Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Tara had a great salchow from a young age, consistently being able to tack on to the end of a sequence (combination, whatever) after a double axel or triple toe.

Joannie also has a wonderful salchow, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BmcC102 View Post
    Tara had a great salchow from a young age, consistently being able to tack on to the end of a sequence (combination, whatever) after a double axel or triple toe.
    I wouldn't say it was a great Salchow, since her jumping technique was really inspired by roller skating. So, I'd say she had not a good jumping technique but an incredible ability to rotate.

vCash
    Though Yuna's 3S is not powerful like her other jumps, I think it is pretty&graceful.

09TEB
    Olympics
    10Worlds EX

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Laetitia Hubert's 1997 Worlds LP Salchow was amazing, but I can't find a video.
    She also had a HUGE Salchow in her LP at Goodwill Games 98, if I remember correctly, although the rest of the program had some problems.

vCash
    I always thought this 3sal from Michelle was really good. It had great lift, good air and a solid and easy landing...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    You're right Pinky! Risa's 3s-3t was very big and covered a lot of ice. She reminds me a lot of Shizuka with a little bit of Mao sprinkled in. I like her!
    The salchow has a heavily two-footed take-off and the toe is slightly under-rotated.

I always thought this 3sal from Michelle was really good. It had great lift, good air and a solid and easy landing...
    That is excellent, actually. And I'm really surprised because I remember Kwan's jumps being rather small. But this is huge, effortless and super solid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    The salchow has a heavily two-footed take-off and the toe is slightly under-rotated.
    The same reason I don't like Arakawa's salchow.

That is excellent, actually. And I'm really surprised because I remember Kwan's jumps being rather small. But this is huge, effortless and super solid.
    What are you talking about! The Kween always had excellent technique on the toe, sal and flip. Her jumps were never small, but perhaps didn't compare with Slutskaya's. But hers also tended to have more flow out and better distance than Slutskaya's.

Another 2 examples of excellent 3sals from the Kween would be 2000 Worlds Red Violin free skate - you can literally hear the flow of the landing and 2000 exhibition Kissing You - she held the landing beautifully.

vCash
    I always loved Kwan's salchow. I wished she'd played with tacking on the 1/2loop 3sal onto jumps.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    yuna's salchow jump montage. I think she gets great height, rotation and distance on the jumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRF5deKaIds

I personally prefer her salchow at the olympics. that was so light like nothing.

vCash
    wow that was so high and easy!!

vCash
    Nope, check the protocols: full credit for the 3s-3t and +GOEs across the board...

Michelle wasn't a small jumper; she wasn't a big jumper either. I'd say her jumps were in the middle: not huge and not small. What she did have was excellent riding edges, flow and check on her landings which is something I miss seeing nowadays. It irks me that many skaters check their landings for all of a millisecond before moving on. I realize COP is to blame for this (you can't spend time holding a landing b/c you have to rush on to the next element) but I really miss jumps like this or this. It allows the judges to see the quality of the jump as well as how in control the skater is of the jump when they can hold an exiting edge.

I love Mirai for that reason. She takes the time to check many of her landings beautifully...

Vacant
    vCash
    Michelle wasn't a small jumper; she wasn't a big jumper either. I'd say her jumps were in the middle: not huge and not small. What she did have was excellent riding edges, flow and check on her landings which is something I miss seeing nowadays. It irks me that many skaters check their landings for all of a millisecond before moving on. I realize COP is to blame for this (you can't spend time holding a landing b/c you have to rush on to the next element) but I really miss jumps like this or this. It allows the judges to see the quality of the jump as well as how in control the skater is of the jump when they can hold an exiting edge.

I love Mirai for that reason. She takes the time to check many of her landings beautifully...
    ITA about landing edges and Kwan had some of the best ever. I think CoP is too easy an excuse for stuff like this. We're talking a couple of seconds max to hold a landing edge with good flow out and excellent bodyline on the free leg. If they can't afford that much time per landing and don't have the time to fit in the other elements then they need to brush up on their basic skating to get around quicker and MAKE time.

vCash
    excellent riding edges, flow and check on her landings which is something I miss seeing nowadays. It irks me that many skaters check their landings for all of a millisecond before moving on. I realize COP is to blame for this (you can't spend time holding a landing b/c you have to rush on to the next element)
    If that's an intentional choice, then it may be penny wise, pound foolish. Building in time to hold the landings with excellent riding edges and flow, or even adding some difficulty to the landings as Kwan often did with her double axels early on, could earn an extra GOE point, maybe even two, for each jump. Assuming the skater has the skill to do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    If that's an intentional choice, then it may be penny wise, pound foolish. Building in time to hold the landings with excellent riding edges and flow, or even adding some difficulty to the landings as Kwan often did with her double axels early on, could earn an extra GOE point, maybe even two, for each jump. Assuming the skater has the skill to do it.
    A lot of times, that's the case. Skaters sometimes disguise bad landings with a quick check out of it. I think it'd be neat to add a rule that a landing must be held for a full two seconds, similarly to how they demand the spiral be held for 3 seconds or however long it is now.

vCash
    I don't think you need to hold a jump landing for x amount of seconds to prove that the landing is secured. When a skater lands a jump with security you definitely know it regardless of how long the landing edge is held.

vCash
    Nancy Kerrigan had a great 3S.

Here she lands two in this program, as well as a great 3T+3T.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sguvt4USAk

Later in her career she would do walley-walley-3S. Nice tight feet.

Tonya Harding had an excellent 3S as well. Raw power.

Funny, as it was their rival Kristi Yamaguchi's worst jump.

This was such an exciting time in U.S. ladies skating.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123