Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prick Admin
    vCash

Manhattan Hotel suggestions?

I've somehow gotten myself involved in organising my mother's trip to NYC around Thanksgiving this year and even though I'd warned her about NYC hotel prices, she got a bit of a shock when I told her the nightly rate ($350) for a nice-ish hotel that she had asked me to look up.

So, I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for hotels in Manhattan that are more reasonably priced and comfortable/not grotty in a good location?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    If it's only 1 person, or 2 people sharing 1 bed, try the Priceline bidding/advice forums at http://www.biddingfortravel.com and look up what prevailing Priceline bids for 4* or 5* hotels in midtown or downtown are going for.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    If your mother isn't into the whole Macy's Day Parade madness, I'd stay away from the West Side of Manhattan, especially that entire route. It's good she's booking early.

Thinking....

What does she want to do? Museums? Theatre?
    Last edited by soxxy; 07-03-2011 at 06:45 PM.

vCash
    I stayed here in 2008, great location, fairly reasonable cost & it's been renovated since :

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwest...RateFlag=false

Hope the link works!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrak View Post

Hope the link works!
    It doesn't.

What is the name of the hotel and I can look it up?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    If your mother isn't into the whole Macy's Day Parade madness, I'd stay away from the West Side of Manhattan, especially that entire route. It's good she's booking early.

Thinking....

What does she want to do? Museums? Theatre?
    She's not going to be in NYC for Thanksgiving itself. She'll be travelling to North Carolina to stay with my uncle and his family.

I'm not too sure what she is going to be doing actually. She has lived in NYC before so I imagine catching up with old friends mainly.

Let's go Anacode!!!
    vCash
    When I go to NYC with my friend, we usually stay at the Washington Jefferson hotel. Clean, nice staff, and really close to Times Square. If your mom is going to be staying for several days, usually you can get better rates/specials.
    Don't cry because its over...smile because it happened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I've somehow gotten myself involved in organising my mother's trip to NYC around Thanksgiving this year and even though I'd warned her about NYC hotel prices, she got a bit of a shock when I told her the nightly rate ($350) for a nice-ish hotel that she had asked me to look up.

So, I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for hotels in Manhattan that are more reasonably priced and comfortable/not grotty in a good location?
    Tell me more what about what she wants, the exact dates, how many people, etc.

My database linked to airline reservations is showing over 15 hotels in Manhattan, few near Central Park but mot between Theatre District and Time Square for 180 to 290 USD for 1 room/1 person.

vCash
    My housemate stayed at the Pennsylvania next to Penn Station in May.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Sparrow View Post
    My housemate stayed at the Pennsylvania next to Penn Station in May.
    I stayed there for work in 2007. It was really dumpy and filthy. Hope it has been done over since then. I was there with 5 other work people and noone was happy.

I also have stayed at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square, and the Roosevelt Hotel, not too far from Grant Central. Both can be expensive, but are very nice.

Check out Club Quarters, one in Midtown and one by Rockefeller Plaza. Can be reasonable. Stayed there for work, not sure if you have be a member, like my employer is. Small rooms, but clean, and good locations.

vCash
    Also check out www.tripadvisor.com and see what folks say about hotels. Very helpful tool.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    I stayed there for work in 2007. It was really dumpy and filthy. Hope it has been done over since then. I was there with 5 other work people and noone was happy.
    Not only that but there's no staff in the hotel at night - at least there didn't used to be.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I had sticker shock as well, when I realized how much rack rate in NYC is.

I enjoyed my short stay at the Wyndham Garden Times Square South (there's another location in Chelsea as well). I snagged a decent rate on travelzoo ($185/night), so I'd suggest signing up for their emails.

Very comfy bed, and the bathroom goodies were a good spread.

vCash
    I recently stayed at a new Hampton Inn in Soho (Watts Avenue, I think). Reasonably priced (for NYC), VERY nice room, safe location. Also, the room was actually somewhat sizeable, unlike the tiny crackerboxes you often find in NYC.

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    If you have a friend who happens to have a corporate perk program that includes brands of hotels, that might help a lot.

Somehow, through my sister, I got to stay at the Marriott Marquis smack dab in Times Square (unfortunately to see an aunt off in the hospital). I had never been to NYC as an independent adult, so, it was good to be in such a mainstream area so I could see the typical stuff once. Later, my brother and sister moved just 2 blocks down to the Renaissance, also a Marriott, and as I recall, it was a pretty good price for a very mod hotel.

But since your mom lived in Manhattan ... she might not be into such touristy areas ...

Good luck!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I don't have much personal experience, but you might find the Fodor's Travel Guide page for NYC useful.

They have picks in various price ranges
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    I stayed in this Comfort Inn (129 West 46th St, right next to Times Square) in January 2008. I think the rate was around $189 per night (I'm sure it's more around dates like Thanksgiving). I would stay there again. It was clean and quiet, and very close to everything I needed. Small rooms though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    It is disgusting. Worst hotel I have EVER stayed in.

Jay and I are in NYC right now, and we always stay in the Park Central on 56th and 7th. You can get great rates (20% off if you stay 5 or more nights), and it has always been clean, quiet, and it has a gorgeous lobby. MANY Europeans stay here, so your mom might like it, too. Just 3 blocks from Central Park, Carnegie Hall is across the street, Lincoln Center is 10 blocks uptown, Times Square is 14 blocks downtown, and the NRQ subway lines are outside the side entrance. LOVE it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    I stayed in this Comfort Inn (129 West 46th St, right next to Times Square) in January 2008. I think the rate was around $189 per night (I'm sure it's more around dates like Thanksgiving). I would stay there again. It was clean and quiet, and very close to everything I needed. Small rooms though.
    I stayed at the Comfort Inn in Chelsea (18th W. 25th Street) last year for a similar price and also had a good experience. The rooms were small, but clean and modern. I believe there was also a breakfast included (but I'm not totally sure). The location is great, very cool and close to several subway lines. I'd stay there again.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    It doesn't.

What is the name of the hotel and I can look it up?
    Best Western President Hotel at Times Square

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast