Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    Yes, they can, but its totally pointless IMO.
    Well, there's the prize money and the ISU points.

And they could use more chances to get that 4sal throw properly ratified.

vCash
    Well I know the national politics are against them but I really hope they kick Zhangs' ass.

And I expect them to be beating P/T on the TES, at least.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Well I know the national politics are against them but I really hope they kick Zhangs' ass.

And I expect them to be beating P/T on the TES, at least.
    Well, P and T are working on a quad sal as well, and both teams (P/T and S/H) suck at SBS jumps.

vCash
    http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2011-08-...15696131.shtml

PT announced on Aug. 8th that they won't compete the GPs.They'll only participate the nation games and the Worlds.
    Their SP will be "Paso",a Paso Doble pro with music from a film OST.

vCash
    Well, I'm glad they announced it early, that way other teams can prepare to receive another spot.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Well, I'm glad they announced it early, that way other teams can prepare to receive another spot.
    I agree, I'm still sad though

vCash
    Booh!! Sad about Pand & Tong.. This means Sui&Han will get COC most definetly though.

vCash
    well,I think it's good for them.They're not young any more,and they have some old injuries.They should have a rest if they want to continue...
    in other articals,PT said they're very tired last year for so many competitions after the Olympics.they don't have time to rest,or polish the programs.They want to have a rest,learn new things,make the new programs better,then come back to the competitions.I think it's a wise choice.

vCash
    Does anyone know how many of the young Chinese pair teams are eligable for the Youth Olympics in January? They have two spots but I wonder who will be filling the spots

vCash
    Zhang/Wang will not attend CoC due to her recent injury:
    http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1174917780

So now China has two host picks open for CoC, and Yao Bin said they will be given to "more junior teams." I was worried that with P/T withdrawing, Yao Bin would've given the spot to Dong/Wu instead, despite Sui/Han having much more talent and better results, with the excuse that S/H are already doing JGP's (D/W are Yao's students, while S/H are Luan's students; Luan is Yao's former partner and rival pairs coach).

Now with Z/W also withdrawing, I think they will give S/H and D/W each a spot, since the next 3 or 4 pairs in National standing are all Luan's students. I hope this also means that they will let S/H out of having to compete in JGP again -- there's nothing in it for them, except for Chinese federation politics.

I mean, ideally the second spot should go to Yu/Jin instead, who were JGPF bronze medalists last season, Chinese Nationals silver medalists behind Sui/Han, and had a SB of 141 at the junior level. Dong/Wu were only 4th at Nationals, with a SB of 137 at the senior level. But I'm afraid the politics do not favor Yu/Jin right now. I'll be content if at least S/H won't be passed over for a CoC slot, because they have a decent chance of getting into GPF again. And after all, Yu/Jin don't really have a chance for getting into GPF, and one more season on the JGP could be good for them. They can definitely work on their PCS and maturity, as well as basic skating skills. Besides, perhaps they will get into Grophee Bompard as alternates...

vCash
    Sui/Han have an interesting exhibition piece for the new season that they just performed at a show in Korea:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKVQcj61Nc8

They are looking really good for the new season! Seem already improved from last season. Can't wait for the new competitive season to begin!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Once Zhang/Wang are withdrawn officially, the alternates list is:

Denney/Coughlin
    Sui/Han
    Lawrence/Swiegers
    Gerboldt/Enbert
    Castelli/Shnapir
    Stolbova/Klimov
    Marley/Brubaker
    Kadlecova/Bidar
    Dong/Wu

Once they each get one (a second for all but D/C), the federations can choose from the top three of:

Yu/Jin
    Cain/Regan
    Steele/Schultz
    Purich/Schultz
    Jones/Gaskell

winners of the six Fall senior B's, if they're not already on the list.

Pang/Tong's and Zhang/Wang's CoC spots revert to TBD. P/T's NHK spot should be assigned to Denney/Coughlin.

That leaves Sui/Han as the next alternate on the list and the first ones eligible for a second spot (except for SC). I don't know why the Chinese Federation would use a TBD when Sui/Han are pretty much guaranteed another GP spot, regardless of the politics. The Jr. Grand Prix is over, except for the Final, before the Grand Prix starts, so there would be no scheduling conflict. Plus, they like Yu/Jin will be competing just outside of Toronto the week before.

The Chinese Fed, which pays travel expenses for CoC, could spring for the Air Canada/China direct flight from Toronto to Shanghai if they want to assign either of their SC pairs to CoC, but Yu/Jin are much less likely to get a second GP spot from the alternates list, since they're currently 10th on it, and it would be possible for the host federations to skip them and choose another team from the top 3.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    well,maybe they're afraid S/H may do better in GS series and GPF than Z/Z,as ZZ are still have some injures and far from their best yet,then it's difficult to deside the Worlds team~

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    By the rules, S/H get the next opening, although not the TBD's for CoC. Of course, the Fed can lose their visa paperwork or withdraw them for any reason they want, if they really want to block S/H from their second or even their first senior GP.

By withdrawing Pang/Tong made getting to the GPF easier for everyone, except maybe S/S and V/T.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luCN View Post
    well,maybe they're afraid S/H may do better in GS series and GPF than Z/Z,as ZZ are still have some injures and far from their best yet,then it's difficult to deside the Worlds team~
    I think they might also be afraid of S/H garnering too much popularity at home by competing and doing well at CoC, possibly beating Z/Z along the way -- leading to a public outcry of not sending them to Worlds.

Also, their expressiveness and energy could make Z/Z look especially wooden and uninteresting by comparison. (Although personally I'd love to see Z/Z doing well, and hope sincerely that a year off ice has done them good in maturing in the presentation department.)

If P/T are still competing, then unless Z/Z totally bomb the GP's, I cannot see Yao Bin sending S/H over Z/Z no matter how much better they do in competition. Sad, but true.

Let me translate the whole article. Yao Bin pointedly forgets to mention S/H altogether. Not to mention that S/H have done way better than Z/W already, and yet he suggests Z/W are candidates for #4 (after S/Z, P/T, and Z/Z) while neglecting to mention S/H.

There were rumors earlier in the summer that S/H were going to get two GP's, but the Chinese federation specifically requested them to get only one, because it intended to send them to the JGP's again. If it is not a hard block, it is at least a soft hindrance -- instead of nurturing and promoting the most promising junior pair China has had in many years (maybe ever! Even Shen/Zhao were not doing this well at this age).
    Last edited by feraina; 08-15-2011 at 08:23 PM.

vCash
    Just as the 2011-2012 Figure Skating Season about to begin, pairs new star Yue Zhang will not be able to compete the entire season, due to an Achille's tendon injury.

According to the National Figure Skating Team Coach Bing Yao, Zhang was hurt in practice last week, "There was a rupture to her left knee cruciate ligament, she plans on checking into the hospital and having the surgery tomorrow. It takes about 100 days to recover, probably this young pair will not be able to compete this season!"

Zhang and partner Lei Wang are a new promising pair rising through the ranks in recent years, and strong candidates to be #4 in the country. "They were training well a while ago, including technique and difficulty, and the new program is well choreographed too. But all of a sudden, they were injured," said Yao with a sigh.

If not for this unexpected twist, Zhang and Wang would have participated in the season-opening national competition in Chang Cun September 20-23 -- National Figure Skating Championship, also the qualifying competition for the 12th National Winter Games Figure Skating event. Internationally, their first competition would have been Grand Prix Cup of China in Shanghai on November 4-6.

Before the Turin Olympics, famous pairs athlete Hongbo Zhao also encountered injured Achille's tendon. But armed with steely will and a fighter's spirit, he made an extraordinary return to the ice after only half a year, attaining a bronze medal with Xue Shen in the Winter Olympics. Yao said, "Yue Zhang is still young, she can definitely return to competition next season if she is determined herself."

According to the Cup of China roster published by the ISU in June, besides Zhang/Wang, another top Chinese pair, silver medalists at the Vancouver Olympics, Pang/Tong were also scheduled to compete in Cup of China. However, recent rumors suggested that Pang/Tong will give up on all Grand Prix event this season, in order to have a rest.

"It is true that #2 (Pang/Tong) will really not participate in the Grand Prix competitions this season, but next March they will still attend the World Championship," said Yao. Reducing the number of competition and focusing on rest and recover is Pang and Tong's own idea, "The team respects their choice, after all they are not so young anymore, year after year of intense competition and training are understandably exhausting."

Yao indicated that the two open slots at Cup of China will be given to younger team members.
    Last edited by feraina; 08-15-2011 at 08:21 PM.

vCash
    ^Thanks for the update. That is to bad about Zhue's injury. Wishing a speedy recovery.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Yao Bin pointedly forgets to mention S/H altogether.
    I'm curious why you think Yao Bin needs to mention other skaters he doesn't coach? Other coaches don't do that.

I'm also curious why you think Z/Z (or others) are so afraid of S/H? S/H personal best scores are no where near what that Zhangs where getting before he got injured (Worlds 2010) so the chances of them beating them this season are highly unlikely especially if you have seen both of their skating so far this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I'm curious why you think Yao Bin needs to mention other skaters he doesn't coach? Other coaches don't do that.
    Yao Bin is not only a coach, he is the head of the Chinese National Team. Sui/Han belong to the National Team just as the other pairs do. He wasn't just speaking on behalf of his own personal students in that interview, he was speaking on behalf of the entire team. In terms of the power structure, he is certainly the most powerful person in China to decide international assignments for pairs.

I'm also curious why you think Z/Z (or others) are so afraid of S/H?
    Well, for sure Z/W and D/W have a lot to fear from S/H. They have been on the scene for several years now without attaining any success/name for themselves, while S/H stirred excitement in their first year of JGP eligibility and have risen through the international ranks very quickly.

S/H personal best scores are no where near what that Zhangs where getting before he got injured (Worlds 2010) so the chances of them beating them this season are highly unlikely especially if you have seen both of their skating so far this season.
    I have seen some fuzzy videos of their exhibitions this summer, and while they seem more connected to each other and to the audience in these shows, I have not seen how much of their former technical capability they have recovered, and we also do not know how much their new found "expression" will hold up in a stressful, competitive environment.

I'm not saying that S/H will definitely beat them in competition, but I do think S/H present the biggest, and a credible, threat. An opinion poll last season in FSU actually had S/H slightly ahead of Z/Z in Chinese pairs ranking.

The most worrying thing for Z/Z is that personal development-wise and results-wise, they were regressing even before his injury. As the reigning Olympics silver medalists, Worlds silver medalists, GPF silver medalists, and many consistent gold medals on the GP's, they got only 2nd & 3rd in GP's, last place in GPF, 5th in the Olympics, and 5th at Worlds. They were on a very clear and serious decline before last season.

What is especially worrying is that the decline happened while they retained most of their technical capability. The judges just dropped them on the PCS side.

Maybe this injury was a blessing in disguise, because it stopped the slide in competitive results, and maybe provided them a chance to work on skating and presentation skills. It is certainly a great opportunity for them to come back with a fresh, more mature look. But their challenges are great -- they have a lot to prove.

S/H have their obvious flaws, but the judges loved them the last two seasons. There is a lot of excitement surrounding them, and they clearly have momentum behind them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Yao Bin is not only a coach, he is the head of the Chinese National Team. Sui/Han belong to the National Team just as the other pairs do. He wasn't just speaking on behalf of his own personal students in that interview, he was speaking on behalf of the entire team. In terms of the power structure, he is certainly the most powerful person in China to decide international assignments for pairs.
    Are you sure he was speaking as the head of the national team and not just the head coach of his skaters? It wasn't clearly defined and he surely isn't obligated. It's not like they are not skating anywhere.

Well, for sure Z/W and D/W have a lot to fear from S/H. They have been on the scene for several years now without attaining any success/name for themselves, while S/H stirred excitement in their first year of JGP eligibility and have risen through the international ranks very quickly.
    That's not what I asked. I asked about the Zhangs.

I have seen some fuzzy videos of their exhibitions this summer, and while they seem more connected to each other and to the audience in these shows, I have not seen how much of their former technical capability they have recovered, and we also do not know how much their new found "expression" will hold up in a stressful, competitive environment.
    I think they can deal with stress far better than S/H can, they are 3 time Olympians (and Olympic Silver Medalists) and 4 time world Medalists.

I'm not saying that S/H will definitely beat them in competition, but I do think S/H present the biggest, and a credible, threat. An opinion poll last season in FSU actually had S/H slightly ahead of Z/Z in Chinese pairs ranking.
    The biggest threat for Z/Z in the GP is from S/S and possible B/L at Skate America and K/S in China and S/S, B/L, K/S and V/T in the GPF.

The most worrying thing for Z/Z is that personal development-wise and results-wise, they were regressing even before his injury. As the reigning Olympics silver medalists, Worlds silver medalists, GPF silver medalists, and many consistent gold medals on the GP's, they got only 2nd & 3rd in GP's, last place in GPF, 5th in the Olympics, and 5th at Worlds. They were on a very clear and serious decline before last season.
    P/T also got 4th in 2009 at worlds but that didn't stop them from winning an OSM almost winning an OGM and one month later winning a world title. S/S had a great season in 2008-2009 but a not so great season in 2009-2010. How did they do this year? Pretty well I'd say. The only thing holding him back is a finger injury, that can happen to anyone, what's bad about his, is that he can re-injure his and he's out for good.

What is especially worrying is that the decline happened while they retained most of their technical capability. The judges just dropped them on the PCS side.
    The judges didn't drop them, they dropped themselves, there is a big difference. Better choreography may make all the difference in the world for them.

S/H have their obvious flaws, but the judges loved them the last two seasons. There is a lot of excitement surrounding them, and they clearly have momentum behind them.
    The judges noticed them more last season because they were more prominent in the absence of better teams like Zhang and Zhang, Kavaguti and Smirnov, Volosozhar and Morozov, Mukhortova and Trankov, Dube and Davison, Langlois and Hay etc....The judges didn't "love" them anymore than they would have than the other teams that were competing, they just would have scored them on the junior level instead of the senior level.

I think everyone is waiting to see if she'll grow.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast