Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Given the voting results, I have to agree with the judges choices for top 10. I'm not in agreement with the voters, however....
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The best three men on the show -- Christian, Joey, and Shane -- were bottom three. Two of the "safe" contemporary guys, Matt and Adam, are so bland and interchangeable by comparison.
    That was quite sad. Unfortunately, my order of preference was Joey, Shane, and then Christian, but I can understand the judges' reasoning behind the decision. I did vote for both Joey and Shane, but was worried that their less popular female partners would bring them down to the bottom three again. Last week the bottom worked out okay with a weaker guy and all weaker girls (in my opinion, of course!), so this week's results were unfortunate.

I guess the early power couples were driven by the girls?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I liked it a lot better when they kept mixing the couples up, and they had to keep adapting.

Four ballroom dancers in the top 10 -- yes!
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    No thoughts for this week?

vCash
    Really enjoyed the top 10 performance show. Nobody sucked and there were some surprizing breakthrough performances and some decent choreo, too. Loved the mambo routine from F & D and the Jaz from J & C the best. It is going to be very difficult from here on to decide who will stay and who should go. So far the ballroom people have shown the most growth and all around style versatility IMO. The contemporary dancers are really, really fab when in their own styles, but they also don't have quite the same success when they have had to leave their own styles behind. Really curious to see who Canada has decided to save and who the judges will ask to pack their bags...

Skating supporter
    vCash
    Like Debrah, I really enjoyed last night's show. It will be very interesting to see who's at the bottom and who gets sent home. They definitely have a talented group from whom to choose this season.

vCash
    I agree that it was a strong show. I thought the choreography was all solid - with no stinkers. (I usually expect at least one)
    But I was not very inspired by the solos.
    I didn't love Sean Cheeseman's work as much as I usually do - and even thought it was quite a bit of recylced material. But I have very high expectations for him so maybe that has something to do with it.

vCash
    I'm really enjoying the Canadian season! I think the dancers are very strong and although a lot of dancers have gotten mostly their own styles, at least this seems to happen to all dancers more or less equally. Carlena got hip hop or something similar a whole bunch of times. Christian has had a ton of ballroom. And they seemed to be protecting Yuliya and, especially, Jordan. Christian and Jordan still haven't had hip hop, IIRC.

Melissa is my favorite so far, because she has been pushed and has excelled at everything. I like Lindsay and Jordan more as contemporary dancers (their lines are better, IMO), but Jordan is less versatile and relies a bit too much on tricks for my taste, and Lindsay dances a bit young, still (I LOVE her feet, though).

I absolutely adore Shane. Not the best lines or feet, but he's done so well outside of his genre. I loved his disco (and I never love disco), and I thought he did very well on his jive. His solos are great, too. I expect him to leave soon, and that makes me sad.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I think Jordan relies too much on tricks in her solos -- cheerleadery competition trash -- but I find her far more versatile than Melissa in partnered dancing and more comfortable with it out of her style. She's a performer. "That's Life" with Joey was wonderful for both of them, and she showed range, timing, and solid comedic chops in it. She did a super Paso Doble with Christian, a fine samba with Francois, and she was fabulous with Christian last night. (I missed two of her contemporary numbers because of VCR problems.)

One of the advantages with the Canadian show is having four ballroom dancers in the mix, and only a few in the top 20 got Latin or Ballroom without a ballroom partner. I know that Latin is not competitive ballroom, but ballroom dancers are used to moving their hips and torso in advantageous ways, and they are used to close partnering, very fast footwork, and turns. The dancers who didn't get a ballroom partner in Latin or ballroom were Lauren and Rodrigo in Cha Cha Cha (bottom three week one) and Teya and Kevin in Viennese Waltz (safe in week two for a horrible performance). It can be a double-edged sword, in which the ballroom dancer makes the partner look lame, but I haven't seen much of that.

One of the judges, maybe Mary Murphy, hit it on the head with Francois last night: he's a generous partner who tries to make the woman shine. While I would love to see Christian, with that sweet face, sparkling eyes, monster hips, and height eat JLo alive in a music video, and I think that Shane is the most versatile dancer and an excellent partner, especially for his height, I think that Francois might be the most useful dancer of the remaining men for his ability to be front and center and then to let his partner be the center of attention.

ITA about the disco number Shane did. It reminded me of "Saturday Night Fever", where the Italian dancers, the Latino dancers, and the black dancers each had their own styles. Shane owned it, and added another dimension of style -- maybe it was a bit of funk? -- while almost all of the disco I've seen on these shows has been generic, let's-imitate-John-Travolta style. Actually, he's done that out of his style from the beginning.

Adam and Kevin have their moments -- I almost never watch Adam when he's dancing with someone else -- and Kevin seems like a sweetheart, but but Shane kills them both in contemporary and in everything else he touches. Sadly I didn't get to start watching until after 10pm, and only had about 30 minutes to send a lot of votes his way, but I hope the fans heed the judges, although I fear he will get caught between the shirtless and the white bread.

Of the women I think Melissa is the finest in her contemporary genre. She has elegance and line, and does transitions beautifully. She reminds me of what Julie Worden would dance like if I liked Julie Worden. Lindsay does the throw yourself-at-the-guy-in-agony contemporary stuff well, but I don't see a lot of versatility, and she doesn't have the "wow" presence I find in Jordan, who I think only needs direction. I think that Denitsa is the most versatile of the women. I love Yuliya's dancing, but other styles are more of a struggle for her, and she suffers by comparison to Denitsa.

I loved Gustavo Vargas' opening Mambo (Denitsa and Francois), Luther Brown's Hip-hop (Melissa and Shane), and Sean Cheesman's closing Jazz (Jordan and Christian). I loved Cheesman's concept, which isn't surprising, since it has doors, and the Red Door number on the US show was one of my favorite numbers.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I think Jordan relies too much on tricks in her solos -- cheerleadery competition trash -- but I find her far more versatile than Melissa in partnered dancing and more comfortable with it out of her style. She's a performer. "That's Life" with Joey was wonderful for both of them, and she showed range, timing, and solid comedic chops in it. She did a super Paso Doble with Christian, a fine samba with Francois, and she was fabulous with Christian last night. (I missed two of her contemporary numbers because of VCR problems.)
    See, I disagree with this. Jordan was great with Joey, and I loved her Paso but I did not like her in the samba one bit. I thought she was really awkward and had her weight in all the wrong places. I'm also waiting for her to get hip hop. And I want Melissa to have to do a cha cha or a waltz or something.

But anyway, this is ultimately not a big deal. I enjoy this show so much more than the US version. And they've got some very kick ass dancers this year.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I apologize -- one of the weeks I missed was Jordan's samba. Yuliya was the only other woman to do samba on SYTYCDC. (I was probably thinking of curly-haired Caitlynn's samba on SYTYCD )

Skating supporter
    vCash
    Bottom 3 women: Denitsa; Yuliya & Melissa
    Bottom 3 men: Christian; Francois & Adam

Watching the live feed from Halifax CTV thanks to timeshifting.
    Last edited by victorskid; 08-24-2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Removed spoiler tags

Skating supporter
    vCash
    Going home tonight: Yuliya & Francois
    Last edited by victorskid; 08-24-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: ditto

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

vCash
    I was hoping it'd be Melissa. She's great technically, but something about her just seems..fake.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The judges didn't give any rationale for their decisions, or say whether the votes were unanimous, which was disappointing. I wonder if the rest of the judges ganged up on J-MG and if Mary Murphy brought a message from the corporate producers.

They love Melissa and have been talking about her being in the finals for weeks. Her routines did have standing O's for many weeks in a row, and Genereux gave her solo a standing O. There's no way they were going to get rid of her.

They kept Yuliya for several weeks of being in the bottom 3. If Lindsay hadn't been safe, Yuliya might have stood a chance, depending on the audience vote, but against Melissa and Denitsa, whose been more versatile, and with Yuliya in the bottom 3 a few weeks in a row, Yuliya was toast.

They could not possibly have based the decision on the men based on the solo. While all three men's solos have been similar, there was virtually no dancing in Adam's, just the usual turns in second and tumbling.

Francois and Christian had double-whammies: their home province, Quebec, supposedly isn't voting in large numbers, and votes from the ballroom crowd would be split.

That the two blandest competitors, Lindsay and Matt, were safe says a lot about the voting.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 08-24-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Skating supporter
    vCash
    Near the opening of the show we're told that last week it wasn't actually the judges who made the decisions - it was based on the vote. That's the way it's done on the CDN show once we get to top 10 apparently. They should have mentioned that last week...

So tonight we go from top 8 to top 4 - or do we?

Going forward are Christian, Jordan, Lindsay, Matt, Melissa & Shane.

The final 2 above actually thought they were going home but were given the big surprise that they weren't.

What surprise will they pull on us next week?
    Last edited by victorskid; 08-31-2011 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Removed spoiler tags

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    and

As an FYI, anyone with an email subscription to the topic will see everything within the spoiler tags in clear text in the email. (I don't care, because I hate surprised.)

vCash
    I actually like Melissa... took me a while to warm up to her, but I really love watching her move.

Christian has joined my ballroom boyfriend collection... Artem, Dimitri, Pasha, etc. It's becoming quite the crowd.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I tuned in to the show when my family was finished watching a movie tonight- and the top three girls were just starting a number. I watched it with great pleasure, and was thinking what wonderful choreography I was watching (as well as good dancing) and then when it was done I see that Mia Michaels is the choreographer. Yay Canada!

Sabrina Matthew's number for the top 6 was quite special too. It's nice to see such unique works.
    Last edited by rjblue; 09-06-2011 at 01:08 AM.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast