actually think that the "not liking the ending" will mean that the payoff is entirely unsatisfactory after the buildup.
    Agreed. My mom, on the other hand, is beyond certain that Jack's about to be killed off (I disagree!).

Oswald's presence & role is already date-stamped, I don't see his usefulness extending beyond this run. As for Rex ... well, although he was starting to grow on me, his complete idiocy in episode 6 leaves me thinking that if he dies in the end, I won't shed a tear.

Honestly, I really hope Torchwood US ends with this 10 episode season. It's tarnishing the good name of Torchwood. As a separate, schlocky scifi-ish adventure, it's ok, and has its moments. But it doesn't belong in the Whoniverse.
    I think it would be interesting if Oswald didn't die-didn't get the relief he wanted...but, of course, he will die. And I'm pretty sure Rex is going to die, too. I would actually be a bit surprised if Esther survived.

I don't want Torchwood to end, and if the US version ends, I think the series would be ending completely (because there's some kind of 7 YEAR contract between Starz and the BBC). I just want a return to seasons one and two-in my opinion, the two best seasons-and a return to more aliens and less gore.

vCash
    If they kill off jack, they kill Torchwood. They can't kill the face of Boe !!!
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Somewhat OT but ... I watched an episode of Hotel Babylon last night where John Barrowman was a guest star. And it reminded me of how hilarious he can be when given the right material. Everything he hasn't had in Miracle Day.

My favourite scene here. "The tits stay in the picture!"

vCash
    Episode 7 = finally! This was by far the best episode yet. Primarily because it was almost entirely Jack & Gwen, who really are the only characters worth the name of Torchwood IMO. Their scenes in the car really rang true to how these characters have developed.

Then there was the backstoryline for Jack -- always interesting, and great insight into his character and his history. And some impressive imagery too.

And of course the nude scenes didn't hurt!

It will be very interesting to see how Angelo has engineered the miracle, if in fact he is behind it. I'm assuming it has something to do with Jack's blood -- and the 3 men who "bought" Jack.

vCash
    I've been disappointed in this season. I think the writing's rather terrible, the production values suck (I mean, those camps. Please.), people are being very stupid and things don't make a lot of sense.

I know that a lot of people don't like Children of Earth, but I thought that the quality of the writing, the production and the acting were the best in the show's history.

This past episode was the first one approaching that level. And it was because it focused on Jack and Gwen.

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    Episode 7 = finally! This was by far the best episode yet. Primarily because it was almost entirely Jack & Gwen, who really are the only characters worth the name of Torchwood IMO. Their scenes in the car really rang true to how these characters have developed.
    My thoughts exactly. Jack has pretty much been sidelined for a lot of the previous episodes, so finally having one that revolved around him reminded me of what had been missing from previous episodes.

And Gwen really, really, really annoyed me. Which meant that everything was as it should be.

Okay, it didn't advance the story terribly much, but it was a lot more enjoyable!
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    I am having fun wondering what Star Trek actor will show up next. Nana Visitor, John Lancie...

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    I am having fun wondering what Star Trek actor will show up next. Nana Visitor, John Lancie...
    I didn't recognise Nana Visitor at first (but then I was never a huge fan of Deep Space 9), and I'm pretty sure they just told John De Lancie to play his role as Q.

Perhaps that's the answer - Miracle Day was created by the Q Continuum.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast