Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

How many musicians have recorded "Halleuluah"?

I think this song must be the most over recorded song of all time.

With Michael Bolton's latest "musical" offering, he has done it. That is the bottom of the barrel.

It seems as if anyone who has some kind of recording contract thinks at some stage they must record it. And that it will give them some kind of musical credibility.

Yes there are some good versions. Jeff Buckley probably started it all and his is pretty good. kd lang kind of goes without saying. Maybe we should blame Shrek.

Weird Al doing a cover of it might make it interesting again (has he done one?).
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I don't know what the tally is ... but in an interview not that long ago Leonard Cohen himself said "enough already." Well, technically he said

"I was happy that the song was being used, of course. There were certain ironic and amusing sidebars, because the record that it came from which was called Various Positions - [a] record Sony wouldn't put out. They didn't think it was good enough. It had songs like Dancing to the End of Love, Hallelujah, If It Be Your Will. So there was a mild sense of revenge that arose in my heart. But I was just reading a review of a movie called Watchmen that uses it, and the reviewer said "Can we please have a moratorium on Hallelujah in movies and television shows?" And I kind of feel the same way. I think it's a good song, but I think too many people sing it."

I personally love the kd lang version, and the Jeff Buckley version is okay too, but I gotta agree: enough already!

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Love the kd lang version, she gets close to the emotion and feeling Cohen has when he sings it.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    Love the kd lang version, she gets close to the emotion and feeling Cohen has when he sings it.
    Plus she can, you know, sing.

Seriously though ... while sometimes I'm in the mood for his unique gravelly voice, I admire him far more as a songwriter/poet than as a singer.

vCash
    Looks like there are at least 100 versions on iTunes. Some that come up if you search the title are other songs.

There are piano versions. Live versions. Blues versions. Gospel versions.

Artists include Cohen, Buckley and Lang. But also Susan Boyle, Neil Diamond, Willie Nelson, Rufus Wainwright and Celtic Thunder.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    I think Lang's and Buckley's versions are iconic. Everyone else can go buh-bye...
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    I think Lang's and Buckley's versions are iconic. Everyone else can go buh-bye...
    ^What she said.

vCash
    I think "Yesterday" actually got into the Guinness Book of world records for the most covered pop song, but it's over 45 years old at this point. I am sure "Hallelujah" will catch up to it very soon!

vCash
    kd lang's is my favourite.

and of course, not a musician but Claude Lemieux recorded it for Battle of the Blades in season 1.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    From wikipedia:

In recent years "Hallelujah" has been performed by a large number and wide variety of artists. In addition to its first cover by Cale, the song has since been performed by almost 200 artists in various languages.[4] Statistics from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA); the Canadian Recording Industry Association; the Australian Recording Industry Association; and the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry show that, prior to late 2008, more than five million copies of the song sold in compact-disc format.[citation needed] It has been the subject of a BBC Radio documentary and been featured in the soundtracks of numerous films and television programs.[5] Different interpretations of the song may include different verses, out of the over 80 verses Cohen originally wrote.[6]
    Over 80 verses for one song? I wonder if anyone has recorded the full version of the song... Mr. Bolton...are you up to it?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    From wikipedia:

Over 80 verses for one song? I wonder if anyone has recorded the full version of the song... Mr. Bolton...are you up to it?
    I so hope not.

How long would it take to perform all 80 versions?

I suppose it would be a bit like doing the whole of Hamlet (that Kenneth Branagh did quite a few years ago).
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    www.secondhandsongs.com is a a good website if you want to look up cover versions of songs. They list 48 covers of Hallelujah in English, plus some versions in other language.

vCash
    It is a little much, but when I was a wee young snarker and had delusions of singing stardom, I had plans of covering that song. It was going to be awesome. Acapella gospel choir which would lead into an epic guitar solo--played by Slash of course, nothing but the best for moi. He would be happy to do it, nay, BEG to do it.

It's one of those songs that I think touches a lot of people in a lot of different ways. you can hear a different meaning in it everytime you hear it. I agree it's a lot, but I love singing this song so I get why so many others do as well.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    "Can we please have a moratorium on Hallelujah in movies and television shows?" And I kind of feel the same way. I think it's a good song, but I think too many people sing it."
    I absolutely love this song and thought it's interesting that its use in Watchmen came up because I thought it was such a great addition to the movie (a movie which I really liked and thoroughly enjoyed the soundtrack to). So to me while it does seem to pop up as a cover by a lot of artists, in this instance it was well used!

vCash
    Which version did The West Wing use during the episode where Zoe was kidnapped?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    Which version did The West Wing use during the episode where Zoe was kidnapped?
    Jeff Buckley's, I think. Though I thought it was the ep where CJ'S Secret Service kinda boyfriend got shot?

vCash
    I like Imogene Heaps acapella version

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I so hope not.

80 verses, not versions.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I so hope not.

I suppose it would be a bit like doing the whole of Hamlet (that Kenneth Branagh did quite a few years ago).
    Obviously that's the extended mix. Some British girl who won X factor or Britains Got Talent did it a few years ago. I remember hearing it and thinking she actually did it justice. Obviously not up to the original or K.D's version, but it was pretty good. I thought so anyway.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    Obviously that's the extended mix. Some British girl who won X factor or Britains Got Talent did it a few years ago. I remember hearing it and thinking she actually did it justice. Obviously not up to the original or K.D's version, but it was pretty good. I thought so anyway.
    Alexandra Burke

It's my favourite version of the song.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast