Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 51 of 51
  1. #41
    Vacant
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Here and there
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,768
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9172
    The cover is vile and in terribly bad taste. It's received a LOT of adverse publicity here in the UK (naturally) and I just hope it makes people think twice before buying rather than rushing picking up a copy to see what the fuss is all about and thus increasing Newsweek's revenue.

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    11,774
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    But, yeh, she'd never look that haggard. And for chrissakes, they didn't update her hairdo at all.

    Total tabloid territory ... and maybe "newsy"/infotainment that is where they've decided to take Newsweek in order to delay the inevitable end of its print version.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,622
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    Make no mistake, this was done extremely deliberately, endorsed or maybe even designed by Tina Brown herself. Brown knew exactly what the reaction would be.
    Did she know people would cancel their subscriptions? Because that's what I'm hearing, and if she wanted that to happen, she's got rocks for brains.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

  4. #44

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    5,321
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9947
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Did she know people would cancel their subscriptions? Because that's what I'm hearing, and if she wanted that to happen, she's got rocks for brains.
    I don't think she cares. It doesn't matter if she gets fired from Newsweek for this. She's at a point in her career where she's gotten all the titles an editor would ever want. Now it's about her--making the splashes, drawing the attention she wants.

  5. #45
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,830
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    24455
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    I just hope it makes people think twice before buying rather than rushing picking up a copy to see what the fuss is all about and thus increasing Newsweek's revenue.
    Luckily we don't have to buy the magazine to see the cover.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,937
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    44601
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    I don't think she cares. It doesn't matter if she gets fired from Newsweek for this. She's at a point in her career where she's gotten all the titles an editor would ever want. Now it's about her--making the splashes, drawing the attention she wants.
    She's in danger of being remembered for all time not for all those titles and awards, but for the tacky exploitation of Princess Diana.

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,533
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42165
    I haven't looked at the cover, and won't.

  8. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,494
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    Make no mistake, this was done extremely deliberately, endorsed or maybe even designed by Tina Brown herself. Brown knew exactly what the reaction would be.
    Everyone is talking about it.

    Tons of publicity for them.

    That's surely what they aimed for.

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,471
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3806
    The cover is in poor taste for sure. A computer aging program didn't take into consideration that a woman of Diana's wealth and stature would have access to all the youth preserving cosmetic/surgical/esthetic treatments of today's woman. She would have been able to keep her youthful good looks with fillers, botox, and even plastic surgery. She would not have looked like that photo. That was horrible.
    Addicted to FSU

  10. #50
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,130
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    The cover is in poor taste for sure. A computer aging program didn't take into consideration that a woman of Diana's wealth and stature would have access to all the youth preserving cosmetic/surgical/esthetic treatments of today's woman. She would have been able to keep her youthful good looks with fillers, botox, and even plastic surgery. She would not have looked like that photo. That was horrible.
    Absolutely. And also as someone has already mentioned, chances are good that her hair style would have been more up to date.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  11. #51

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    I just returned from Barnes & Noble. They had the magazine there, so I saw the cover, but I had no desire to even touch the magazine to open it. I was not going to read that article; I just knew it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •