vCash

Photo Retouching

Hi guys! I have what I hope is a quick/easy question. I have a couple of pixes on my computer that I want to retouch (remove gray from hair) and crop people out of. What software is best for this? I want to post them online (possibly). I have a PC, not a Mac. is this software that I might already have or will I need to purchase something new? Simplicity is the key word here--I am new to all of this. Thanks for your help.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    When you say "cropping people out" do you mean cropping the frame so it cuts them off, or do you mean deleting them and putting something else in that space? If the latter, that requires some pretty hefty software. The only ones I'm aware of are Photoshop and Gimp.

vCash
    Yeah, to do a decent photo editing job, Photoshop is the way to go in my opinion.

It's pricey software, but it's a big investment that pays off in the long run.

For more simplicity, I'd recommend getting Lightroom. The interface is a little more intuitive for people with little experience in photo retouching.

It has all the essentials: cropping, make photos brighter, more colorful, etc.

But like Gazpacho said, if you meant cutting and pasting things in and out of images, then Photoshop is much better suited.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Cropping is usually easily done. You might even have software already in your Windows software. Lightroom would be my vote for simplicity. But if you are looking to remove something from a photo, to clone them out, then the heftily priced Photoshop or the freeware Gimp (gimp.org) are needed. But neither are simple software.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I will chime in here about Photoshop. It is worth every penny! My husband is a real whiz at it, but I am one of those "not very technical" people. However, he has taught me some Photoshop maneuvers, and I have to tell you-it isn't hard! And the difference it has made in my personal photos is amazing. I could learn a lot more, but just what I know has taken my images from ok to pretty good.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Photoshop Elements (a fraction of the price of Photoshop) has many great features, including the capability of changing color and surgically cropping. PE also lets you decide how large a file you want to upload.

Whatever you end up with, have fun!

vCash
    Can someone photoshop this? I think it needs just a touch of work.
    http://news.3yen.com/wp-content/imag...-ando-ugly.jpg

Seriously though, wouldn't you just kill the photographer?
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Thanks for the input, guys! I really appreciate it. I didn't realize that I have Photoshop on my computer already so that's what I'll use.

Cropping should work for me. I don't want to get too fancy. But I'll have my work cut out learning my "new" program.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post

Oh my!! I thought her face was bad but then I looked down!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Photoshop and Gimp are the way to go if you're doing really serious edits, but they're overkill for most work.

I recommend Helicon Filter over Photoshop Elements and Lightroom. It's only $20, and old versions are free. Helicon's noise reduction is also better than Adobe's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post

Why? The photographer was simply capturing what he saw. It was the editor decision to post or not post the image (Of course sometimes the editor and photographer are the same person ).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Oh my!! I thought her face was bad but then I looked down!
    I know right, "touching" of any sort sown there makes me get a little bit of sick in my throat.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.