vCash

Australian skating news & skater articles

Article on young Australian ice dancer Kimberley Hew-Low, age 17, (she and her partner Cameron Hemmert, age 16, are the current AUS Junior Dance champions and they made their international debut at 2011 Junior Worlds): http://www.theleader.com.au/news/loc...px?storypage=0
    Three days after winning nationals, Kimberley and Cameron flew to San Jose, US, where they trained intensively for five weeks under Russian coaches Sergei Ponomarenko and his wife Marina Klimova, the three-time legendary Olympic dance champions.

Following this, they competed in their first international competition: the World Junior Figure Skating Championships in Korea.

Despite being the most inexperienced couple — most nations would have chalked up several Junior Grand Prix competitions and Worlds attempts — they skated their personal best and exceeded all expectations, finishing 18 in the qualifying round.

Her ultimate goal is to represent Australia in the Olympics, Kimberley said. "I feel so lucky that we were able to participate in Junior Worlds.

‘‘It was such an overwhelming experience - we were always in a new environment, meeting new people, skating under new conditions, I just wanted to soak it all in!

‘‘ It was also a great opportunity to reflect on how far I’ve come, but how very, very far I’ve got to go.
    Link to their ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013044.htm
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-05-2011 at 08:13 PM.

vCash
    I hope they can continue training.

It would be awesome if there were both able to relocate to US and train with Klimova & Ponomarenko.

But he's younger and still has a year of school, no?

vCash
    Near the end of the article it says: "In her final year at school, Kimberley has decided to focus on her HSC this year while continuing her training at a lesser pace."

HSC = Higher School Certificate, a secondary school credential in New South Wales, Australia.

vCash
    Yes and it also said that she wanted to get into a US university and continue training in the US.

The problem is her partner is a year young so if she moves to the US, that will probably mean a split because he will have to finish his school?

vCash
    I have met Cameron and his mum at Australian Nationals. Really nice people. Cameron also skates singles.

Kimberly actually looks like a natural born ice dancer. She is lovely on the ice.

If anything the thing that will probably hold them back is money because it is so expensive to be able to travel to train and compete overseas. I know that for our Senior couple Dani O'Brien and Greg Merriman it has been a real battle.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Near the end of the article it says: "In her final year at school, Kimberley has decided to focus on her HSC this year while continuing her training at a lesser pace."

HSC = Higher School Certificate, a secondary school credential in New South Wales, Australia.
    Unfortunately most athletes in year 12 have to decide whether to focus on training or school.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Good article.

I'll upload it to the aussieSKATES site.

vCash
    Some pairs articles

Veera, 12, was in Berlin for an Australian Ice Skating Association training camp with her skating partner Callum Bullard.
    She will travel to Dallas, US, for another camp in July
    http://liverpool-leader.whereilive.c...or-schoolwork/

Paris said she was very excited to be travelling to both Colorado Springs and Berlin, adding she was happy to be travelling with her friends and fellow teammates.
    http://starnewspaper.com.au/news/?p=154

Kimberley Hew-Low is on icepartnersearch http://www.icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=3588 and has been for awhile. I don't think that team is together anymore.

This site has some interesting articles on NZL skaters http://www.odt.co.nz/sport/ice-skating

vCash
    Doesn't Cheltzie have HSC soon?

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Doesn't Cheltzie have HSC soon?
    I think she's already graduated and is doing first year uni.

vCash
    Cameron and Kimberly are definitely no longer together. His mother says that he wanted to focus on singles.

Cheltzie finished her HSC last year.

vCash
    Jaimee NOBBS has been assigned as the lone Australian entry to the first JGP in Riga, Latvia, with Taylor DEAN listed as her alternate. Hopefully Australia will use all their singles entries for Brisbane, the second JGP.

Brooklee Han is schedueld to compete in the Junior ladies event at the Charter Oak Open in Simsbury, CT, this weekend (she trains in nearby Newington, CT with coach Serhii Vaypan).

Sydney Morning Herald article (July 26, 2011): Sydney Winter festival gets flying start
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-03-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia
    Sydney Morning Herald article (July 26, 2011): Sydney Winter festival gets flying start
    We went skating on the temporary rink at the Winter Festival last week, and stayed to watch the skating exhibition afterwards. I'm amazed any of the skaters in the show were landing jumps and were able to spin, because the ice surface was truly awful. They deserved much more applause than they actually received!
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    Taylor Dean, Chantelle Kerry and Jaimee Nobbs are also skating at the New Zealand Winter Games.

So fingers cross Taylor and Chantelle get to do the JGP in Brisbane.

http://www.nzisa.com/competitions/20...rGamesNZNZISA/

vCash

Interview with Robert and Kim Innes

A very in depth interview with Robert and Kim Innes
    http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/...=conversations

"In March 2007, news was flashed across the country that a Sydney ferry, the Pam Burrdige, had collided with boat on Sydney Harbour.

The boat had been sheared in half and sank almost immediately.

Morgan Innes was one of four people killed in the accident, and three others were seriously injured.

While struggling with their grief, her parents Robert and Kim spent three years after the accident trying to find out just what happened that night, and how it went so tragically wrong.

Kim and Robert have developed a website in Morgan's memory, and established the Morgan Innes Foundation. "

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz_sk8ting_mum View Post
    A very in depth interview with Robert and Kim Innes
    http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/...=conversations

"In March 2007, news was flashed across the country that a Sydney ferry, the Pam Burrdige, had collided with boat on Sydney Harbour.

The boat had been sheared in half and sank almost immediately.

Morgan Innes was one of four people killed in the accident, and three others were seriously injured.

While struggling with their grief, her parents Robert and Kim spent three years after the accident trying to find out just what happened that night, and how it went so tragically wrong.

Kim and Robert have developed a website in Morgan's memory, and established the Morgan Innes Foundation. "
    Thanks for the link. I'll upload it to aussieSKATES.