Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

2018 Olympic Winter Games Decision - IOC Session 2011 in Durban

IOC is convening in Durban this week for the annual IOC session. On top of the list of course is the host city election for the 2018 Winter Olympics. Candidate cities are Pyeong Chang (South Korea), Munich (Germany), and Annecy (France).

Insiders are calling this Pyeong Chang's race to lose after two very narrow losses to Vancouver for 2010 and Sochi for 2014. Yuna Kim will be an athlete ambassador for the PC bid. Meanwhile, Munich will row out former Queen of the ice Katarina Witt, who is actually on the executive board of the Munich bid. Annecy are said to have an outside chance due to it's close proximity to Albertville who hosted in 1992 and a less capable bid.

The vote will be tomorrow July 6th, you can watch the whole show including each bid presentations to the IOC live here:

http://www.olympic.org/2018-host-city-election

Before that though, IOC has already yesterday to include in Sochi 2014 new sports ski and snowboard slopestyle and snowboard special slalom. This is on top of the already approved ski half pipe (men and women), women's ski jumping, biathlon mixed relay, figure skating team event, and luge team relay. None of the above were contested in Vancouver 2010. Glad to see more sports added to the Winter Games which I find more exciting than the summer counterpart.

Meanwhile for the 2020 Summer Games, the shortlist for the new sports to add are baseball, karate, roller sports, softball, sports climbing, squash, wakeboard and wushu. However because the Summer Games are already too big the inclusion of any of the above would mean kicking out a few of other sports. For example for Rio 2016, baseball and softball are ejected in favor of Rugby-7 and Golf.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash

Prick Admin
    vCash
    C'mon Munich!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I wonder whether Pyeong Chang learned anything from the 2016 Summer Olympics bidding? If they did, they might have some of their supporters vote for Annecy in the first round in the hopes of knocking out Munich from the start (similar to Chicago getting knocked out in the first round to the benefit of Rio). Doing so would almost certainly guarnatee South Korea the Winter Olympics considering Annecy is an extremely long shot to prevail.

I'm rooting a little more for Munich, but ultimately I won't have a problem if Pyeong Chang wins.

vCash
    Well another thing to consider is the 2020 bid. Rome has already formally announced their application, and some rumors are saying that Madrid are also considering but will wait until the 2018 decisions. Italy and Spain has a very strong influence in the IOC so if they want to secure an European Games in 2020 they would want a Pyeong Chang win tomorrow. Otherwise another very possible Tokyo 2020 bid will definitely be a strong opponent for the European cities.

IOC politics really fascinates me

vCash
    I read the bid books in great detail and if we are going by the best technical bid then Munich has the best bid hands down. Of course IOC members as we all well know don't just vote on who has the best bid books, politics, emotion, favors of course will all factor in to it.

I was extremely dissappointed by the lack of detail in Pyeongchang's bid books. To me it felt like the effort was just lazy and that they're so confident they're going to win they're just coasting and resting on their laurels.

Annecy, well I actually wouldn't have a problem with them winning but there's just not enough support there and the bid book I think with their details was a bit of a stretch with what they can actually accomplish, but I actually preferred it to Pyeongchang's but realisticly they don't have a shot.

What I'd like to happen:
    1) Munich 2) Annecy 3) Pyeongchang
    Munich defeats Annecy in the final round

What i think WILL happen:
    1) Pyeongchang 2) Munich 3) Annecy
    Pyeongchang narrowly defeats Munich in the last round.

Something in the Korean bid is off to be and I would love to see Munich win just for a chance to change the course of their Olympic history.
    Kyle

vCash
    I'm rooting for Pyeongchang.

Choice is an illusion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    C'mon Munich!
    I would do anything for Munich to win

vCash
    I'll add a and raise you with

Go Munich!
    Kyle

vCash
    Bids Schmids! This is about Yu-na and you all know it.

Even the most earnest of Olympic selection committees would be rendered powerless once caught in her galaxial pull.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    Bids Schmids! This is about Yu-na and you all know it.

Even the most earnest of Olympic selection committees would be rendered powerless once caught in her galaxial pull.
    Either way, she'll surely shed a single tear whatever the result.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    anyone watching?
    i hope for Munich to win!! would be awesome to have Olympics in my country!!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninchen View Post
    anyone watching?
    Is it being shown somewhere?

All the signs are pointing to Pyeongchang winning though....

Choice is an illusion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninchen View Post
    anyone watching?
    i hope for Munich to win!! would be awesome to have Olympics in my country!!
    Me too And it will be closer and easier to get to Munich for me, than to Korea

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Is it being shown somewhere?

All the signs are pointing to Pyeongchang winning though....
    yes they were showing it live here http://www.olympic.org/ . You can rewatch the presentations now And afaik Eurosport2 was broadcasting too

and here's teh schedule for today: http://www.olympic.org/2018-host-city-election?tab=4

vCash
    I fear the korean will win it.
    Sad for all the ski fans who are alreay complaining about all the venues for both snowboard AND ski. Booooooooooo !! I hate politics !
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Watched all three!

Munich had Katt all over the presentation and she did a really good job. However the presentation wasn't anything too special, emphasized the capabilities and experiences which we all would expect from Germany.

Annecy did really well IMO. They were sincere and to the point, and had Gwendal in one part of the presentation. He looked goood. To me it seems Annecy did the best to win undecided votes.

PyeongChang pulled the Rio card, new horizons and all. They were humble but at times borderline desperate. However PC pushed really hard to try and convince a nontraditional game will be good for the Olympics movement, which a lot of the IOC may listen to (delegates from Africa, SA, etc). Also they revolved the future of Korean winter athletes by using Yuna as an example. She did well addressing to the IOC too!

I still think this is PC's to lose. But wouldn't be surprised if Annecy made it past first round!

vCash
    Still no results ?

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    Still no results ?
    If you check the link posted you can see it will be announced 17:00 your time.

vCash
    Naaa it was supposed to be at 15h !!! Grrrrrrr.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast