Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Umm...where? Because we filled up our old truck in Omaha with well over $50 on a credit card more than once before we traded it.
    Uh, up and down 72nd street, up and down 84th street to name a few. And in CB on Veteran's Drive

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    I believe Skate Talker is thinking of a Visa or MC gift card, not a pre paid CC.
    Yes, you are correct - it was a Visa Gift Card. Anyway thanks to everyone for all the interesting information on this thread. Many things I did not know so this has been very useful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Uh, up and down 72nd street, up and down 84th street to name a few. And in CB on Veteran's Drive
    That's why you stay out of Counciltucky. Northwest Omaha does not do this.

I would guess it has to do with something other than high prices, as FigureSpin said.

vCash
    That's why you stay out of Counciltucky. Northwest Omaha does not do this.

I would guess it has to do with something other than high prices, as FigureSpin said.
    I had some comments, but they are not printable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    I had some comments, but they are not printable.
    Oh, take a breath. I don't like Omaha either. Living there with the traffic and congestion and the people who have never seen a cow outside a petting zoo and think farming is unnecessary and the state does not exist or matter west of Lincoln was horrid. And Lincoln is possibly worse since they can't manage their traffic and their city planning is a disaster. And I practically grew up in Lincoln.

If the opportunity presents itself, I'd love to move back to the central part of Nebraska.

vCash
    PD there is so much wrong with your statement, but I can appreciate it is your POV. You make assumptions about who or what I believe or my experiences that are no where near the truth.

Anyway, back to the topic - an interesting read on pre-paid credit cards/debit cards or store cards. In part

Hardekopf thinks the credit card discussion is part of a larger discussion that families need to have to help their kids become responsible adults.
    "I think we do a great job training our kids,” he said. “We potty train them. We teach them how to ride a bike, to drive a car. But we do a bad job as parents training them how to handle money. And when you look at society, we don’t do a good job of talking about sex and money, two of biggest problems we all face."

vCash
    When I was 12, my grandfather gave me a prepaid AmEx. The only complaint I had is that the card automatically deducts a service fee of $2 a month after 12 months. At 12, I was barely allowed to go to the mall by myself (there's no "walking to the mall" in Los Angeles), so I didn't spend the money that quickly, and I lost about $10 in service fees.

AmEx cards also cost $25 to buy the card (or something like that).

Either way, I loved the card. It was a really great entrée to the "big world" of spending money, and it was a lot safer than a debit card (because it wasn't linked to a bank account).

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    The only annoyance I've found with pre-paid credit cards is if you try to buy something for an amount more than the balance of the card. They may have fixed this flaw since, I remember trying to purchase, say, $60 worth of stuff and having a $50 pp card. The store's computer couldn't figure out to deduct $50 and then ask for another $10 from me -- it simply wouldn't work at all, unless the cashier manually punches in $50, then asks for the balance. That's bad enough if you have the full amount on the card, but if you've used it earlier to buy $12.31 worth of stuff, you have remember the balance, then tell the store cashier to apply only $37.69 to your purchase.

Yes, you can get the balance online and/or by phone, but still annoying.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    Entire post.

The authorization hold lengths differ by transaction category. Most authorizations clear with 72 hours -- either a charge is settled or hold on the credit limit is cleared. Hotels are in a different category, and can keep the hold much longer, but not indefinitely. I've stayed in hotels for weeks at a time where I've had to settle my account when the bill reached a certain limit (India) or weekly (a B&B in Dublin).
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    My dad hated those in general, though, as the goal for convenience stores is always to get people in the door to buy soda and snacks--since that is where the profit is made, not on fuel. Fountain soda has the best profit margin in those places.
    Very true. The other mistake many bean-counters make is in changing 24-hours stations to 18-hours if sales are low during the overnight. We learned the hard way that a clerk can help prevent theft and vandalism during those hours and it's cheaper than paying a security guard. One station was trashed and robbed while it was closed. The stolen cartons of cigarettes were worth more than the computer they took. Station went back to 24-hours the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    The only annoyance I've found with pre-paid credit cards is if you try to buy something for an amount more than the balance of the card. They may have fixed this flaw since, I remember trying to purchase, say, $60 worth of stuff and having a $50 pp card.
    That's still an issue. We had two $50 Mastercard or Visa cards that we tried to use for an $80 dinner at Benihanas. The waitress kept trying to charge $80 against each of the cards. We were really embarrassed because she came back to the table and announced that the cards had been "declined." Well, duh, they said "Max charge $50" right on the card! We had no trouble using the cards elsewhere - the clerk knew to only charge $50 to the first card and then the balance against the second card. No problem.

I used a permanent marker to record the balance on the card itself, so I knew what was left.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12