Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

vCash
    I don't get it - if Evan is thinking of coming back, what is he thinking of doing with his Stars on Ice contract? He can't just blow it off - it's a contract. While SOI allowed for his schedule when he was doing that DWTS program, that has national exposure here in the US and they probably figured would augment ticket sales. The GP does nothing for ticket sales here so how does it work, or are his assignments spaced so that he could do them and not miss any SOI shows?
    Last edited by Willowway; 06-28-2011 at 01:27 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    I don't get it - if Evan is thinking of coming back, what is he thinking of doing with his Stars on Ice contract? He can't just blow it off - it's a contract.
    Last year, the SOI production finalized cast contracts just a few weeks before the November premier show. Evan is going to make the decision at the end of summer, which would give him enough time on whether he will participate in the 2011-12 SOI tour or not.

vCash
    Oh, my understanding is that he is on a multi-year contract with SOI. Only some folks are on year-to-year and I'm pretty sure Evan is not one of those people but...

vCash
    from the article:

"Another skater recently had asked Carroll about training with him. The coach would not take that skater if Lysacek wanted to try to compete again, so Carroll told Lysacek he needed to make a decision by mid-June."

There are probably lots of guys who would love to work with Frank, but my guess is Adam Rippon. He's in direct competition with Evan for making the Worlds team and was looking for a coach recently.

vCash
    Oh, my understanding is that he is on a multi-year contract with SOI. Only some folks are on year-to-year and I'm pretty sure Evan is not one of those people but...
    Oh, then it is a completely different matter. Your worry is justified.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoptoad View Post
    from the article:

"Another skater recently had asked Carroll about training with him. The coach would not take that skater if Lysacek wanted to try to compete again, so Carroll told Lysacek he needed to make a decision by mid-June."

There are probably lots of guys who would love to work with Frank, but my guess is Adam Rippon. He's in direct competition with Evan for making the Worlds team and was looking for a coach recently.
    I usually enjoy a good comeback, but this makes me hope that Evan does go ahead and retire. I know it's not about taking turns, but Evan has already won the big titles and doesn't have a realistic chance to win them again. I'd rather see new talent get the opportunity to train with Carroll.

It's Evan's decision though, and if he does stay, I hope he enjoys competing and continues to have a positive influence on Mirai. That was the first thing I thought of when I read this, and it appears several other posters did too.

vCash
    It makes sense to retire on a "high". Common sense. But to each his own. I'd rather see Plushy stay retired than Evan.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Why do you think that Evan would have a multi-year contrct? I would think that, after Sarah Hughes's one season, SOI would not presume on the "reigning OGM" status, but would give a one year contract to see how he worked out.

vCash
    Because I heard at the time that it was a multi-year contract (at least 4 years) and the person who told me would know - that could be in error but I doubt it. Given his history and work ethic, I doubt that anyone would think Evan would go the Sarah Hughes route. Sarah was an exception - SOI traditionally gives the new OGM a multi-year contract and except for Sarah's decline, I don't believe that it has ever worked out that badly for them. Just using Sarah as a model would be very near-sighted and they have deep experience with their champions (US and otherwise) and headliners. Beyond that, a new US OGM has the considerable leverage to negotiate a multi-year contract and that's security. For SOI to ask a newly minted OGM to 'try out' for a year is an insult that no producer would even think of throwing at talent they wanted and needed.
    Last edited by Willowway; 06-28-2011 at 02:37 PM.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    if it doesn't pan out, perhaps he's like to try pairs? I bet he could lift Caitlyn no problemo
    Great idea!

vCash
    Because I heard at the time that it was a multi-year contract (at least 4 years) and the person who told me would know - that could be in error but I doubt it. Given his history and work ethic, I doubt that anyone would think Evan would go the Sarah Hughes route. Sarah was an exception - SOI traditionally gives the new OGM a multi-year contract and except for Sarah's decline, I don't believe that it has ever worked out that badly for them. Just using Sarah as a model would be very near-sighted and they have deep experience with their champions (US and otherwise) and headliners. Beyond that, a new US OGM has the considerable leverage to negotiate a multi-year contract and that's security. For SOI to ask a newly minted OGM to 'try out' for a year is an insult that no producer would even think of throwing at talent they wanted and needed.
    Thank you for answering my question.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I know I wrote that Olympic champions competing is something I like but he really adds nothing contributes nothing and is all about celebrating jump regression in mens skating
    You're still bitter 1.5 years later, eh?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Publicity stunt.

I'd happily bet money on him not actually competing again.

I mean look at the protocols from the Men's competition at 2011 Worlds. The bar has been raised a lot and Evan never had a consistent quad.
    He definitely could have been at least third at this past Worlds, quad or not. I mean, if he skated like he did in Vancouver, he would have defeated sloppy Gachinski on the program components alone.

I used to live in Adam's curls, but he cut them - so now I'm homeless. =o(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    You're still bitter 1.5 years later, eh?
    There are people still bitching about Oksana, so get used to it!

I'm sooooooo excited Evan is coming back!

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Why do you think that Evan would have a multi-year contrct? I would think that, after Sarah Hughes's one season, SOI would not presume on the "reigning OGM" status, but would give a one year contract to see how he worked out.
    Sarah was 3 yrs out of her Oly win..She showed up out of shape and, IMHO, made a fool of herself. Like Evan or not, the guy never does anything less than 100%.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    if it doesn't pan out, perhaps he's like to try pairs? I bet he could lift Caitlyn no problemo
    Good thought! Tall enough, except he'd need to build up his upper torso. Has all the triple jumps. A new beginning!
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    What can I say, it seems that he really wants to compete so I wish him good luck.
    So do I. My heart will always belong to Plushy but Evan was a worthy Olympic champion. I'd enjoy watching them compete against one another again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I´m very happy if Evan is indeed coming back, WOW!!! And I think he has a very realistic attitude, he just very much has missed competing:
    You d think so? when Evgeni chose to comeback for Vancouver cause he missed the andrenaline and competing as he had said, he was also 26+ years old but in this case I thought he was an old grandpa who would embarass himself by coming back as a reigning OC. Times do change..

Good luck on Evan, it certainly needs a great effort and concetration to come back to daily training and thats inspiring anyway!

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Given all the injuries Plushy and Evan have had, I am torn between thinking they are amazing or just plain crazy for wanting to come back to competitive skating.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Watch the world team be Lysacek/Mroz or something equally zzzzzzzz worthy.
    ITA!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast