Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    I think

Spoiler

vCash
    How could they do that???? I don't believe it but at least is wasn't unanimous.

Spoiler

The spoilers are for anyone on the west coast who wants to wait to hear the results but wants to chat as the show continues.

vCash
    Final comment (maybe ) - If any of the teams that the judges see as less capable than the ones they just had to let go end up in the bottom 3 I think they will be gone in a flash regardless of how they dance for their lives.
    Last edited by Skate Talker; 07-20-2011 at 01:56 AM. Reason: duh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate Talker View Post
    Thanks for the spoiler tags rjblue
    I'll do the same next week -- sorry! Hopefully I didn't give too much away.

vCash
    No worries this time on my part, TygerLily. I didn't start checking out the thread until my coverage had already announced the bottom 3 teams but before the solos.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I do not know how the waltzers, Teya and Kevin, escaped the bottom three.

I'm surprised the judges picked Rodrigo; I think he's more versatile than JP. I'm not surprised they picked Lauren, if any of it was based on the solo.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I was wondering if the judges who wanted to keep JP saw Rodrigo/Lauren and JP/Danitsa as so similar that a Rodrigo/Danitsa pairing wouldn't make a difference in the performance or voting. The rationale could have been that Danitsa would be better off with someone she's been working with.

Again, I didn't want any of the girls to go. Carlena was my least favourite, but I'm cranky because I don't know how much of that opinion stems from the bad edit she got out of left field.

I don't know if I'm making sense.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I see a great difference in movement quality between JP and Rodrigo. I think Denitsa has the same issue with JP that Clarice had with Jess on the US show: she looks like a grown-up dancing with a kid, and she's got a physically weaker partner than the other women.

Denitsa would have looked great with Rodrigo's power. Jess is much more versatile than JP and has especially fine technique, and he and Clarice have overcome the contrast. I don't see that happening with JP: he doesn't seem as ambitious as Jess, who reads to me as remarkably professional, wants a serious career, and knows the obstacle he faces as a short male dancer.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    For last night's top 18 they switched the couples around, and they got some winners:

Jordan/Christian: Paso Doble, Natalli Reznick/Francis Lafreniere
    Danitsa/Matt: Contemporary, Sabrina Matthews
    Carlena/Kevin: Hip Hop, Sho-Tyme
    Lindsay/Shane: Disco, Melissa Williams
    Geisha/Adam: Jazz, Blake McGrath
    Yuliya/Francois: Mambo, Gustavo Vargas
    Shelaina/JP: Bollywood, Longinus Fernandez
    Teia/Boneless: Krump, Lil "C"
    Melissa/Joey: Contemporary, Mandy Moore

Except for Teia/Boneless, both of whom were sent home tonight, and Geisha/Adam, they got as ideal pairings as they could. I suppose they could have paired Danitsa and Christian, and Jordan and Matt, but I thought they looked great with their new partners who dance different styles.

Melissa and Joey have such wonderful line and polish.

I thought Teia and Boneless performed Krump better than that silly Geisha/Adam Jazz number, and the judges said that Geisha didn't have the strongest solo tonight, but they said that punting Geisha was unanimous, while the vote against Boneless was not.

Shelaina reminds me of Chelsea Kane on DWTS: cute -- she registers much younger than she is -- blond, similar haircuts, and it was Disney Bollywood, but she and JP were so damn cute together.

I think the Bollywood number that introduced last week's results show was brilliant, and that Bollywood is better in groups, especially the patterns, even if there are two soloists in front of the group.

The bottom three were Yuliya/Francois, Teia/Boneless, and Geisha/Adam. I never would have had Yuliya/Francois in the bottom three, but I fear this means doom for ballroom dancers, even if viewers vote for ballroom routines.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    I thought it was a good night of performances in general. Didn't think much of the Geisha/Adam routine, or the Krump. But although I agree with sending Teia home, I am sad about Boneless leaving (but then I like Adam too!) . I hope the ballroom dancers stay around for a while.

Loved the Mandy Moore routine, and the Paso- the Bollywood was cute and well done.

Good show.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    They mixed up the partnerships again:

Lindsay/Francois: Hip-Hop (Luther Brown)

Jordan/Shane: Contemporary (Wynn Holmes, Nico Archambault)

Yuliya/Matt: Quickstep (Melanie LaPatin, Tony Meredith)

Melissa/Christian: Tango (Melanie LaPatin, Tony Meredith)

Geisha/JP: House (Slo-tyme)

Shelaina/Kevin: Contemporary (Sabrina Matthews)

Denitsa/Joey: Salsa (Gustavo Vargas)

Carlena/Adam: Theatre (Sean Chessman)

I fear Yuliya has been thrown under the bus cosmically with the selections she's had so far: Musical Theater, Samba, Mambo, Quickstep. All upbeat, I'm sure most people toss Mambo into her ballroom genre, and without tossing herself around with lots of angst, I doubt people are going to vote for her.

Melissa and Christian were in the tango. Her legs go on forever, and she whipped them around him

Matt and Joey didn't get the Quickstep and Tango Salsa at all, although Matt sold it and Joey didn't, and there was nothing Yuliya and Denitsa could do. Denitsa was , too, in the Salsa, and although I like Yuliya better as a ballroom dancer -- she's more concise -- Denitsa has been able to show versatility, and she has very fine stage presence.

Shelaina threw herself around a lot tonight, but she doesn't convince me. Nor did Geisha and JP in House: to me they looked like theater kids trying on a new style. Carlena is frighteningly beautiful, but that Sean Chessman piece did her no favors, in my opinion, in showing much versatility. On the other hand, the phone lines were overloaded starting at about 11:30pm Pacific Time, and I wonder if there was something on the local news or radio that urged people to vote for her, since she's from Vancouver.

If I were looking for a male dancer who could stand up to a Madonna or Beyonce, for example, in a music video, I would choose Christian in a heartbeat. If I were looking for someone with strong technique and long lines who could do funny, I'd pick Joey. I think Melissa is frighteningly good, at least the equal to Melanie on the US show, and probably better. If I were looking to hire for a Disney show, I'd pick Shelaina and JP, who exude cute. If I were looking for versatile men who could move, add in Francois and Shane. I'm afraid I have a hard time distinguishing between the rest of the men, who remind me of characters on Friends, although they seem a lot nicer.

For the life of me, I don't understand why the judges, some of whom have seen him for weeks, and others who have worked with him, are so surprised each week that Shane is so strong and such a good partner, despite his size. He keeps proving it over and over again with the strongest women in his genre, Melissa, Jordan, and Lindsay.

ETA: I mistakenly wrote in my last post that Geisha was eliminated last week. It was Teya. Carlena was emotional describing how the week before, she lost her partner, Boneless, and her best friend, Teya.

They also dedicated a few minutes to describe what was going on when the judges didn't appear back on time in the last elimination show. They explained that there was some crying and make-up reapplication, and that it was a very difficult decision among the men. They said they based their decision on votes, the Dance for Your Life solo, and versatility, which suggests Boneless got slammed on the first and third, which is too bad, because although Adam might be more versatile than Boneless, his movement is more generic. I found Boneless much more creative and appealing.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 08-02-2011 at 05:37 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Geisha/JP: House (Slo-tyme)
    It's Sho Tyme

Loved the tango - Melissa is on fire.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by star_gazer11 View Post
    It's Sho Tyme
    Oh,

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    My PVR didn't record the results show last night, but according to Wikipedia,

Bottom 3 were:
    Shelaina and Kevin
    Denitsa and Joey
    Jordan and Shane

For Dance for Your Life, all danced contemporary solos except Denitsa, who danced Jive.

Shelaina and Kevin were eliminated.

Kevin was the obvious choice among the men, because there is no way those judges were going to get rid of Joey, and Shane is just too strong. There's no way they would have eliminated Jordan, either, and I was happy to see that they kept the stronger dancer between Shelaina and Denitsa.

vCash
    I haven't been voting since I like almost everybody, but I might have to next week since I would have voted for Shelaina/Kevin and Jordan/Shane based on strong (if not 100% interesting) performances this week. I would have assumed Denitsa/Joey would be safe based on their historical performances as this was Joey's first misstep.

Kevin certainly was the weakest of the guys in the bottom 3, so ultimately I wasn't as sad to see him go as I was Boneless (who I also would have voted for).

It's been a tough season since I pretty much like everyone, just I like some more than I like others.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Another PVR snafu -- I didn't see the dances on Monday.

The bottom three tonight were:

Carlena and Joey
    Yuliya and JP
    Geisha and Shane

Before Jean-Marc Genereux announced the woman who was leaving, he said it was by votes, and it was Carlena. Geisha, again, didn't have a good solo Tre Armstrong said they didn't want any of the men to go, and Rex Harrington said it wasn't unanimous. Because the voting was by couples, which means Joey also got the lowest number of votes, and he is one of the strongest men on the show, and they were not going to let him nor Shane go. Both got at least some of the judges standing. JP was eliminated. Both were hip-hop dancers, and she was, by far IMO, the most beautiful woman in the competition and the camera loved her. JP was up there among the best-looking men, even if he could pass for 16, and they lost both diversity of style and the pretty tonight.

Left in the top 12 are four ballroom dancers, one jazz, and seven contemporary dancers. At least two ballroom dancers will make the top 10.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    No changes of partners for this week's competition which is starting off very strong. [I'm watching it live via timeshifting from CTV Atlantic.] Yuliya is partnered with Shane as they each lost their partners last week.
    Last edited by victorskid; 08-16-2011 at 12:45 AM.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Oh yay! People are posting!

I loved tonight's episode and voted for the first time this season since there were two dances I liked significantly less than the rest. I don't know if the show's still airing out west, so spoilering just in case. I watched out of order, so I'm blanking a bit, but I didn't vote for

Spoiler

Last edited by TygerLily; 08-16-2011 at 03:03 AM. Reason: to add line breaks

vCash
    Remembered some names:

Spoiler

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The best three men on the show -- Christian, Joey, and Shane -- were bottom three. Two of the "safe" contemporary guys, Matt and Adam, are so bland and interchangeable by comparison.

Christian was told right off that he was top 10. Tre Armstrong said emphatically that the decision between Shane and Joey was not unanimous. Joey was eliminated He very graciously asked his fans to vote for his friends.

Of the women, the bottom three were Lindsay, Geisha, and Yuliya. Lindsay was made top 10 right away. Genereux noted the number of times that Geisha and Yuliya were in the bottom three, and that Yuliya was a multi-time ballroom champion, but was that enough, blah, blah, yes it was. Geisha was on the cusp too many times and should have been more than she was, IMO.

I think the fans just don't like Yuliya, because she's danced very, very well in her own genre. I don't know if they just decided there's room for only one ballroom woman, and Denitsa, whose proven her versatility, gets the slot, or they're annoyed that she's so often in her style, or they just don't like ballroom. There may always be room for ballroom men -- they and show lots of chest.

As long as Adam is with Melissa, he's about as safe as it gets when people vote pairs. I wish that Denitsa and Matt had been bottom three, so that the judges could save Denitsa, and Shane wouldn't have to go up against Joey, but I also didn't get the pony I asked for.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 08-17-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast