Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Happily succumbing to the FSU productivity virus.
    vCash
    Sucks. The dancers have lost opportunities. The choreographers have lost opportunities.

The Canadian show didn't have the production values (costumes particularly) that the US show did but they did half decently overall in the packaging and I was happy that the choreographers were not skimped on. The only comparable thing I can think of is how Eureka was recently cancelled. It was doing well, but the profit margin wasn't there since it was pretty costly even with the high viewership.

Sucks.

I could dream that with all the comments in the toronto.com article that it is such an important platform for the dance community in Canada that it would be subsidized enough and could survive on the CBC but I guess I'm only dreaming.

Sucks.
    Last edited by DustPuppyOI; 09-14-2011 at 04:12 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DustPuppyOI View Post
    could survive on the CBC
    I hadn't even considered that option.

It'll never happen.

---

ETA: CTV also canceled the terrible Corner Gas Alumni shows. That surprises but doesn't disappoint me.

vCash
    Another question is what prime-time domestic content CTV now has in development ready for the coming year in order to replace the 3 CANCON hours vacated by SYTYCDC, Dan for Mayor and Hiccups...can they easily find something that will get them 800,000-1,000,000 weekly?

vCash
    I am upset by this cancellation of SYTYCDC, but not surprised. All the good shows with some quality content are going in favor of ultra low cost series without the need for script writers, actors/performers, costume dept's, etc., etc.. It may be that a lot of folks watched SYTYCDC but perhaps did not bother to vote, so PTB decided it was not worth the return on the money to keep it going here at home, esp when they can simply air the Yankee version for that segment of the viewing public who enjoy dance programs and for far fewer $.

It makes me cry for all the great CDN talent who now have lost yet another showcase for their skills. It makes me angry, that we must lose all our talented performers and creative types to the USA, or Europe, mostly because there is no way for them to earn a living at home with dumb decisions like this.

1st Canadian Idol bit the dust, now SYTYCDC, next it will be BOTHB, wait and see how it will mutate to a USA driven show, if indeed it survives at all. All I can say is, people have to vote to show their support for these home grown types of shows. It's not enough to watch, or record them. Advertisor's paying for the show want people to see their products, and they likely associate votes, with number of people watching in real time to see product placement, hence marketing types need folks to watch in real time to justify advertising dollars spent. If people don't vote, advertisor's think they are not getting enough bang for their loonies, so why not drop CDN content in favor of the Yankee shows that have 10X more people watching them anyway? Though truth be told, I usually got around this by a delayed viewing; recording the show then about 25 minutes in I would start watching it from the beginning, and just buzzing through the bits I had no interest in and then would I catch up in real time as the show ended, so I could vote during the voting time window.

As Canadians we need to complain when they cancel these kinds of home grown shows, or we risk seeing our talented youth leaving for greener and more lucrative USAand European pastures.

I really think Canadians need to support CDN content in radio and TV programming etc, if not then we deserve our fate of seeing all our talent leaving Canada. That's why I try to devote 25% of my available entertainment hours to supporting CDN content. I really wish more people would do the same, and maybe there would be a season 5 being planned, instead of yet another Cdn show cancellation announcement...

We also need to start making more noise and supporting our Cdn athletes, not just when OLY come to town, or when they win, but during the lean and mean and growing times too, or there will be no incentive for youth to put all the training time in, or parents to finance the kid's dream...One easy way to do that is just go to the new ISU you tube channel and watch the junior grand prix vids, esp the vids of your own countrymen who are entered. The number of views is very telling of the level of interest and support for the sport and of the athletes themselves. I think the kids who are not always on the podium would have a lot more incentive to train harder if they knew someone cared enough to watch them do their thing. I am going to make it a point to watch not only the podium athletes, but my country's entries and whoever is in last place if my viewing time is limited, otherwise I will do my best to eventually watch all the junior playlists. The by product is already as a skating fan I am more interested in seeing the development of these young skater's. I honestly never cared that much before since I never really saw them unless they also skated senior. I am already more invested in watching the next JR event to see what happens and who may be skating in the GPF to be held in Quebec City that is viable location for me to attend in person. It's human nature that we are pulled toward the familiar, those skater's we have seen before, or we can get excited by when we see somebody for the 1st time who is really special, who captures our attention and whose career we can then follow and support from the beginning. It's also surprising that some of the juniors are better skater's than the seniors, just a tad more inconsistent in competition, but some are clearly only going to get better over time and it will be a lot more fun to follow them now when I can put a face and performance to the name on the results sheet.
    Last edited by Debrah; 09-14-2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456