Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Families Giving back loses Tax exempt status

According to this article in the NY post no money made it to the ' planned beneficiaries'

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/o...Jep2bpqNjdPgmN

I tried to put this in an old Stars Striles and Skates thread but it was closed.
    Feel free to move or delete.

vCash
    Modlin said she never took a dime from the charity.
    "People make mistakes, and this was a ginormous one," she said.
    Yeah, Tara, you might say that. Wow.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    Wow! If this is true, it's just beyond sad. In addition to the skating "stars" participating in the shows (& who knew they got "consulting fees"? they were always described as volunteering to "support the cause"), there were always large children's numbers. Those kids & their families paid money to audition for the show, to be in it, to buy tickets and so on. Taking money from kids & not distibuting to beneficiaries? Not filing returns? Um, lots of explaining to be done, even with large expenses associated with the venues for the shows.

vCash
    Oh boy. What I'd like to know is what happened to the other three-hundred and some thousand dollars.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    In the comments someone says Tara M should go to jail for using the word "ginormous"

Ugh, I looked on Guidestar and their mission statement is terrible.

"911 Families Give Back aims to promote awareness of September 11th, 2001. Specifically we teach children in a family friendly manner, to never forget what happened on that day and those who sacrificed so much."

That doesn't say that they are giving money to anyone, it's just a vague promise to teach kids about 9/11.

I hope there will be more information about this.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    It doesn't say that it was the performers that got "consulting fees" - it could have gone to PR/advertising, or fees for lighting, arena rental, event staffing, etc. Generally, when skaters do charity shows, their travel and accomodations, transportation, food, etc, are paid for. Whether they receive fees depends on the agreements they negotiate. I would hope that they would not have insisted on performance fees for something like this, but who knows.

In any event, this is pretty bad. yeah, I would like to know what happened to the money - if Tara never took anything, where did it go? I can't imagine all of the money they raised over 9 years went to show expenses.

And did anyone else notice Johnny being described as an Oly champion? And then a bronze medalist (didn't say Worlds)?

vCash
    The article is poorly written. The consulting fees may not have gone to the skaters. I think the skaters were named as those who had travel fees. And what the heck is going on with weir's credentials? And is he involved in this? Or just a way to make his agent relevant to readers?

I'd like more information. But what a mess.

Eta: oops, Debbie S beat me to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    In the comments someone says Tara M should go to jail for using the word "ginormous"

Ugh, I looked on Guidestar and their mission statement is terrible.

"911 Families Give Back aims to promote awareness of September 11th, 2001. Specifically we teach children in a family friendly manner, to never forget what happened on that day and those who sacrificed so much."

That doesn't say that they are giving money to anyone, it's just a vague promise to teach kids about 9/11.

I hope there will be more information about this.
    I think the mission statement was changed to this vague one when the name change was done, but might be wrong about that. I do hope this isn't the way this sounds.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    And so she should!
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

moving right along
    vCash
    Phil Hersh, where are you? Get on this story.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I went to the first SS and S in Madison Square Garden in NYC, it was a great show..

But I never remember Michelle Kwan doing any of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    I went to the first SS and S in Madison Square Garden in NYC, it was a great show..

But I never remember Michelle Kwan doing any of them.
    I went to the first show, too. Sasha and Nancy were the headliners. I don't believe MK ever did any of the shows.

Some more has been added since the article was first posted:

Though money rolled in from ticket sales, it all melted away on hundreds of thousands of dollars on expenses such as consultants, travel and rent.

Modlin admitted that she hired her then-employer as a six figure consultant, and later paid one of her best friends.

The figure skating agent's group also footed the bills for transportation, hotels and meals for the Olypmpic bold-faced names like Nancy Kerrigan, Oksana Baiul, Sasha Cohen, Michelle Kwan and Viktor Petrenko, who performed at the events.

(snip)

She blamed a volunteer accountant for not filing tax documents from 2003 to 2009. Those income disclosures were ultimately filed together in 2010.

(snip)

Modlin claimed the group changed its original mission and instead chose to focus solely on the memorial skating events.

"Every single dollar we made went right back into the shows," Modlin said. "There was never any money in the foundation which is why we couldn’t do a show last year."
    Creative excuses. If the point of the show was to raise money for charity, and all it did was fund the show, then what was the purpose of having the show to begin with? I'm sure the parents of the kids (and the elite skaters and ticket-buying public) didn't put their time and money toward the show just to be in a show. They could do that at their home club/rink. What a lying piece of work.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Having met her now a few times, and to be diplomatic not bring impressed for reasons I'll keep to myself, somehow I'm sadly not surprised. But I will say the shows I've witnessed the skaters she hired/auditioned were always treated well, so I'm sure the athletes themselves were compensated properly. but for years to go by with bad taxes? Oy.

She does put on great shows. I've been to several. But it makes me wonder where the money goes.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    The article is poorly written. The consulting fees may not have gone to the skaters. I think the skaters were named as those who had travel fees. And what the heck is going on with weir's credentials? And is he involved in this? Or just a way to make his agent relevant to readers?

I think Johnny was mentioned because it made Tara relevant to readers as newspapers find Johnny's name as newsworthy. I'm sure Johnny's only involvement is skating in the shows. In one of his episodes of BGJW, Johnny mentioned that Tara made him promise he would appear in the show even though Galina did not want him to skate in any shows prior to the grand prix events. Galina showed up at rehearals and the look on Johnny's face was priceless.

vCash
    errrrrrrr. . . I bet there are some skaters who are glad to no longer be repped by Modlin.

vCash
    Well I doubt Johnny will be dropping Tara, Johnny unfortunately seems to blur the relationship between business and personal and Tara has become his confidant and friend.

vCash
    I'm not sure if I am mixing up my shows, but didn't Kate Gosselin emcee one year? She couldn't have been cheap. And one of the Real Housewives?

Sort of unrelated, but here's a New York Times article about Tara Modlin as one of the original Rent-a-Russian girls.

vCash
    I'm not sure what kind of "consultant" is needed to put on a ice show - since skating clubs seem to manage shows entirely with volunteers - but I find it hard to believe that even if a consultant was needed, it was necessary to pay them a six-figure salary for an ice show that happened once a year. Especially since a lot of the work beyond the show that was envisioned or promised - e.g. education, scholarships - never happened.

And if someone is getting paid a six-figure salary as a "consultant" while the accountant is (apparently) a volunteer....that's just ridiculous.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Capella View Post
    I'm not sure if I am mixing up my shows, but didn't Kate Gosselin emcee one year? She couldn't have been cheap. And one of the Real Housewives?

Sort of unrelated, but here's a New York Times article about Tara Modlin as one of the original Rent-a-Russian girls.
    Yes, she did. He is a pic of KG with JWe.

http://justjared.buzznet.com/photo-g...pes-skates-04/

vCash
    Oh, this is bad.

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast