Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Well, that was junior ranks. Once you step up to the big leagues, things change, pressure increases...I've yet to see Gilles have a breakout performance as a senior.

I guess it depends on how the summer comps go (? someone mentioned that she was doing some summer comps in preparation for next season) whether or not she will be given that SA spot...unless USFS uses the same reasoning as CZhang and goes with familiar face over unchartered territory.
    Gilles was 5th at TEB in 2009, her 1st senior GP event, her FS wasn't great but much better than what she's been putting out recently, and her SP there was clean and lovely. So she HAS skated well on the senior level, at least once, so idk if it's a pressure thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Gilles was 5th at TEB in 2009, her 1st senior GP event, her FS wasn't great but much better than what she's been putting out recently, and her SP there was clean and lovely. So she HAS skated well on the senior level, at least once, so idk if it's a pressure thing.
    As I think about it, perhaps Alexe felt 'lost in the shuffle' among Tom Z's other students who were probably really getting his attention, such as Flatt, Zawadzki, and Mroz as soon as they began to deliver top 10 performances at the World and Olympic level. It may have led to a deflation in motivation or confidence.

Alissa Fan Forever
    vCash
    I originally wanted Czisny, Gao and Baga before the assignments were announced. But now that Gao has 2 others spots and Zhang is assigned to SA with Czisny...I'm rooting for Baga to get the spot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    I originally wanted Czisny, Gao and Baga before the assignments were announced. But now that Gao has 2 others spots and Zhang is assigned to SA with Czisny...I'm rooting for Baga to get the spot.
    Isn't Baga still a junior?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Isn't Baga still a junior?
    Baga took the majority of last season off, but she did intend to skate as a senior at nats. So it's possible that she intends to be considered for senior internationals (rather than a third JGP season).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Baga took the majority of last season off, but she did intend to skate as a senior at nats. So it's possible that she intends to be considered for senior internationals (rather than a third JGP season).
    Or not. Idk, she had to withdraw from the JGPF last season so she might want to give the JGP another shot just because if she's in good form she should be able to get 2 assignments and a trip to the final that way, versus one assignment on the GP should she get the host spot and maybe a senior B or two. She's only 16 so I wouldn't be surprise if she's going to opt for the JGP again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Or not. Idk, she had to withdraw from the JGPF last season so she might want to give the JGP another shot just because if she's in good form she should be able to get 2 assignments and a trip to the final that way, versus one assignment on the GP should she get the host spot and maybe a senior B or two. She's only 16 so I wouldn't be surprise if she's going to opt for the JGP again.
    Definitely not doubting that it's a possibility, but there are a lot of really deserving juniors, and Kiri already has a [small] international presence.

vCash
    I can't come up with any eligible American lady who would be within 8th place so they could make some ranking points, so I'd give it to a foreign skater who only has 1 GPS spot. What about Viktoria Helgesson? She and Joshi skated well in SA last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Maybe reputation (from 4 years ago). Considering Zhang has had the most unfortunate and unlikely "growth spurt" in skating, I don't mind her getting getting a (last) chance.
    The growth spurt wasn't that unlikely. I sat next to the Zhang family at 2007 Nationals. Her older sister had been a skater and then had grown quite tall (think Karen Kwan tall) and the family was already concerned that the same thing would happen to Caroline.

vCash
    If Baga is still age eligible, she may want to consider staying in Juniors. There's a crush of young US ladies with more time as Seniors than her, whom she'd have to get through just to be noticed at that level

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tkaug View Post
    I can't come up with any eligible American lady who would be within 8th place so they could make some ranking points, so I'd give it to a foreign skater who only has 1 GPS spot. What about Viktoria Helgesson? She and Joshi skated well in SA last year.
    Maybe you should get educated and go watch a competition sometime. There's about 10-20 of them. Just because you haven't seen them on tv doesn't mean they don't exist....

Melissa Bulanhagui, Joelle Forte, Kiri Baga, Kristiene Gong, Courtney Hicks, Angela Wang, Barbie Long, Hannah Miller, Yasmin Siraj, Samantha Cesario, Lauren Dinh, Mckinzie Daniels, Amanda Dobbs, Vanessa Lam, Katarina Kulgeyko, Leah Keiser, Gracie Gold, just to name a few. Granted some will be on JGP but even so, there are PLENTY of worthy contendors.
    Last edited by haribobo; 07-05-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I think you're overreacting a little, haribobo. What tkaug posted isn't illogical, but it ain't gonna happen (TBA to a non-USA lady).

Forte, Bulanhagui, and Cesario (just to name 3 who have competed senior at Nationals) are scheduled to compete at Liberty next week (Siraj as well, but I expect her back on the JGP), and Gilles at Skate Detroit the week after. I don't yet know when Gong, Dobbs, and Baga are going to compete this summer.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-05-2011 at 02:08 PM.

vCash
    Mondays are tough. It felt like a good time to use my eyeroll. I know that those ladies aren't all guaranteed top 8 finishes if they were to compete, but 1) that really shouldn't be a criteria, and 2) they all have the potential to do that and more, so why not give at least one of the chance. I personally think its crazy (albeit very generous) that Japan gave away its lady TBA spot last year. Surely *some* mid-ranked Japanese lady would have treasured the opportunity. But also, the US ladies field of unassigned ladies is much deeper than the Japanese unassigned ladies field was last season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    Mondays are tough. It felt like a good time to use my eyeroll.
    Umm, it's Tuesday.

vCash
    Ahh its still Monday til I get home and my Tuesday night tv shows come on...oh crap The Voice is over, what is left to live for?

vCash
    I hope Lynn & Logan take a spot in the dance competition, they deserve a second Grand Prix assignment

vCash
    Ahh its still Monday til I get home and my Tuesday night tv shows come on...oh crap The Voice is over, what is left to live for?
    Hey, what's on Tuesday nights?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Hey, what's on Tuesday nights?
    Pretty Little Liars and The Nine Lives of Chloe King!

[Yes, I'm a teenager. Get over it! ]

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    If Baga is still age eligible, she may want to consider staying in Juniors.
    All the U.S. International Selection Pool skaters who are ISU Junior age-eligible this season are asked at which level they would like to compete internationally (senior vs. junior) and this decision has to be made, AFAIK, well before the Junior and Senior Grand Prix assignments happen.

vCash
    Hold your horses until Wednesday and watch So You Think You Can Dance. Awesome show!!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast