Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Chinese skating news & skater updates

So I figured it was time to have a general news thread for Chinese skaters, too.

Pj Kwong's interview (part 1) with Dan Zhang and Hao Zhang in Toronto.

Reposting from 6/19/11 (info on Pang/Tong's new FS):
    Quote Originally Posted by xy3026rosa View Post
    They have completed a new season long program scheduling, the use of the track is quite Arabian classic "Arabian Nights." In last night's show in cross-border, though not the interpretation of the two "Arabian Nights", but they can feel the floor or how many different variations of the new season style.Tong Jian, told reporters that he and Pang fresh performances in all competitions last season, all will be the performance of Pang Qing art based.Because Pang Qing now performing very well in all pairs of combinations showed the woman, Pang Qing is the best. The director [choreographer Lori Nichol] also said that we must take the greatest strengths of Pang Qing manifested through the choreography reflects her ability strengthen her performances. "Tong Jian said.
    "She is the princess, her charm completely conquered me, and I was fascinated by her confused my performance style all year, on a similar completely bowed to the Pang Qing's good graces, her temperament is very, very confused feeling. "Tong Jian said, despite the "Arabian Nights" This track has many times before by other pairs players used, but the different temperaments and characteristics of people will use a completely different style, their own and do not worry about completely Pang Qing judges and the audience will not accept.
    In many of the audience's minds, Pang Qing / Tong Jian in the past style of performance has been very soft and poetic, but this time select the "Arabian Nights" has style to make a great breakthrough, Pang Qing, admits on their own make a very big challenge, "I told Tong Jian had never been two Arab-style show of this, so for us the difficulty is still very large, but our director told us we must be in the race to judges and the audience have that feeling of surprise, the program's effect will make everyone feel themselves. "
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-07-2011 at 12:58 AM.

vCash
    Pj Kwong's interview (part 2) with Dan Zhang and Hao Zhang in Toronto.
    Re. his injury:
    It has been a rough 10 months for the pair who were basically sidelined due to injury last fall. Through Mr Huang [translator], Hao tells me that during the course of a lift they fell and he basically smashed everything contained in his right hand's middle finger.
    Back on the ice in earnest since mid-March it was another month before they attempted any lifts. Hao says his finger is still only at about 70% but continues to improve and he is optimistic that it will eventually be back to 100%. He showed me the effort that it takes to completely close his right hand into a fist. I wonder how he is managing especially with the lits: "I find the lasso lift very difficult. When I am on the ice it doesn't matter what I am doing, I have to pay attention and take care that I protect my finger."

vCash
    I'll say that I'm really excited to see what Zijun Li does next year on the JGP. I really love her style of skating. She's lyrical and uses her arms wonderfully throughout her programs. She's decent technically and has really lovely spins as well. She finished 3rd and 4th at her two JGP events and came in 3rd at the JGPF, and 9th at jr. worlds. Zijun was overshadowed by the Russian Big 3 last year (Adelina, Liza T, Polina S.) but with those ladies out of the picture this year, she has a chance to move up a bit in the standings. It'd be nice to see China with another top female skater. I don't think there's been one since Chen Lu...

vCash
    I'm excited out Zhang and Zhang! I can't believe that they're actually putting emotion and personality into their performance!!

vCash
    On the phone, Lori had already told me what the skaters were doing was "pretty special" and that these two were capable of a huge range of expression. Dan says enthusiastically; "We are excited for our new style. It is for us, the fans and the judges and could not have happened without Lori's great choreography."

If this is how they look with, in their words, "a long time with no practice" , I am excited to think about what the pairs competition will look like in the coming season. With new faces like Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov and "new faces" like Zhang and Zhang - it's going to be a great season!
    Very excited but somewhat skeptical, she was their choreographer before, I wonder what she did that was so different this time that she couldn't do before? I wonder when he will be 100%, his injury still sounds pretty bad?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Very excited but somewhat skeptical, she was their choreographer before, I wonder what she did that was so different this time that she couldn't do before? I wonder when he will be 100%, his injury still sounds pretty bad?
    Maybe they're just naturally growing up? Remember back in 2006 when Pang and Tong had no artistry whatsoever? They didn't really use the music. But now, they have improved and are artistic.

vCash
    Article on Han YAN (he plans to return to the JGP this fall): http://www.goldenskate.com/2011/07/h...-skating-star/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-31-2011 at 11:02 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Maybe they're just naturally growing up? Remember back in 2006 when Pang and Tong had no artistry whatsoever? They didn't really use the music. But now, they have improved and are artistic.
    I don't agree with this - P/T have always been more expressive than Z/Z, except maybe at the outset of their international recognition (say, 2002.) I think it would be difficult for anyone to say that P/T's 2004 long had no artistry or musicality - it's still my favorite program by them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgeLH5nrq9s - her positions are still a lot worse than his at this point, but I still think the innate musicality is there.
    Last edited by ainouta; 08-01-2011 at 05:01 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Article on Han YAN (he plans to return to the JGP this fall): http://www.goldenskate.com/2011/07/h...-skating-star/
    Thanks for sharing this, good interview.

I really like Han Yan, he stands out from other Chinese skaters by having surprisingly good basics.

And he sounds extremely driven.

I hope he has a lot of success this season.

vCash
    Han Yan lands a triple Axel in this Chinese domestic competition video (uploaded in April 2011): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eawOha7F66M

Could this be from the 2011 Chinese National Figure Skating Cup, April 6-8, anyone know? http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78344

ETA:
    This video was uploaded 3 weeks ago and shows Zijun Li training a 3F+3T and 3Lz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vQKYGGc6Xo
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-01-2011 at 03:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Han Yan lands a triple Axel in this Chinese domestic competition video (uploaded in April 2011): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eawOha7F66M
    So huge! Really impressive.

vCash
    Han Yan has got so much promise! His skating skills are definitely very impressive I just love the way he flies into his jumps at top speed. They have stunning height and ice coverage when he does them properly. Abandon and precision all at once! The jumps he did at the LP at Jr. Worlds especially were of such great quality. Can't wait to how he'll do on the JGP this season!
    Last edited by shine; 08-02-2011 at 02:14 PM.

vCash
    I hope he can keep his flexibility. That Y spin was amazing!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I'll say that I'm really excited to see what Zijun Li does next year on the JGP. I really love her style of skating. She's lyrical and uses her arms wonderfully throughout her programs. She's decent technically and has really lovely spins as well. She finished 3rd and 4th at her two JGP events and came in 3rd at the JGPF, and 9th at jr. worlds.
    Li skated a show version of her short program in "Artistry on Ice" last month: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92zP8kHCTyM
    She is assigned to the first JGP in Riga, Latvia.

Li's teammates in Latvia will be Jiaxing LIU and He ZHANG (men) and 3 pair teams -- Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN CHN, Xiaoyu YU / Yang JIN CHN, and Meiyi LI / Bo JIANG (their JGP debut, I believe).

vCash
    Thanks for the videos Sylvia!

That 3-3 looks really good! I'm excited for her!

I'm not too sold on her SP yet, but I'm sure I'll get a better feel for it when the season starts. I really wish Icenetwork would add JGP coverage to their site. I hate that the only thing they cover is the JGPF...still, I'm happy for Li and can't wait to see how she does this season.

vCash
    So Sui & Han are doing JGP AGAIN after winning Jr. Worlds two times.. *sighs*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    So Sui & Han are doing JGP AGAIN after winning Jr. Worlds two times.. *sighs*
    And winning JGPF in the preceding season and placing 3rd in the GPF last season.

vCash
    With China having only 2 spots at Worlds and P&T and Z&Z staying around, they probably are only aiming to go to Jr Worlds anyway.

(Didn't they go to both JGP and GP last season? Can't they do the same this time?)

vCash
    Yes, they can, but its totally pointless IMO. They need to improve by competing with much tougher fields. And i don't think the world spot is out of the question, they could beat one of the veteran teams at 4CC (they shoul've beat P&T at COC last year as much as it pains me to say it). The politicking of Bin Yao is a big card against them though.

vCash
    S/H should get another GP spot and even if they happen to make it to the GPF, a medal is out of reach this year. They only got one last year due to the unfortunate injuries and withdraws of many of the top teams, including the Zhangs. They have a long way go before their scores compare to what P/T and the Zhangs have received. They should take advantage of the junior competitions as long as they can, and do the senior competitions where they are able.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast