Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441

    Shocking/disappointing breakups in FS

    The most recent splits of ice dance (Crone-Poilier, Samuelson-Bates) and pairs (Dube-Davisson, Yankowkas-Coughlin) teams have been shocking. That started me thinking/wondering of past break ups in FS, and they are not limited to pairs and ice dance.

    To me the most shocking one still remains- Michelle Kwan splitting from Frank Caroll just before the 2002 Olympic season.

    Another one was Ina-Dungjen splitting after a 4th place finish at the 1998 Olympics.

    Chen Lu splitting from her coach of many years after winning a world gold (95) and world silver (96) was also shocking, and it really affected her skating in 1997.

    Jamie Silverstein-Justin Pekarek break up was very disappointing to me because I really liked this ice dance team. Later Jamie went to the Olympics with Ryan O'Meara but ended the partnership (retired from skating) after just one year. That was even more disappointing.

    I remember being shocked when Mishkutenok-Dmitriev split in 1994 (or was it 1995 after they skated a few pro programs?). Even though Natalia did not want to go to another Olympic, I thought she would at least want to skate professionally with Artur, but I think they split because Artur wanted to continue as eligible and Natalia did not want to anymore.

    The most famous has to be Rodnina-Ullanov split after 4 world titles and an OGM, but I was not watching FS then. So it's hard to be shocked or disappointed by it, particularly since Irina won two OGMs with Zaitsev after that.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    593
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The split that "shocked" me at the time was the split of Kristi Yamaguchi and Rudy Galindo as a pair team.
    In hindsight of course, it was a great move for Kristi, as two years later she won the Olympic Gold medal. Rudy had to wait a bit longer for his success, but I was very happy he succeeded to become a National champion and a world bronze medalist..

    But at the time I was disappointed..

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,043
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think this season takes the cake for me for the most shocking splits.

    I was a bit disappointed by the breakups of Marcoux/Buntin and Langlois/Archetto for Canada, but they weren't so bad as the ones this season.

    Khokhlova/Novitski was very disappointing, but not at all shocking and pretty inevitable considering his injury.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    completely beside myself
    Posts
    425
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralgraph View Post
    The split that "shocked" me at the time was the split of Kristi Yamaguchi and Rudy Galindo as a pair team.
    At the time I was also very disappointed but I wasn't shocked. After 2 consecutive Worlds in which she did well -- but missed the podium -- in both pairs and singles, it looked like if she ever wanted to medal, she'd have to give up one. I think the TV commentators hinted at this prior to the breakup. It made sense to keep singles since the timing was great: the elimination of figures.

    Although we spectators didn't know this at the time, Rudy later admitted that he sometimes had shown up for pairs practices after drinking. In that dangerous situation I would have ended the partnership immediately!

    Sigh.... What fun they were to watch. It's hard to believe that over 20 years ago they did a side-by-side triple flip-triple toe sequence!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,716
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33350
    How about Kwan and Frank (and even Lori). That one shocked the crap out of me, especially being that it happened going into the Olympic season.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    How about Kwan and Frank (and even Lori). That one shocked the crap out of me, especially being that it happened going into the Olympic season.
    That was mentioned in the opening post as the most shocking to me.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    My old Kentucky home, far away
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,429
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5515
    For me it was definitely Michelle Kwan splitting from Frank Caroll.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,716
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33350
    I amaze myself. I skimmed your post quickly and read every single one except Michelle and Frank. Sorry! Then I agree!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,332
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Chen Lu splitting from her coach of many years after winning a world gold (95) and world silver (96) was also shocking, and it really affected her skating in 1997.
    Wasn't she also injured this year ?

  10. #10
    Fetalized since 1998
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Waving my Adam banner
    Posts
    2,586
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33733
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    For me it was definitely Michelle Kwan splitting from Frank Caroll.
    Me, too.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I amaze myself. I skimmed your post quickly and read every single one except Michelle and Frank. Sorry! Then I agree!
    No problem. Happens to most of us at times.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,295
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    G&P and U&Z splitting and swapping partners.

    It was like the stuff of skating fanfics.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Skating in a Canadian beautiful way
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,752
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    13973
    For me it was when Bourne & Kraatz split just after turing pro.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    G&P and U&Z splitting and swapping partners.

    It was like the stuff of skating fanfics.
    Yes, it was almost a soap opera.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,108
    vCash
    1554
    Rep Power
    17003
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Wasn't she also injured this year ?
    Do Chinese skaters have a choice as to who coaches them?

    I think Bourne and Kraatz was the most shocking to me. They were just at the point where they could start making money after a long competitive career, and at that time it was so rare for a North American pair to medal (let alone gold) in ice dance.

    I think it had to partly to do with Morozov. Kraatz claimed he still wanted to train seriously and apparently Morozov wasn't that into it. Kraatz said in one inter view something to the effect that 'I don't know what he is doing (meaning Morozov)'. It's interesting that he and Bourne weren't even communicating until after she divorced Morozov.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441
    Grishchuk & Platov- right after their second OGM when they should have been making lots of money as pros, they split. From what I read, years later they even had some regrets about it (at least Oksana/Pasha did).

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemba View Post
    Although we spectators didn't know this at the time, Rudy later admitted that he sometimes had shown up for pairs practices after drinking. In that dangerous situation I would have ended the partnership immediately!
    You're kidding! Man, I'd be scared stiff to be hoisted up in the air by a partner who'd just been hitting the sauce.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,108
    vCash
    1554
    Rep Power
    17003
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    You're kidding! Man, I'd be scared stiff to be hoisted up in the air by a partner who'd just been hitting the sauce.
    Also, I think he just wasn't big enough to make it at pairs much longer.


    Averbukh dropping Anissina to skate with Lobecheva was also a shock, although it worked out well for Gwendal Peizerat.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,295
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I think it had to partly to do with Morozov. Kraatz claimed he still wanted to train seriously and apparently Morozov wasn't that into it. Kraatz said in one inter view something to the effect that 'I don't know what he is doing (meaning Morozov)'. It's interesting that he and Bourne weren't even communicating until after she divorced Morozov.
    I remember her spending far more time hugging Morozov than Kraatz when she found out they won worlds.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    4,924
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32055
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    To me the most shocking one still remains- Michelle Kwan splitting from Frank Caroll just before the 2002 Olympic season.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I amaze myself. I skimmed your post quickly and read every single one except Michelle and Frank. Sorry! Then I agree!
    That's ok; it was shocking enough to bear repeating!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •