Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    I don't think Melissa gets any love from USFS. It's been like this for a while. I thought her nationals scores this year were scandalously low, especially the SP. I would definitely give her the Skate America spot over Zhang. And it's not like she tried to skate for Azerbaijan!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    And it's not like she tried to skate for Azerbaijan!
    Or the Philippines!

Bulanhagui is a first-generation Filipino (both of her parents were born in the Philippines).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't think Melissa gets any love from USFS. It's been like this for a while. I thought her nationals scores this year were scandalously low, especially the SP. I would definitely give her the Skate America spot over Zhang.
    I don't really have much of an issue with the choice of Zhang. Obviously it was at least partially a business decision to give a spot to her. Maybe she can drive a few more local ticket sales.

For all their problems, at least Zhang and Gilles have titles to their name and that's a selling point. For better or for worse.

ETA: about the scores at Nats- I don't think they were out of line. She's just not at the same level as the top skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Or the Philippines!

Bulanhagui is a first-generation Filipino (both of her parents were born in the Philippines).
    Surprised she's not representing PHI then. Would guarantee her a spot for all the events in existence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Michelle Kwan.

Or Sasha Cohen or Emily Hughes or Kimmie Meissner or maybe even Sarah

vCash
    Sadly, some people are drawn to a competition in which Zhang is competing just to see the train wreck----or much less likely, a triumph. I feel compassion for the young woman, but I really can't see wasting this spot on her. It's not like the excuse that she needs competitive experience is applicable anymore.

vCash
    Speaking of CZ, have we ascertained anything re her current state recently? I mean, is she perhaps fitter? or finally getting the 3z? She skated her new SP recently. Any notable improvements noted?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Surprised she's not representing PHI then. Would guarantee her a spot for all the events in existence.
    Yeah, if I were her, I would definitely take advantage of that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    But in 2011 Nationals went this way:

7 Vanessa Lam All Year FSC 162.91 6 7
    8 Yasmin Siraj SC of Boston 152.75 8 8
    9 Joelle Forte SC of New York 149.28 12 9
    10 Melissa Bulanhagui University of Delaware FSC 144.53 15 11
    11 Kristiene Gong All Year FSC 143.30 17 10
    12 Caroline Zhang All Year FSC 140.95 10 12
    13 Kelsey Traunero SC of Wilmington 128.30 18 13
    14 Alexe Gilles Broadmoor SC 123.75 11 16
    From that list...

7 Vanessa LAM - almost surely to do another season on the JGP
    8 Yasmin SIRAJ - ditto, JGP for her
    12 Caroline ZHANG - already assigned to SA
    13 Kelsey TRAUNERO - retiring and going to college

That leaves Forte (who was not spectacular at the Gardena Spring Trophy in April), Bulanhagui, Gong (possible JGP entrant again?), Gilles (meh...), and others who w/d from 2011 Nationals like Dobbs, Baga and Cesario.

I hope Dobbs, Gong, Bulanhagui and Forte are monitored over the summer for the TBA spot. I agree with someone else who said the USFS needs to not assign Gilles a major international this fall so that she can focus on training, build up her jump consistency and hopefully get some confidence back. In the end, uninterrupted training and/or not having the pressure of a GP assignment may end up being the best thing for her.

Bulanhagui doesn't seem to ever be a top choice by the USFS for a GP event, while Gong had a solid season last year and seems to be improving quite nicely under Frank Carroll.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I don't think you'd get much financial help from the federation. You pretty much spend your own money to go to internationals.

vCash
    All of Forte, Gong, Bulanhagui, Dobbs, Gilles, Baga and Cesario should be monitored during summer and the best 4 sent to Nebelhorn and Finlandia (2 in each event) which are at least 2 weeks before SA. Then the lady with the best score or result should get the TBD spot.

At least that's what I would do if I were the USFS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    From that list...

7 Vanessa LAM - almost surely to do another season on the JGP
    8 Yasmin SIRAJ - ditto, JGP for her
    12 Caroline ZHANG - already assigned to SA
    13 Kelsey TRAUNERO - retiring and going to college

That leaves Forte (who was not spectacular at the Gardena Spring Trophy in April), Bulanhagui, Gong (possible JGP entrant again?), Gilles (meh...), and others who w/d from 2011 Nationals like Dobbs, Baga and Cesario.

I hope Dobbs, Gong, Bulanhagui and Forte are monitored over the summer for the TBA spot.
    The latter two, plus Cesario and Felicia Zhang will be at Liberty. I'm almost certain USFS people will be in the stands watching, and the TBA spot at Skate America will definitely be a consideration point for then. So hopefully all these ladies skate their very best!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    All of Forte, Gong, Bulanhagui, Dobbs, Gilles, Baga and Cesario should be monitored during summer and the best 4 sent to Nebelhorn and Finlandia (2 in each event) which are at least 2 weeks before SA. Then the lady with the best score or result should get the TBD spot.

Sounds like a plan to me!

vCash

Sounds very fair but to prepare for an event like SA you ideally should more than 2 weeks.

Other option is to consider the highest scores from Summer comps.

vCash

Here's my thought:

1. Forte-IMO, a pretty good option. She deserves at least a Senior B.
    2. Gong-I don't know why, but I'm just not all that excited about her, after Nats and the JGPF last year. But if she does really well this summer, maybe it's worth it.
    3. Bulanhagui-would LOVE to see this happen.
    4. Dobbs-she's my favorite, hands-down, but I think she definitely needs monitoring this summer. And she should get a Senior B.
    5. Gilles-she's doing Skate Detroit, right? If she's significantly improved, great. If not, I still think she robbed Dobbs of a second GP last year (SA).
    6. Baga-I think she's adorable, but how's she doing?
    7. Cesario-she didn't even get two JGPs last year, and she placed 4th at the one she had! Any chance she would do a full JGP season and attempt to qualify for/win the final? I know she's 17 or 18, but still, she's age-eligible.

vCash
    If not Gilles, then the next one on the list is Dobbs IMHO

vCash
    IIRC last year the GP federations had to name their TBAs by mid-September or so, so if that's the case again then summer competitions will be the deciding factor for US skaters.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    IIRC last year the GP federations had to name their TBAs by mid-September or so
    Right, I don't think USFS was able to wait for the results of 2010 Nebelhorn Trophy, for example, because they announced/published the names of most of their Skate America TBA skaters on September 2, 2010 and the final Pairs TBA on September 21 (before the start of Nebelhorn).

vCash
    As I am understanding the posts above-

Summer Comps ----> Assignments at Nebelhorn and Finlandia ------> results there determine the spot at SA.

The results for '11 US Nats might not matter?

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Zhang ... will most likely have to skate at Sectionals for the first time since November 2005 (when she placed 3rd in Junior at 2006 Pacific Coasts).
    I saw her do that! Man, it's been ages since I saw a live FS comp though.

Quote Originally Posted by apollo13 View Post
    I don't think you'd get much financial help from the federation. You pretty much spend your own money to go to internationals.
    But you get to go. So it's a trade-off.

Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    As I am understanding the posts above-

Summer Comps ----> Assignments at Nebelhorn and Finlandia ------> results there determine the spot at SA.

The results for '11 US Nats might not matter?
    The posts above were "If I were running things, this is how I'd do it". We already know it won't be done that way because of the deadlines...
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast