Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

vCash
    I stumbled upon the new series this weekend. I watched that last half hour or so and was shocked at the bad acting from Mekhi Phifer. Which is weird because I liked him in ER. Did anyone else think he was just awful?
    Creating drama!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    I stumbled upon the new series this weekend. I watched that last half hour or so and was shocked at the bad acting from Mekhi Phifer. Which is weird because I liked him in ER. Did anyone else think he was just awful?
    I didn't think it was bad acting, but rather bad writing. I was not too impressed with how they wrote the new characters, esp. the Mekhi Phifer character and CIA-chick-given-RETCON. (Tho Bill Pullman's character was pretty great.) But it's early days.

"It's early days" is really what I'm telling myself in general here. I knew it was going to be a 10-ep arch and would have to introduce a lot of new characters & plotpoints so would probably start slow, but even so I was not blown away by the first episode. Except for being "blown away" by the heavy artillery -- really, was that necessary? Helicopter chases and rocket launchers are not why I love the Whoniverse. Thank goodness for the old-school Torchwood one-liners, that saved it.

And the CIA has the power to second Jack and Gwen? WTF? That whole "456" business better be resolved/explained in some satisfactory way or I will really, really resent the whole Americanization of the series. I know, I know, if Starz hadn't picked it up we wouldn't have any more Torchwood at all, but I didn't watch the old version just because it was an available scifi series, I watched because it was really, really good. And new one ... so far, not so much.

But I am keeping an open mind and am trying to be optimistic that it will get better. The best bits for me were 1. Gwen stopping to put the little ear muffs on Anwyn before going all Rambo with her guns and 2. the interesting twist with Jack being moral -- lots of scope for plot points there (and obviously it will be reverse in the end once they reverse the immortality of the rest of the human race).

vCash
    Just watched it. Loved it! The first 20 minutes were a bit blah, but then I got into it.

I had no probs with MP's acting. I liked everybody.

Well, in a way, it is okay if Jack Harkness becomes mortal. After all, John Barrowman is showing his age, IMO. (But still handsome). They can get someone else to do the Face of Bo.

On that note, I kind of figured that if everyone on earth was becoming (sort of) immortal, than it stood to reason that Jack Harkness was somehow behind it (even inadvertently).

vCash
    I hope so !!
    But thank you american chanel then

Captain Jack. Yummie.
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Just saw episode 2. I thought it was better than episode 1. The new TW team is coming together.

I really liked the whole idea that people are still aging, even though they aren't dying. Really speaks to the whole Face of Boe thing. Also, very cool about the antibiotics.

Pullman continues to knock it out of the park. Barrowman is going to really have to step up his game when he and Pullman share the screen or he's going to get knocked off the screen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post

Pullman continues to knock it out of the park. Barrowman is going to really have to step up his game when he and Pullman share the screen or he's going to get knocked off the screen.
    My husband said that so far, the most subdued character in the show is ... Captain Jack. He's right, and it's strange.

I liked last night's episode too. It's funny -- after being either indifferent to Gwen or actively annoyed by her for the first three seasons, I'm liking her this time around.

Spoiler

"Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicElle View Post
    My husband said that so far, the most subdued character in the show is ... Captain Jack. He's right, and it's strange.
    I hadn't thought about that, but that's quite true.

Gwen was annoying me again in last night's episode, but I thought on the whole it was better than the first one. I can now see why some people are saying it's looking more like an American show than a British one. Which doesn't mean that's a bad thing, it's just a change.

The story is definitely getting more intriguing.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    I thought the 2nd episode was really good. I liked Mekhi Phifer much better in this episode. Gwen started annoying me again. I think she needs Rhys around for me to find her tolerable. I really like the Doctor character, can't remember her name.
    And Lauren Ambrose looks lovely. Bill Pullman continues to creep me out.

vCash
    I am still waiting for Space to air the episode online. Grr. It should be up by now.

vCash
    Two years iatus has been great IMO.
    Now that I've been over all the losses in Children of Earth, I can start trying to enjoy this new version.

I'm so glad that Jack and Gwen are back. I'm trying not to get too fond of anyone, it's Torchwood, you know they'll die eventually right ?
    I love Gwen and Rhys's baby !

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicElle View Post
    Maybe it's his mortality that's affecting his character?

Anyway, I too enjoyed the 2nd episode more than the first -- though they still have a long way to go to bring the show up to its former glory, imo. The scenes at the CIA were the weakest. I'm sorry, but I just can't buy "Newman" as a CIA boss -- good or evil. He just doesn't have the acting chops to pull off the subtlety required there. That was a bad casting choice IMO.

The making chelation from stuff found on an airplane was highly preposterous ... yet it somehow worked. And I too am enjoying the doctor character. And I'm interested in seeing how the Lauren Ambrose character will fit into all of this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I'm sorry, but I just can't buy "Newman" as a CIA boss -- good or evil. He just doesn't have the acting chops to pull off the subtlety required there. That was a bad casting choice IMO.
    I agree ... I know it's not fair to that actor, but I'm never going to see him and not think "Hello, Newman." He's just distracting.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    Had no issues with any actor. Just got to see Rendition tonight. Space finally loaded it Tuesday. Enjoyed it immensely. When I saw the actress with the head turned around, there was a Meryl Streep movie that came to mind...had Bruce Willis in it...

Okay one complaint, I suppose. Gay/straight/bi are no big deal on a purely British version of Torchwood. Not even mentioned. I am irritated a bit that it is here. (The guy who is gay, denied it, Gwen has to point it out, which is something she doesn't normally do..etc.)
    Last edited by missflick; 07-21-2011 at 11:40 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missflick View Post
    Had no issues with any actor. Just got to see Rendition tonight. Space finally loaded it Tuesday. Enjoyed it immensely. When I saw the actress with the head turned around, there was a Meryl Streep movie that came to mind...had Bruce Willis in it...
    Death Becomes Her! That movie is over 20 years old, and I think they still did the better effect...

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    So the plot thickened nicely in episode 3.

Spoiler

The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    I've always found Bill Pullman about as interesting as plain nonfat yogurt, so he's been a really pleasant surprise in this show. Oswald is the most interesting character to me so far.

vCash
    I'll go against the grain and say that Gwen's my favorite character.

I'm liking the show. Not as much as Children of Earth, but it's OK.

vCash
    I'm starting to like it. But I miss the english ways.

vCash
    This is the first season of Torchwood that I've watched in "live time". For the first 3 series, I had to wait for the DVD sets. When I'm watching the Miracle Day episodes, I find them interesting enough, but then later on I decide they're all kinda forgettable. Previously I've mainlined the DVDs, and I loved them all. But watching one episode and then waiting a week for the next just isn't as exciting. For example, I waited until this morning to watch episode 3. I wasn't online first thing Saturday morning looking for a download. I decided that Monday would be a more convenient time to watch and I waited. That is such an ungeeky thing for me to do, I'm surprising myself!

vCash
    Poor Jack. He's lost his mojo. He is definitely having an identity crisis now that he's no longer immortal. Can't wait to see him get it back.

The scene between Jack and Oswald was riveting. I wonder if we will find out (in the context of this show) what Jack did to his grandson.

Yes - the plot is thickening nicely.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast